Coaching Candidates

JMM28

Why do I have a feeling if we don't get Drew we will really be struggling to find a good candidate.

Because that's a very realistic thought. If you excluded the guys you had no chance at like Ben Jacobsen and Gregg Marshall, once you were beyond Drew and Underwood, the crop of mid-major head coaches is very "meh". There's just not that much there.

I get the idea of hiring a guy who has been a head coach, but focusing on that really narrowed your potential market.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because that's a very realistic thought. If you excluded the guys you had no chance at like Ben Jacobsen and Gregg Marshall, once you were beyond Drew and Underwood, the crop of mid-major head coaches is very "meh". There's just not that much there.

I get the idea of hiring a guy who has been a head coach, but focusing on that really narrowed your potential market.

Yeah I think I'd take a shot on a high-major assistant over guys like Dooley or Ford. Both of those guys appear to be proven average coaches. At least an assistant has a chance to prove himself to be something more.

I really hope Valpo loses on Tuesday so we can get this moving one way or the other. Wiz, who is going to win that game?

Sorry, not much help here.....Valpo & BYU even...The torture continues....

With all of the talk and excitement of coach Drew and coach Stallings when one of them are announced we will have our splash hire. Remember, who thought a coaching legend like Rick Majerus would be the SLU coach. I did not believe it when I heard it that coach Majerus was our coach until I saw the coach being interviewed. That is one of my top 10 best moments of Billiken Basketball. I know I am repeating myself but there is a firms reputation on the coaching decision that will be made. The last coaching decision that was made using this firm was coach Majerus. I believe that options A, B and C will all be good options if SLU listens to the firm and I think they will. I do not believe that SLU be scraping up the scraps leftover coaches and if that was the case why fire coach Crews and pay the buyout? I am enjoying the coaching ride with great expectations because everything seems to be in place to make a good decision. If I am wrong then let the posting humiliation begin.

Why do I have a feeling if we don't get Drew we will really be struggling to find a good candidate.

Because of what happened in 2002 when Romar left us. Literally the extent of Doug Woolard's "National Search" was down a hallway at West Pine. We are predisposed to not only accept failure at the highest levels of both our academic and athletic administrations, but expect it.

Because of what happened in 2002 when Romar left us. Literally the extent of Doug Woolard's "National Search" was down a hallway at West Pine. We are predisposed to not only accept failure at the highest levels of both our academic and athletic administrations, but expect it.

Very well stated. Even the most ardent of SLU supporters, such as myself, are predisposed to assuming SLU will make a mess of this.

Very well stated. Even the most ardent of SLU supporters, such as myself, are predisposed to assuming SLU will make a mess of this.

But I'm hoping and praying that Chris May and Dr. Pestello prove me wrong.

He is a young coach who has potential. He built a very good team at a school like Valpo, and is doing well in the NIT. To do all that he either recruited good players and got them to play as a team, or he recruited average players and coaches them up.....sounds like the skill set we need.

He previously said he like SLU and ND as schools to coach at. Probably got an earful about how bad things were at Baylor from his brother.

The ND/SLU intentions were of his dad, Homer (researched it the other night.) But he likely has similar priorities on cultural fit, agree with your sentiment.

Let's look at the past hires:

Rich Grawer - Saved the program

Charlie Spoonhauer - Can't argue that was a good hire

Lorenzo Romar - Several have called getting him back now a home run. His initial hire was a good one.

Brad Sodeberg - Miss

Rick Majerus - Home Run

Jim Crews - Miss, but extenuating circumstances lead to it being very difficult not to hire him

So, how exactly are we predisposed to SLU making a mess of this. Of the last six hires, four have to be considered to be handled very well and were successes. I get that two of the last three were bad hires, but I would assume when you make a comment like we "are predisposed to assuming SLU will make a mess of this," that there is more history behind it.

Lorenzo Romar - Several have called getting him back now a home run. His initial hire was a good one.

Brad Sodeberg - Miss

Rick Majerus - Home Run

Jim Crews - Miss, but extenuating circumstances lead to it being very difficult not to hire him

So, how exactly are we predisposed to SLU making a mess of this. Of the last six hires, four have to be considered to be handled very well and were successes. I get that two of the last three were bad hires, but I would assume when you make a comment like we "are predisposed to assuming SLU will make a mess of this," that there is more history behind it.

I wasn't only referring to coaching decisions. This university, and more particularly the athletic department, seems to have trouble getting out of its own way

A couple recent examples

-not getting into Big East when a team from Omaha did

-the handling of the Kwamain and Willie saga

-forcing Coach Majerus to privately fund things that are commonplace at other A-10 schools

-allowing things to go back into the abyss after the Majerus years

These are just a few off the top of my head.

Brad Sodeberg - Miss

Rick Majerus - Home Run

Ron Ekker

But I'm hoping and praying that Chris May and Dr. Pestello prove me wrong.

