GDT: Shrink the Sweater Vests (SLU vs UD)

TheA_Bomb

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Simmer down Francis hsmith19 knows what is going on and understands that Ash is senior and is correct about how the game was lost last night. I was frustrated with Milik 6 for 16 shooting and I am for the Hines Bishop back court win or lose but I was wrong. In hindsight Bartley for Hines in the last minutes and stay with the hot hand. #FIREJIMCREWS

or Miles.

The two clear out plays at the end of regulation appeared to be called plays from the bench. The first one was for Milik to dribble the clock down then do his standard bowling ball drive. The second they had Hines dribble the clock down then do his can't get a shot off drive. Quite a coaching display calling those two plays both in terms of scheme and knowing your players strengths and weaknesses.

On the plus side, Jordan Goodwin and Marvin Bateman were at the game to see there will be plenty of minutes available to them if they choose to come here.

If one coaching decision is indicative of the the futility of the Jim Crews' era it is the play called from the bench -this one by JC-with 35 seconds left in the game and 30 seconds on the play clock. Crews tells Hines to stand out near half court dribbling the ball and then with about 12- 13 seconds left in the game Hines goes into the paint and get probably his 3rd or 4th shot of this game blocked on his drive. If Crews was going for surprise then he got it, but that's all he got. Unbelievable! Sending a walk-on quality guard who was having a miserable game into the paint where Dayton had made a night of blocking all our drives. Did Crews think AH was the re-incarnation of J Jett? Well he's not. What's that definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result!

That play call is truly symbolic of the Jim Crews coaching era. If he doesn't go then many of the fans will. If this administration can't see that then they must be clueless. Say what you want about our previous SLU president, but I feel certain that he would have JC's head on a platter within a week of this miserable season ending.

We need a new coach and we need 3-4 new players right away. How do we get more than the one signee we already have? Sorry, but AH is clearly not the answer and needs to go back to his walk-on, minimal minutes status. Then I suspect a couple of others leaving on their own, if not asked to leave by our new Head Coach. I wouldn't mind losing a couple of the following group-BJ, DR, MR or AG. That would be 4 open scholarships with one of the four already given out.. Clearly, this coaching staff has lost all confidence in BJ, as have many on this board, however, he is the one of the four names I listed that I would most like to keep. At least he plays with a passion and toughness that only Reggie also displays among our big men. It is something that is hard to teach and I don't see it in MN or AG. MN might have it in him once he gets past his freshman year, but it seems clear to me that AG will never bring that to the table.

It will be up to a new coach to retain MY, because if Crews stays, I can't help but believe Milik goes. That would be too bad, because he has the most natural ability of anyone on the team-he just needs to be taught how to play the game, but he has all the skills. I had high hopes for CC to not only be a great recruiter, but also a good teacher of big men- I have yet to see that. Finally, watching Crews stand outside the team huddle and let Tanner call the play, and talk to the team, at the end of the game speaks volumes about JC. Can any of you imagine any other head coach in college basketball not talking to his team and setting up the final play to hopefully win the game? I watch a lot of college basketball games and I can honestly say that I have NEVER seen that! But then again, I have never seen another coach routinely (not always) pull all four of our players who are not shooting a free throw back into the backcourt or to consistently have all 5 players immediately run back on defense after we take a shot---gosh, I wonder why we don't get any offensive rebounds!

-Bauman I have seen other head coaches have an assistant create a play during a time out, I take that as a positive in that the head coach is not so egotistical in that regard that they always have the answer and they let another coach have input, now in our circumstance the play didn't work, surprise

-what gets me is if you can watch Crews on the sideline during the game how many times does he extend his arms to question what is happening? there are many, so it is either the kids don't know what they are supposed to do- where's the coaching?

-or the coaching was not effective - again, where's the coaching?

-Crews must go

How many seconds did Scoochie Smith add to this game because he didn't touch the ball until it rolled all the way down to their coach's box in the second half? Why? Because if you believe Wolf and Holden, Crews stated he was incredibly fearful of Dayton's team speed. Two ideas on this topic:

1) have whomever is covering the out-of-bounds player inbounding the ball shadow Scooch at that end. Token pressure. Token coverage. Make him catch the ball in the air or off the inbounds bounce. Then run right over to your man and let Hines or whoever is covering the Scooch to take it from there or at 3/4 court. Especially after we went up by 8 or 9. Mission accomplished as you are shortening the game by making the clock run. Worry about extending the game IF you need to.

2) anybody notice this other than me? How about an in-game adjustment? Okay, first half, no big deal. But near the end? This was an even greater travesty than the rebounding-on-foul-shots, inbounds-plays-into-the-backcourt, use-of-timeouts, and now play-design evidenced by Crews over these last two years WITH HIS PLAYERS.

As for the "BJ plays with passion" statement, too bad passion can't be substituted for talent because Jolly has none. Keeping Jolly is like keeping Varner, Newborne, Braun, Husak and a whole list of others who did little or nothing for their free education over four or five years. Jolly is a 6'9" version of poor Richie Rich, spoiled little rich kid. His snarl is about as menacing as Billy Idol and Vanilla Ice. Style without substance.

As for an assumption that some new savior is all of a sudden going to get basketball religion to MY and coach him up ----- kid exhibits every characteristic of a guy who is not listening. As I recall, Marcus Relaphord would not listen to the plan Majerus had for him so he bolted to Colorado. Sometimes, its best when that happens. A new coach is going to have it tough enough with the dearth of talent on whatever roster he inherits. Detracting from his time to teach what he has because he has to school a non-hearing kid might not be worth it or even be doable. This entire sophomore class --- all on Crews now as MB points out -- is an abject and total failure. All role players with no leading cast to support.

