Coach Ford

WVBilliken

I remember it was brought up when he was hired that Ford probably has his eyes on the Kentucky job if Calipari ever leaves. I think it would be incredible if his work at SLU makes him a candidate. Is he perfect? No, few coaches are that right combination of recruiter and tactician. But he is bringing in a ton of talent and in the next few years we will see it arrive to Chaifetz and make billiken basketball the hottest ticket in town. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, johnbj14 said:

I remember it was brought up when he was hired that Ford probably has his eyes on the Kentucky job if Calipari ever leaves. I think it would be incredible if his work at SLU makes him a candidate. Is he perfect? No, few coaches are that right combination of recruiter and tactician. But he is bringing in a ton of talent and in the next few years we will see it arrive to Chaifetz and make billiken basketball the hottest ticket in town. 

With the way he is lighting it up in recruiting at SLU, on paper he could certainly look like Calipari 2.0 for Kentucky. I know there are regularly rumors about Cal being linked to NBA jobs, but has he ever given the impression that is of interest to him? He is 57, so I assume retiring from coaching is still a few years away.

Just now, majerus mojo said:

"The Tate thread was ridiculous."

Agreed. Continues on.

"So uh Ford could take over for Coach Cal at this rate, eh?"

Blank stare.

I said on paper he could look like Calipari 2.0 (should have said if he maintains this sort of recruiting success, but strong recruiter and salesman for a program). I don't care to discuss the attractiveness of Corey Tate as a head coach since it is pretty well covered in the other thread.

1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

I said on paper he could look like Calipari 2.0 (strong recruiter and salesman for a program). I don't care to discuss the attractiveness of Corey Tate as a head coach since it is pretty well covered in the other thread.

Hey, we have 2 four stars and a 5 star coming to SLU. Let's all dream big. F*** it. 

When Ford first got hired, and everyone calmed down about the fact that he wasn't Bryce Drew or Kevin Stallings, the reasonable folks said that he clearly could recruit.  What he has done far exceeds what those guys were even talking about at the time.  Getting two 4 stars and a 5 star to commit to an A-10 team coming off of two consecutive 11 win seasons before he ever coaches a game is not just good recruiting.  It is the best recruiting that SLU has ever seen (name a better three month stretch of recruiting that SLU has ever had).  It is also the best recruiting Ford has ever done when taking into account the situation he was in.  So, what we thought we were getting recruiting wise has ended up being better than we expected or could have expected.

I think Ford and SLU are a perfect match.  He is a talented recruiter with the best team in a recruit rich city.  St. Louis is an urban environment, with no NFL team, a school with a great facility, no college football team in a basketball only conference.  He will get big credit for turning SLU around, he is already generating excitement by winning recruiting battles with the big boys and he will generate more when we actually beats the big boys.  He can dominate the A10, set his teams up for success in March and be a hero in this community.   If you take a job like Kentucky, even if you win a national championship, it is simply what is expected, anything less than that is failure.  He has already had a job fall out from  under him because his teams didn't meet high post season expectations. The reasons that he stays are the same reasons he is giving top recruits to play for SLU.  If SLU continues to fund the program and compensate him and his coaches properly there is not reason to leave.  He will stay simply because he can do something special here and it is the best place for him and his family. 

Whatever the fate of the Bills may turn out to be in the coming future, it is a fact that the Billikens men's basketball team has already been changed radically by Ford. This is not just a matter of a new coach, or having a new approach to the game, it is not a matter of brick and mortar (after all a building is just a setting for what goes on inside it and good players sign up to play for a team and a coach, not to play inside a building), we have changed the level of the talent pool we are effectively recruiting from. This, more than anything else, should change the way we play and should change our image among HS coaches and players, and hopefully will become self sustaining force. It is a jump from being an aspiring mid level program, with occasional glimpses of greatness and occasional lapses (which may last several years) into being pretty bad, into a program that is generally in the upper levels, hopefully never descending below a competitive mid level. 

If you look at it in terms of the national economy, the change we are experiencing in the Bills is like rebuilding the infrastructure, something that will benefit us in many ways over many years. 

This is long term thinking and anticipation, of course, but I cannot wait to see what happens in the next few years.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

On the Press Box today, Coach said a focus this week will be to get Welmer more touches in the paint.  Coach said Welmer has good moves in the post, he just hasn't received the ball where he needs to.

I think that will be hard to do since the guards do not seem to be able to make plays inside.

Maybe Bishop will be that guard but I hope if Tilmon does not chose SLU that Coach Ford finds a H Waldman type of player to get the ball to the bigs.

I'm really curious how Ford goes from year to year.  There was always huge roster turnover every year in Stillwater.  The Cowboys never ran an up tempo system and his presser was almost verbatim of what he said when he was hired at OState and SLU. He always recruited very well, but could never get the pieces to fit in to a team.  He would pull an upset of KU then lose at home to Texas Tech.  I wish the best for y'all and I will be watching to see if anything has changed.

10 minutes ago, OrangePepper said:

I'm really curious how Ford goes from year to year.  There was always huge roster turnover every year in Stillwater.  The Cowboys never ran an up tempo system and his presser was almost verbatim of what he said when he was hired at OState and SLU. He always recruited very well, but could never get the pieces to fit in to a team.  He would pull an upset of KU then lose at home to Texas Tech.  I wish the best for y'all and I will be watching to see if anything has changed.

This is not meant to offend, but just an observation.  Travis Ford has pulled more internet trolls from other teams to this site than any SLU coach in history.  He has only been here for 8 months.

21 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

This is not meant to offend, but just an observation.  Travis Ford has pulled more internet trolls from other teams to this site than any SLU coach in history.  He has only been here for 8 months.

I'm guessing a lot of OKST fans will see our 8-12 win season this year and be laughing at our hire 

32 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Didnt offend.  Just curious. Interested to see how he does.  We paid him a lot of money to crash our program.  It showed in the ticket sales and interest. 

IMG_2496.JPG