GDT: Southern Ute Cuisine

Taj79

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

By definition, averages are strictly on games played.  He played in 44, starting 16.  A total of 500 minutes.  It's all on the SLU website.  Hey, I hope he is part of the answer, but I wouldn't pencil Bess in for double figure ppg next year.  Maybe he a the lockdown defender or a 'glue guy'. 

I probably should've qualified the statement a little more.  In games he started and played significant double-digit minutes last season (pretty much first half), his ppg average was closer to 6.  After that, his minutes per game plummeted to mid single digits, which of course brought down his scoring average to the 2.9 figure by the end of the season. Assuming he's getting 20+ mpg here against weaker comp, I think there is a much greater likelihood he'll put up 10 per game than 3. Hopefully, he's one of about 4 players doing that though. 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

On a per 40 minute basis Bess averaged over 10 points and over 8 rebounds last season. That is on MSU team that plays at a below average pace and a tougher schedule than SLU will ever play.  Per 40 minute numbers alone aren't a great way to judge a limited minute guy, but they at least put his number in a different perspective.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

On a per 40 minute basis Bess averaged over 10 points and over 8 rebounds last season. That is on MSU team that plays at a below average pace and a tougher schedule than SLU will ever play.  Per 40 minute numbers alone aren't a great way to judge a limited minute guy, but they at least put his number in a different perspective.

Per 40 minutes is a good stat (see full stats below).  The drawbacks of the per 40 minutes stats is that it ignores negative reasons a player cannot play 40 minutes (conditioning, fouls, etc.) and the minutes may be junk time.  It looks like that Bess had some issues with fouls limiting minutes particularly in conference games but otherwise the stat holds up.  Clearly not a prolific scorer or a good shooter but a decent offensive force and good rebounder.

Javon Bess per 40 minutes

Season School Conf G MP FG   FGA FG%  2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
Career  Michigan State    44  499   3.4  7.6     .442    3.2   6.7 .  476     0.2        0.9    .182   3.2    6.0       .533   8.7   2.7   1.0   0.8    1.8   4.4   10.1
2014-15    Michigan State    Big Ten  12  148   3.0  6.2  .478    2.7   5.7 .  476   0.3   0.5    .500   2.4   5.7   .429   9.5   3.2   1.1   0.8   2.4   4.3    8.6
2015-16  Michigan State  Big Ten  32  351   3.5     8.2  .431    3.4   7.2 .  476   0.1   1.0    .111   3.5   6.2   .574   8.4   2.5   1.0   0.8   1.5   4.4   10.7

Here are my observations so far:

- Bess sucks

- Welmer is the second coming

- Roby is a 6'4 guard who can light it up and is a great leader

- Crawford is hurt but not as hurt as Durando said but his previous stats don't matter because he's still hurt but we don't know how bad he's hurt just that he's hurt

- Neufeld should transfer now

- Gillmann would be a decent end of the bench guy for UMSL

- Forget Ford's history, he's a great in-game coach and recruiter as shown by his time at SLU. 

- Bishop is good but he's also bad. He'll start over Goodwin but he needs to transfer to a lower school

- Reggie could play in the league

- Nobody cares about Hines

- Johnson and Moore need 30 mins a game

- Foreman will never walk again after his hip surgery but he's a shoe-in starter next year either way

- French is a stud if Tilmon doesn't come to SLU. Forget about him if Tilmon does come to SLU.

- Illini fans are the Jim Crews/Platt of fans

- The marketing department is incompetent

25 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Absolutely. I am friends with a few managers who I wont disclose, from what they said, all 3 transfers are better than any of our players right now. Bess was the best player in Ohio I believe his recruiting year or something close to that right? 

14 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

- Bess sucks

- Crawford is hurt but not as hurt as Durando said but his previous stats don't matter because he's still hurt but we don't know how bad he's hurt just that he's hurt

- Forget Ford's history, he's a great in-game coach and recruiter as shown by his time at SLU. 

- Bishop is good but he's also bad. He'll start over Goodwin but he needs to transfer to a lower school

- Foreman will never walk again after his hip surgery but he's a shoe-in starter next year either way

- French is a stud if Tilmon doesn't come to SLU. Forget about him if Tilmon does come to SLU.

:lol: well done. 

39 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

- Bess sucks

Good job, but you forgot the most important player on the squad, Marko the Greek.  Coach Ford is saving him for the A-10 season.  He will be our secret weapon, or not.

59 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

- Bess sucks

Nothing about Sweet Caroline?

"Bishop is good but he's also bad. He'll start over Goodwin but he needs to transfer to a lower school."

Straight from the Jay Bilas school of basketball analysis. School motto is "You can never be wrong when you take all sides." Well done!

56 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Absolutely. I am friends with a few managers who I wont disclose, from what they said, all 3 transfers are better than any of our players right now. Bess was the best player in Ohio I believe his recruiting year or something close to that right? 

To be fair, we heard the same thing about Yacoubou the year Jett, Evans, McCall, and Loe were seniors. We saw how that worked out. 

8 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

To be fair, we heard the same thing about Yacoubou the year Jett, Evans, McCall, and Loe were seniors. We saw how that worked out. 

Yacoubou may have been a better athlete, or at least on par with Jett and Evans. It would have been interesting to watch him play with a solid team, and maybe a point guard.