I wasn't as lucky as some who have apparently better sound on their tube. I did not get to hear JC tell the walk on to dribble around till last few seconds and then emulate half our guards and run into the middle of the forest and have their stupid selfish shot rejected. here's a thought maybe he said dribble down the clock as just about every team with the final shot does and then make a move find the open shot like MY finally did with MC who missed wide open 3 that would of won game. Again I didn't have sound up loud enough to hear coach say do what you want I hope it works out.

I wasn't as lucky as some who have apparently better sound on their tube. I did not get to hear JC tell the walk on to dribble around till last few seconds and then emulate half our guards and run into the middle of the forest and have their stupid selfish shot rejected. here's a thought maybe he said dribble down the clock as just about every team with the final shot does and then make a move find the open shot like MY finally did with MC who missed wide open 3 that would of won game. Again I didn't have sound up loud enough to hear coach say do what you want I hope it works out.

So either he told him to iso drive into the trees, or he didn't, and Hines did it anyways. He certainly didn't design a play, or give a blueprint that would provide a decent shot. The fact that you say 'MY finally (kicked out) to MC', illustrates how rarely this actually happens under JC. What's your point? JC misses Jett something awful

JC ran it through Yarbrough down the stretch. Couple players not happy about that. Crawford didn't have a standout game but if we going to go down from long range. I would rather go down with Crawford or Ash taking those.

Okay, I hear what everyone is saying. But does anyone realize that Crews coached about as perfect a game as you can for 38 minutes. Dayton is in a different league talent-wise than us and our gameplan was just about perfect. We were up 9 late in the 2nd half against a team that is currently projected as a 4 seed in the tournament. Just think about that. I am usually not one to accept moral victories but if there ever was one, this is it.

I thought Milik played his ass off in the 2nd half and I sadly realize that his selfish gene will never go away. Hines is a walk on guard so I have no expectation there. But I remember watching with 35 seconds left and texting my dad, "I have no idea what play we have for this situation"...I think we could run that scenario 10 times against Dayton and we might score once. From the out of bounds play, it looked like they tried to get the ball to crawford on the curl but it was well guarded. We had no inside presence at all after Reggie fouled out. What exactly were the coaches supposed to draw up? I just didnt expect much in that scenario from this crop of players.

This season doesnt matter so I guess I am appreciative that I got to watch a competitive game. Remembering back, I think I turned off the earlier match up with Dayton after 8 mins in the first half.

We will have a new coach in 6 weeks. It will all be over soon.

I also thought the out of bounds play was OK. It looked like Crawford was the number 1 option but he was covered. I believe this was the play that Tanner drew up. Without trying to beat up a Crews we should have won the game because Dayton couldn't throw the ball in the ocean. While I give Crews credit for the fact that we played hard he also gets credit for the fact that we play dumb. We do not play smart clean basketball. Last night was full of forced play after forced play. That falls on the coach.

Willie,

The defense in the first half looked like we morphed into the University of Virginia for 20 mins. They werent missing in-rhythm open looks. We contested more shots last night then I've ever seen out of this group.

I think our lack of offense is still the same as it was last year. We are really lacking a true presence in the post (I acknowlege Reggie is give 100% effort). If you guard the perimeter against us, then we cant do anything. Our team has to one of the easiest to scout in D1.

Willie,

The defense in the first half looked like we morphed into the University of Virginia for 20 mins. They werent missing in-rhythm open looks. We contested more shots last night then I've ever seen out of this group.

I think our lack of offense is still the same as it was last year. We are really lacking a true presence in the post (I acknowlege Reggie is give 100% effort). If you guard the perimeter against us, then we cant do anything. Our team has to one of the easiest to scout in D1.

I do agree we played with a high energy in the first half but they still missed a ton of open shots and fumbled pass after pass out of bounds. Dayton was bad .

JC ran it through Yarbrough down the stretch. Couple players not happy about that. Crawford didn't have a standout game but if we going to go down from long range. I would rather go down with Crawford or Ash taking those.

You're a pretty big jackass bringing private conversations to the board...

Absolutely nothing wrong with Billikenboy's comment. It's good to have some inside info while not naming names. What's the problem with it?

Willie,

Completely agree with both your posts. Dayton has an elite defense, it should come as no surprise that we struggled so much offensively. They were outstanding at defending off the ball...they were in Crawford's jock all night. We were outmanned (i.e.- out 'athleted') at every position with the exception of Ash, and we still somehow made it a game. Sure, we made some bonehead plays, but we always do. And we played a team who almost beat us by 40 three weeks ago, albeit with Pollard.

That's your opinion. I think it's a breach of trust

I think youre right.

I also think if "whoever" has the trust of players or managers, then it is up to them to describe the problem and fix it.

Naming names would be very over the line i think, as it is it is unverified hearsay.

I think my primary problem with it is that it IS hearsay and we have no idea who he is or who he talks to. Take it as we like.

I think you have a strong case absolutely, but i can see both sides. Ultimately i put little stock in it. We will see whats up in the offseason, if anything.

You're a pretty big jackass bringing private conversations to the board...

This big jackass will continue to open the door for yahoos like you to see over your bulging stomachs. I do not name names. You can take it or leave it. Does not matter to me one bit. You prefer to stay in the dark but come to the board to get your insight. Oh I get it!

Absolutely clueless

Oh, I am clueless too. Thank you so much. Have not heard the one! What else you got Coach?

Moytoy, might see him at camp this summer. He is working his butt off this season for sure. Hoping he has a Conklin type summer leading to that breakout senior year. Still not happy with his development but with the trajectory he is on, he could put it together soon enough.