Signed Recruit Thread

WVBilliken

51 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Gordon didn't do much last night in a 60-32 win over Vianney. 3 points on 1-4 shooting and 1-2 from the line. He had 4 fouls, so he may have gotten in foul trouble early and then stashed on the bench because he wasn't needed. Ramey only had 6, and R.J. Wright got to be the man for WG, with 28.

I saw some reports on Twitter that Gordon got hit with some ticky-tack fouls.  Do you know if he has been foul prone w WG?  I feel like he has been a little bit, but I haven't follow very closely.  I hope that's not the case next year, but I guess we have plenty of frontcourt depth if he is.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I saw some reports on Twitter that Gordon got hit with some ticky-tack fouls.  Do you know if he has been foul prone w WG?  I feel like he has been a little bit, but I haven't follow very closely.  I hope that's not the case next year, but I guess we have plenty of frontcourt depth if he is.

I don't get the sense that he is, at least any more than any other HS big. @wgstl might have a better idea.

Our signees are playing on consecutive nights this week:

Pearson and his John Hardin squad (26-7) take on Campbellsville (16-15) in the Region 5 semifinals tonight at 5:00 Central at Marion County. I don't think there's a video stream, but audio is at ESPN 106.1 Elizabethtown. If JHHS can advance tonight, they'll get the winner of LaRue County (28-2) and Adair County (20-11, with 5-star 2021 PG Zion Harmon).

Thatch and Sikeston (25-2) play Hillsboro (24-4) in the Class 4 sectionals tomorrow at 7:45 at the Farmington Civic Center. No stream info available yet. Gaven Pinkley is the star for Hillsboro, and should find himself at a D-I school soon. Should be a good one. The winner gets the St. Mary's-Vashon winner in the quarterfinals. Brutal road for these four teams.

Gordon and Webster Groves (18-9) play CBC (13-13) in the Class 5 sectionals Wednesday at 7:45 at St. Charles West HS. No stream info available yet. CBC has been up and down this year and lost Davion Bradford, who transferred to Hillcrest, but they're on a 5-game winning streak and have a talented young player in Caleb Love (2020 SLU offer). The winner will take on Battle or Fort Zumwalt South in the quarterfinals.

Though he technically isn't a signed player, Demarius Jacobs and his Hillcrest team will play Lincoln Prep (GA) on Friday at 4:30 in Owensboro, KY for the Grind Session national championships. Hillcrest won it all last year. Quarterfinals and semifinals are Saturday, with the championship game on Sunday.

TFord and TRavs likes this

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Gordon and Webster Groves (18-9) play CBC (13-13) in the Class 5 sectionals Wednesday at 7:45 at St. Charles West HS. No stream info available yet. CBC has been up and down this year and lost Davion Bradford, who transferred to Hillcrest, but they're on a 5-game winning streak and have a talented young player in Caleb Love (2020 SLU offer). The winner will take on Battle or Fort Zumwalt South in the quarterfinals.

-I looked to see if this was the tall kid that used to be at CBC and it is, when you say Hillcrest I thought Springfield, MO but this is AZ Hillcrest, the same place we got Jacobs, per 24/7 sports Bradford has offers from Prairie View (just to list all of them) AZ St and Nevada (a tourney team), I wonder if we are on him? rated as 4 stars

Just now, Cowboy said:

-I looked to see if this was the tall kid that used to be at CBC and it is, when you say Hillcrest I thought Springfield, MO but this is AZ Hillcrest, the same place we got Jacobs, per 24/7 sports Bradford has offers from Prairie View (just to list all of them) AZ St and Nevada (a tourney team), I wonder if we are on him? rated as 4 stars

SLU has undoubtedly watched him and was tracking him prior to his transfer because he's a local kid but I don't know if we'll remain in the picture at all now that he's playing for a national prep team. Yes, he's a teammate of Jacobs now.

With the win, John Hardin plays LaRue County tonight at 6:00 Central at Marion County for the Region 5 championship. LaRue County is 29-2 and 17-1 in Region 5, with that sole loss coming to John Hardin back on December 19th, a 76-56 blowout (the other loss this season was to 34-1 Scott County, a favorite to win the KY State Tournament). So it should be a battle tonight, a game John Hardin can win but a tough team to beat twice.

23 hours ago, Pistol said:

Thatch and Sikeston (25-2) play Hillsboro (24-4) in the Class 4 sectionals tomorrow at 7:45 at the Farmington Civic Center. No stream info available yet. Gaven Pinkley is the star for Hillsboro, and should find himself at a D-I school soon. Should be a good one. The winner gets the St. Mary's-Vashon winner in the quarterfinals. Brutal road for these four teams.

Bump for Sikeston and Thatch. No video, but audio available here for tonight's game.