My following of SLU basketball goes back to Ron Ekker so, yes, I have seen and lived through many of the hard times that is Billiken Basketball. With that said, Fr. Biondi was the constant. Believe Fr. Biondi came on board in 1987 and soon thereafter, Grawer got his legs cut out from him with Craig Upchurch, then Spoon and Debbie Yow had their issues with Fr. Biondi causing both to leave sooner than they might otherwise have, and the list goes on... Yes, Dr. Chaifetz renewed his relationship with SLU and Chaifetz Arena was built under Fr. Biondi's watch, but by all accounts, Dr. Chaifetz is still active and supportive of our program and in selecting our next coach. Do we know for sure if Dr. P. will be any different than Fr. B? Of course not. At the same time, SLU has already acted differently than in the past in that Dr. P and AD May proactively secured the assistance of Dr. Chaifetz and possibly Novelly , pre-planned the termination of Jim Crews, fired him at the earliest possible moment professionally and without embarrassment, paid 2 years worth of a buyout to a guy not to coach, again hired the national consultant which helped us land RM and are actively interviewing and contacting the better named guys available (Drew, Stallings, Ford, Dooley, etc.). I am very pleased so far and am giving Dr. P and AD May the benefit of the doubt in that they have earned it with their recent actions.

I wasn't only referring to coaching decisions. This university, and more particularly the athletic department, seems to have trouble getting out of its own way

A couple recent examples

-not getting into Big East when a team from Omaha did

-the handling of the Kwamain and Willie saga

-forcing Coach Majerus to privately fund things that are commonplace at other A-10 schools

-allowing things to go back into the abyss after the Majerus years

These are just a few off the top of my head.

All Fr. Biondi. Even within the Jesuits, he was not well liked. Had we traded Fr. Biondi for Creighton's Jesuit President, SLU would be in the Big East and Creighton either still in the Valley, or more likely, replacing us in the A10.

Has the rumor of Rodney Terry from Fresno State been quashed? Davell Roby randomly following him on twitter seems like a pretty big clue. You would think he is privy to AD information.

I doubt he's privy to AD info. Though he's more likely than us. Terry 5 years as HC 1 CBI finals, 1 NCAA longtime Rick Barnes assistant at Texas.

I disagree with those stating there are no good candidates beyond Drew and Stallings.

There's Double D (Toot Toot)

Stansbury

Bennett

TJ Oztenhiemerscmittzendorf

Terry seems alright

Cuonzo?

Grant

And a few others I'm sure. Before it was anyone but Crews now we get Drew or fold up the program some people have a real light grip on reality.

Brad Sodeberg - Miss

Rick Majerus - Home Run

Brad was a much better coach than Jim Crews and cannot be lumped in with JC simply as a "miss". Brad needed to go but he also was the victim of the program falling down from Conf USA to A10 and bad facilities -- his teams were still practicing in West Pine Gym, his players were lifting weights in a closet, bumping into each other and unable to lift over their heads b/c of the low ceiling, etc. and yet Brad still won 20 games and put a respectable product on the floor. Jim Crews was given the best skilled and coached players in modern times, was handed National Coach of the Years honors due to sentimental reasons following the death of RM, ruined the fanbase and put 2 of the least productive teams in Billiken history on the floor. Sorry, but Brad deserves better than to be lumped into the same category as Crews and his long-time proven failure, Jim Platt.

I doubt he's privy to AD info. Though he's more likely than us. Terry 5 years as HC 1 CBI finals, 1 NCAA longtime Rick Barnes assistant at Texas.

I disagree with those stating there are no good candidates beyond Drew and Stallings.

There's Double D (Toot Toot)

Stansbury

Bennett

TJ Oztenhiemerscmittzendorf

Terry seems alright

Cuonzo?

Grant

And a few others I'm sure. Before it was anyone but Crews now we get Drew or fold up the program some people have a real light grip on reality.

Another good candidate....Kevin Keatts..UNC-W

Brad was a much better coach than Jim Crews and cannot be lumped in with JC simply as a "miss". Brad needed to go but he also was the victim of the program falling down from Conf USA to A10 and bad facilities -- his teams were still practicing in West Pine Gym, his players were lifting weights in a closet, bumping into each other and unable to lift over their heads b/c of the low ceiling, etc. and yet Brad still won 20 games and put a respectable product on the floor. Jim Crews was given the best skilled and coached players in modern times, was handed National Coach of the Years honors due to sentimental reasons following the death of RM, ruined the fanbase and put 2 of the least productive teams in Billiken history on the floor. Sorry, but Brad deserves better than to be lumped into the same category as Crews and his long-time proven failure, Jim Platt.

I don't disagree. I just meant that Brad didn't elevate the program like others had. Also, while we might agree that his era and the Crews era need to be categorized differently, I still don't think that our hiring of him was a success.

I hope we make a run at TJ if Bennett Stallings and Drew are not interested.

+1

My preference is a current D1 coach who would make a splash hire. Going on the cheap with and older, veteran D1 sends the message we are going on the cheap and are not committed. UD , VCU and X did not go out and hire veteran D1 head coaches. Then, again, UD hired Gregory before they hired Archie thereby making assistant coaches "hit or miss".

Whatever way we go, if we go with a non-splash D1 head coach or an Power 5 assistant coach, I would hope we negotiate a low buyout and then consider removing him after 2 years if not enough progress.

Now, I prefer not to go down the road but see no benefit throwing some or all of $1.5 million to $2 million budget on guys like Dooley or Ford. Anyone know what the head coaches at the middle to bottom of the Power 5 coaches make. Other than Anderson at Mizzou, I wonder if one of these guys feel frustrated at their current job, feel they lack the resources and commitment to win big in their Power 5 conference and if one, it only take one, would listen to taking a "demotion" going to SLU where a high ceiling might actually be easier to reach, where basketball would be the primary sport and not football and where an urban city like St. Louis might be preferred over the typical small "college" towns and where lower expectations, pressures and less competition for the limelight exist.