GDT: Southern Ute Cuisine

Taj79

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, BillsNBrews1818 said:

Do you think Gillman will leave on his own? I know he has pretty strong ties to St. Louis. Maybe DII?

he should go to harris stowe or umsl or something and finish his degree. hes had 3 years of slu education paid for him. hell he could just finish at slu, but that scholarship should go to someone who can play ball. Neufeld should transfer also. neither of these guys are good enough to have offers at the d1 level, i dont believe. they couldnt even hang with southern utah.

I think Gillmann came in with some college credits. Coupled with any credits he's accumulated over the summer, he may well be on track to graduate this spring. If so, he could go anywhere in D-I and be eligible immediately, as long as he pursues a degree program not available at SLU.

Say what you will about his abilities or his fit at SLU, but there are plenty of D-I programs where he'd be a contributor.

That's assuming he doesn't want to stay and reap the benefits of a probable winning season after three brutally challenging seasons. Roby's going to stay for that, I'm sure.

41 minutes ago, BillsNBrews1818 said:

Do you think Gillman will leave on his own? I know he has pretty strong ties to St. Louis. Maybe DII?

At the end of this season, Austin needs to decide how much he values a degree from SLU v transferring.  Is it worth 30 basketball games to forfeit a SLU degree?  Pistol informs us he had college credits in hand when he arrived.  Perhaps if he graduates early, he can have the best of both worlds.

25 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

If anyone else follows Wisconsin basketball, Welmer gave me an Ethan Happ vibe watching him play last night. Anyone agree? Play style looks similar on offense.

In 36 college basketball games Happ has attempted zero three point shots.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I think Gillmann came in with some college credits. Coupled with any credits he's accumulated over the summer, he may well be on track to graduate this spring. If so, he could go anywhere in D-I and be eligible immediately, as long as he pursues a degree program not available at SLU.

Say what you will about his abilities or his fit at SLU, but there are plenty of D-I programs where he'd be a contributor.

That's assuming he doesn't want to stay and reap the benefits of a probable winning season after three brutally challenging seasons. Roby's going to stay for that, I'm sure.

gillman is going nowhere on his own. he has to be run off if that's going down.

no there are not d1 programs where he can contribute. he was overmatched by southern utah.

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

WashU if possible would be the most ideal . 

Agree, particularly if he can graduate this summer or this spring with his extra credits. Wash U  is DII and has many grad degrees available. Something somewhere is likely to fit him. Do not know about scholarships at DII level though and believe a DI scholarship might be hard to get given his performance so far.

15 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Agree, particularly if he can graduate this summer or this spring with his extra credits. Wash U  is DII and has many grad degrees available. Something somewhere is likely to fit him. Do not know about scholarships at DII level though and believe a DI scholarship might be hard to get given his performance so far.

WashU is D3, no scholarships. I think it's more likely that he sticks around, as we will likely have scholarships to give even if he stays. Ford wouldn't (and shouldn't) want to hurt his reputation by running off a local kid. Austin seems like a solid teammate, and someone is going to be spending a lot of time on the bench next season anyway; I am fine with it being a St. Louis kid with only one year of eligibility left.

3 hours ago, Zink said:

WashU is D3, no scholarships. I think it's more likely that he sticks around, as we will likely have scholarships to give even if he stays. Ford wouldn't (and shouldn't) want to hurt his reputation by running off a local kid. Austin seems like a solid teammate, and someone is going to be spending a lot of time on the bench next season anyway; I am fine with it being a St. Louis kid with only one year of eligibility left.

Agreed, but MN is another story.  No way he plays on a team with next years players unless there are some injuries to other bigs.

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

I agree with this. I'm a few years older than him, but went to the same high school and I just don't see him leaving. From what I understand and gathered from his comments when he committed, he values the education and its not like he'll be playing beyond college. I too think he might enjoy being a part of his hometown team winning even if his role is minimal. 

54 minutes ago, bauman said:

Agreed, but MN is another story.  No way he plays on a team with next years players unless there are some injuries to other bigs.