On 3/3/2018 at 6:56 PM, Pistol said:

I don't get the sense that he is, at least any more than any other HS big. @wgstl might have a better idea.

nah refs have been pretty fair.  Like a lot of players, gordons fouls comes in spurt's.  The second he gets frustrated he starts fouling. 

Sikeston just barely squeaked one out against Hillsboro, 57-56. Thatch had 29 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, and a steal. He scored 10 of Sikeston's 12 points in the fourth quarter, which Sikeston entered down by 5.

Hillsboro led for the first four and a half minutes of the fourth. That is, until Thatch's eyes were widened and the ball started to find his hands every trip. He scored Sikeston's last six points to put his team ahead for good.

"I just lock in and focus on a certain situation or a certain play," Thatch said. "I told myself I was either going to score the ball or they were going to foul me. One of the two... Something just took over and I didn't want to lose the game. If we lose, you know I went down fighting."

The Sikeston senior buried a 3 to put the Bulldogs up 54-53 at the 3:05 mark.

He bullied a ball away from Pinkley moments later, got fouled on the other end and sank both free throws to extend Sikeston's lead to 56-53.

Thatch's final heroic deed ended at the free throw line after again muscling his way to the basket where he hit one of two free throws with 59 seconds left to make it 57-54.

"He's the best player I've every played with in high school basketball," Long said. "Best player I've ever seen."

Sikeston will play St. Mary's at Jefferson Community College at 2:45 on Saturday. These are the two best remaining teams in Class 4, and probably the two best overall in that class.

"All I know is that Vashon beat me two years,' Thatch said. "I don't plan on losing any more this season. They just better be ready. I'm going to be ready. My teammates are going to be ready."

Edited with Thatch's stats and the above quotes.

John Hardin defeated LaRue County 48-46 to win the Region 5 finals and head to state at Rupp Arena. That was John Hardin's lowest point total in almost 4 years. Pearson led all scorers with 20 points. He was 2-5 from the perimeter, with 5 rebounds, 1 steal, and a couple key assists.

John Hardin will take on Pikeville on March 14th at 7:00 Central. Pikeville is 23-9 and about as far away as you can get from Hardin County within the Commonwealth of Kentucky. It's on the far eastern edge of the state, deep Appalachia. It's an interesting matchup because Pikeville does well against the teams out in their area, but doesn't have any big wins outside of EKY. They have a kid who scores 24 per game and another who scores 14.5. They don't look like much on paper and look like a favorable draw relative to a lot of other Sweet 16 matchups.

13 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Impressive numbers from Gordon. Caleb Love someone that SLU is recruiting? He's 2020 correct?

Post Dispatch article says he had 17 rebounds. We are going to be an incredible rebounding team next year.

Here's a link to some Gordon highlights from last night. Post write-up. And some more pics (the P-D has some good ones):

“I was just trying to get my team involved, play hard and finish around the hoop," Gordon said. "Prepping for the game our coaches kept emphasizing how good of an offensive rebounding team they are so I just knew I had to crash hard.”

“We're starting to come together,” Gordon said. “It's playoff time, it's a new season. Luckily we had a tough schedule that prepared us for this.”

For what it's worth, the P-D says he had 21 points, 17 rebounds, and 3 blocks. So he had 21-23 points, 13-17 rebounds, and his 3 blocks are not in dispute.

10 minutes ago, slusam said:

Post Dispatch article says he had 17 rebounds. We are going to be an incredible rebounding team next year.

I have a hard time believing there will be a better rebounding team in the A10 next season. We were third in RPG this season, and that's with a depleted roster that slowed the pace down. Next season, we will have strong rebounders at every position. Starters and bench, everyone can board. This team will be tough as nails.

TheDude and TheChosenOne like this

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I have a hard time believing there will be a better rebounding team in the A10 next season. We were third in RPG this season, and that's with a depleted roster that slowed the pace down. Next season, we will have strong rebounders at every position. Starters and bench, everyone can board. This team will be tough as nails.

It is so exciting and if nothing trips us up we will be in the big dance just one year late similar to the year after S1.

I prefer the paint game better than chucking up 3 pointers all of the time and the toughness of a strong rebounding team.

30 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We are going to brutalize teams in the paint. All we need now is a couple of shooters.

40 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Here's a link to some Gordon highlights from last night. Post write-up. And some more pics (the P-D has some good ones):

“I was just trying to get my team involved, play hard and finish around the hoop," Gordon said. "Prepping for the game our coaches kept emphasizing how good of an offensive rebounding team they are so I just knew I had to crash hard.”

“We're starting to come together,” Gordon said. “It's playoff time, it's a new season. Luckily we had a tough schedule that prepared us for this.”

For what it's worth, the P-D says he had 21 points, 17 rebounds, and 3 blocks. So he had 21-23 points, 13-17 rebounds, and his 3 blocks are not in dispute.

Gordon is very quick for a big imho