Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

If she's on maternity leave, then she's not involved in this at all. Someone in her office is handling it. Or not handling it, apparently.

Regardless, I don't think we need to be trashing her personally. Maternity leave isn't a vacation. Probably been a while since some of you old farts have had babies around, but I'm telling you as a parent of a baby, it's a lot of work and you don't bring your job home on maternity leave. The school could get in major trouble if they asked her to work during leave, too.

Go after the administration, school, and Title IX office all you want for dragging their feet to a completely unacceptable degree, but it's pretty low to go after someone on maternity leave.

Systems should have been in place to handle one persons absense. At this stage in game the responsibility for this is that of one person, Fred.  As the old saying goes, A fish rots from the head. 

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, LindellWest said:

Systems should have been in place to handle one persons absense. At this stage in game the responsibility for this is that of one person, Fred.  As the old saying goes, A fish rots from the head. 

And I'm 100% sure they were put in place. Maternity leave is not a surprise, after all.

From what I can tell, Pestello removed himself from the situation on day one. Completely. Responsibilities were delegated to the third party investigator and Title IX office - which would've made arrangements for Kratky's impending leave, if she wasn't out already (returning mid-February means she's been gone since at least mid-November). I personally don't want the University president meddling in cases like this. It seems corrupt and irresponsible, and opens the school up to lawsuits. But that doesn't mean he had to go silent.

To me, it's hard to put 100% of the blame on Pestello because there are other people running point on this and we don't know exactly who they are, or why it's taking so long. I personally think Pestello's failure here is a lack of communication. I don't buy the theory that he's personally telling anyone to drag their feet.

I don't think he's doing anything related to this case - and that's back to my issue. Even if he's supposed to stay out of the process as president of the school, he could at the very least keep himself up to date on where everything stands and be communicating internally and publicly. He's issued one statement, at about the 60-day mark. When that happened, it felt way too late. Why couldn't he have given that statement within the first couple weeks? Why couldn't he have updated us at each milestone (investigation complete, recommendation is being discussed, etc.)? Why couldn't he be sending an assistant to check on this daily and convey a sense of urgency? He's getting destroyed on social media and among fans and alums right now, and this could have been prevented if he just talked to us. He doesn't have to give an opinion, but there's no reason he couldn't say something like "I can't be involved in this process because of my position, but here's where it currently stands, and we hope for a fair and timely resolution". Something like that given to the public periodically would've gone a long way.

Instead, he's going to keep getting criticized - and experiencing the financial pain, as people pull donations and stop buying tickets - until this wraps up. It seems mostly avoidable, and it's a shame.

majerus mojo, CBFan, JMM28 and 2 others like this

10 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Edit:  So, the appeals process has not yet begun.  Sigh...

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

SLU has sat on the hearing officers findings this long?  Jesus.  

Well, there it is. Rosenblum said he had reviewed the report as of 12/27, which meant the school got it from the third-party investigator sometime before that in December. I'll never understand why it took a month, give or take, to come up with a decision. Timeline, for reference: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billiken-beat/timeline-of-slu-s-title-ix-investigation-updated/article_4d1dbc63-1d6b-52aa-a044-c16b2a8b795a.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

I'd be curious to know who the hearing officer was for this case, but I'm sure that person has been told to stay anonymous because of the swelling backlash.

The statement's time references are vague ("have been communicated"). Could be they released the statement today because finally pressure was building, it's a Friday, and the potential government shutdown consumes news space.

11 minutes ago, GoBills73 said:

i thought they were already in the appeal stage?   geez   MAKE A DECISION

Just now, DeSmetBilliken said:

The statement is saying that the decision was communicated to "each" of the parties. That implies that there are two people involved. Does that set off any alarm bells, given that there are 3 accusers and 3 players?

Each party: defendant(s) and plaintiff(s). Could be multiples on each side. Doesn't tell us anything about specific numbers (although I don't think there are more than 2 accusers).

3 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

The statement is saying that the decision was communicated to "each" of the parties. That implies that there are two people involved. Does that set off any alarm bells, given that there are 3 accusers and 3 players?

I don't think 'each' indicates only 2 people.

I have 5 students who take the test. I grade the tests. I communicate the results to each of them.

4 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Since when does "each" mean only two?

3 weeks to make a decision that literally should have taken 3 hours at the most.  inept inept inept it is so embarrassing to have my alma mater act as such.  i think i am going to change my resume to say education history Dale Carnegie instead of Saint Louis University.  

18 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Forgive me if the answer is in another tweet or post but it doesn't say WHEN the findings were reported, correct? If they were reported last week, we could be  half way through the appeals process by now in theory.