Yeah, we're on the same page there. If things don't change significantly over the course of the season, I'd be shocked to see Neufeld back, which is a shame.  He just hasn't developed at all in the past year (or at least we haven't seen it).

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Last night's announced attendance of 4,725 was the 3rd smallest total for a regular season game at Chaifetz. 

southern utah may end up at 351 in the national ratings. it was a monday night. both teams were horrible.

i am stoked to see Javon Bess starting.

5 hours ago, Soderball said:

southern utah may end up at 351 in the national ratings. it was a monday night. both teams were horrible.

i am stoked to see Javon Bess starting.

You will be the first to criticize Bess next year.  He is not a scorer.  His career numbers are 2.9 ppg, 2.5 rpg, with FG% of 44%, 3 pt FG 18%, and FT% of 53%.  You will flame on him, what, two games into his SLU career.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

His career numbers are 2.9 ppg, 2.5 rpg, with FG% of 44%, 3 pt FG 18%, and FT% of 53%.  

There must be more to it than that, or those numbers are skewed.  He must play lock down D, or his potential is sky high.  Gotta be a reason as to why Izzo waned him to stay.

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

There must be more to it than that, or those numbers are skewed.  He must play lock down D, or his potential is sky high.  Gotta be a reason as to why Izzo waned him to stay.

The numbers are right off the SLU website.  Others 2 year averages, 11.4 mpg, 34 assists, 22 TO, 10 blocks, 13 steals, and a total of 126 points. I'm not trashing the player, just reporting his stats.  I don't remember seeing him play on TV last year in the few MSU games I watched.

Another interesting piece of information is that Foreman is listed as only 1" taller and 5 pounds heavier than Reggie.  I thought he was bigger.

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The numbers are right off the SLU website.  Others 2 year averages, 11.4 mpg, 34 assists, 22 TO, 10 blocks, 13 steals, and a total of 126 points. I'm not trashing the player, just reporting his stats.  I don't remember seeing him play on TV last year in the few MSU games I watched.

Another interesting piece of information is that Foreman is listed as only 1" taller and 5 pounds heavier than Reggie.  I thought he was bigger.

I haven't looked closely, but it may be better to look at his averages in games he actually played in.  He was hurt for much of his freshman year and lost a lot of playing time in the second half of his sophomore season when the rotation was cut down.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

No argument here.  I'm just saying something must have happened, or theres a hidden talent not shown in numbers.

After doing some quick research, he did avg 6 pts 4 rbs before his injury last year(12 games).  Not lights out but as a sophomore that's not too shabby.  

Evans averages 7/7 his sophomore year and Reggie 3/3 just to compare to recent SLU forwards. 

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

You will be the first to criticize Bess next year.  He is not a scorer.  His career numbers are 2.9 ppg, 2.5 rpg, with FG% of 44%, 3 pt FG 18%, and FT% of 53%.  You will flame on him, what, two games into his SLU career.

Those numbers are pretty similar to what Jordan Sibert did his first two years in the Big 10. After transferring to the A10, he saw a big jump in production. I am hoping for the same thing to happen with Bess. He was limited by injuries, he was good enough to start several games at MSU. Ford said he expects him to be a "stat stuffer." We shall see.

1 minute ago, SShoe said:

I haven't looked closely, but it may be better to look at his averages in games he actually played in.  He was hurt for much of his freshman year and lost a lot of playing time in the second half of his sophomore season when the rotation was cut down.

By definition, averages are strictly on games played.  He played in 44, starting 16.  A total of 500 minutes.  It's all on the SLU website.  Hey, I hope he is part of the answer, but I wouldn't pencil Bess in for double figure ppg next year.  Maybe he a the lockdown defender or a 'glue guy'. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

By definition, averages are strictly on games played.  He played in 44, starting 16.  A total of 500 minutes.  It's all on the SLU website.  Hey, I hope he is part of the answer, but I wouldn't pencil Bess in for double figure ppg next year.  Maybe he a the lockdown defender or a 'glue guy'. 

I would argue that he was also playing for Michigan State, obviously we aren't getting their best player but if Izzo started the guy, there is something to him. He was also battling injury.