GDT: Southern Ute Cuisine

Taj79

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaky on the press break, and a little frenetic after that, but we somehow managed to use the whole shot clock for an and-one by Bishop.

I don't have a ton of confidence in these ball handlers - Bishop, Roby, Hines - this season. If I'm an opposing coach watching tape, we're a good team to press.

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

See which team losses more players due to fouls in last 3 1/2 min 

Your man from Greece gets a foul

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Just my opinion but if the college refs want to call fouls on every play NCAA basketball will decline in popularity. On both sides tonite way too many touch fouls. 

there was a ref evaluation tonight by their organization

yeah too many fouls game had no flow

Four guys on SUU fouled out. Geez.

Big night for Reggie. He's going to get a lot of rebounds this year. Credit to him for working hard, but it's also pretty much by default because of how thin our frontcourt is - in more ways than one.

I like Welmer. Skilled, steady player. He's what I thought he would be.

Gillmann and Neufeld played a combined 9 minutes.

Hines, a walk-on, played 13.

Roby, Bishop, Crawford, Agbeko, and Welmer each played 30 minutes or more.

64 fouls called. This game ended 20 minutes after the hour, and it wasn't an OT game.

Got better from the FT line as the game went on, finishing at 69%. Still have to get better.

13 turnovers for each team. Felt like more.

Johnson and Moore are clearly freshmen. They both have the potential be useful players on this team. This is probably a good season to be able to learn and make mistakes. I just hope the losing doesn't affect them.

Onwuasor had 20 points on a horrible shooting night. He's easily a first-team all-conference player out there with a shot at POY.

Just now, HoosierPal said:

I think everyone but brianstl thinks Welmer has a nice future. 

Agreed, he is also a good fit with what we have coming in. Maybe the one gem Crews left Ford. As a 21 year old freshman, I guess you could question his ceiling, but a nice player regardless.

I think we need to keep in mind how much better some of these players my look with the 5 guys we have coming in next season.  I think Bishop and Welmer will both benefit bigly from the 5 news guys.  Roby will be a good glue-guy/defensive stopper.  Hoping we see some good development from Zeke and JJ.  If so, that's a pretty deep rotation.  Gilman and/or Neufeld won't likely be around, so i'm not expecting much from them this season or beyond.  

8 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I think we need to keep in mind how much better some of these players my look with the 5 guys we have coming in next season.  I think Bishop and Welmer will both benefit bigly from the 5 news guys.  Roby will be a good glue-guy/defensive stopper.  Hoping we see some good development from Zeke and JJ.  If so, that's a pretty deep rotation.  Gilman and/or Neufeld won't likely be around, so i'm not expecting much from them this season or beyond.  

Intentional use of "bigly"? Haha

Just came back home from the game, 88 SLU 76 S Utah, we beat them and we beat the predicted Vegas implied score (80.8 SLU). One won, 14 to go.

These are my thoughts of the game: 1) Crawford did better than in prior games this year and managed to score better. This is nice, let's hope this becomes a pattern in future games. If it does we may have a better season than we will without his contribution.

2) Reggie did very well but got called on a pile of fouls. Welmer did very well, also got called on a pile of fouls. 

3) I thought Bishop got a better grip on things in this game and scored better. 

4) Roby did very well, he may be getting comfortable with playing under Ford. I think he did very well in the first half guarding Randy Ork???

5) Gillmann and Neufeld did not play much and did not do very well. It was interesting that towards the end of the game, with Welmer out, when Reggie had to be taken out of play he was replaced with Jalen Johnson, not with Gillmann or Neufeld. We shall see but the future does not appear bright for these two.

6) Zeke Moore appeared to me to be a bit uncomfortable with the play level at D1, he did not do as well as I expected. Same for Jalen Johnson. I think they are good but need more time to develop.

7) Hines played a fair amount (a lot more than Gillmann and Neufeld) he is quick and can carry the ball well, something Roby is also pretty good with. When Bishop was out these two did a lot to fill the vacancy.

In other words I think we are moving forward towards being what we will be this season. At times it is not pretty, not with the amount of fouls being called by the refs, but somethings deserve to be observed. Roby's improvement, Crawford better play and scoring, and the fact that we are developing a workable team core around Roby, Bishop, Welmer, Moore, and Johnson that will be available next year. Hines is making a valid contribution to the team, and will probably continue doing so, at least this year. 

The Chaifetz was only about 20% maybe 25% full. We had a good time, it is always good to win. 14wins to go for the season.