#FireJimCrews

If Crews is fired or strongly persuaded to retire, you can forget about Simmons. He played for Crews at UE and was his assistant there too. Unless he's only in it for the pay raise, I doubt he'd want to leave his alma mater for the school that just canned his mentor.

I forgot he played for Jimmy.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys like to throw around a lot of mediocre names. More of the same. Got to go big.

Agree with WestCoastBilliken. Majerus was a big name hire (with a bit of luck). Get rid of Crews now and start early for next year. We wait to fire him until end of season, we are left with scraps.

Well said. He's missed the tourney half the time at programs bigger than SLU. What is he going to do here?

Romar might be even worse. He's missed the tourney 4 straight years, looking like this will be the 5th straight year. The team that got blown out at Chaifetz had 3 future NBA first round picks (Ross, Wroten, Wilcox). His team got blown out at home by Oakland yesterday. He is an outstanding man off the court, but on the court it's a disaster right now.

If you want someone who can recruit but can't coach one bit, Crean, Romar, and Pastner look like good candidates.

Oakland is up by nine right now over Michigan St.. Just saying.

Agree with WestCoastBilliken. Majerus was a big name hire (with a bit of luck). Get rid of Crews now and start early for next year. We wait to fire him until end of season, we are left with scraps.

What is possibly going to be accomplished in the next 3 months that's worth firing crews for now? All decent coaching candidates will be coaching far longer then our team is playing so we have to wait to talk to people anyways

You guys like to throw around a lot of mediocre names. More of the same. Got to go big.

Who would qualify as "big" to you?

Here's the thing: as far as I've seen, there isn't another Rick Majerus sitting in an ESPN studio that you can hire. Unless I'm missing someone, you don't want any of their guys coaching at SLU.

I'd be all for getting a guy like Ben Jacobson or Bryce Drew. They're Midwest guys who have had success at their schools.

The likelihood is that the coaches we will be linked to with the most name recognition will be guys who have been fired in the last few years by bigger schools (e.g. Herb Sendek, Anthony Grant, or someone else who gets fired at the end of the season) or possibly someone in a tenuous situation at a BCS school who decides to jump before his employer can fire him (like what McDermott did with leaving Iowa State for Creighton).

If we can't land a bigger name, I'd be more focused on finding an up-and-comer that is a good fit for SLU. It might not do us a ton of good to hire a mid-major coach who happens to win an NCAA Tournament game or two in March if he's never coached or recruited in the Midwest. Look into guys who have been assistants at schools with winning cultures (e.g. Xavier, Butler) and give them the resources to build a winning culture at SLU.

How quickly are we to dismiss the Post-Dispatch story where Crews talked about getting these fifth year prep players and how that makes them not-really-freshmen? Neufeld. Jolly. Agbeko. Welmer. And Yacoubou is a fifth-year senior.

And there is one game left to the current OOC schedule. My response would be "if you don't get it by now, the chances of you getting it are slim to none." This used to be the typical year you saw folks transfer in and out of programs. Half my college career done, it ain't working, I need a new start. Conversely, this was the typical point in time where you saw your current sophomores that were getting it starting to blossom. Anybody see that with our pick six? Other than Reynolds (who I believe rose from the dead) not a single one has made positive strides IMHO.

Is that talent? Coaching? or both?

+infinity

There will be risk with anyone we hire. But I'd rather have someone like Majerus who won't wow you in recruiting but can really coach up players. That's another good point about money. Don't hire someone who has already made millions. Hire someone whose future career and livelihood depends on winning at SLU.

Romar has one of the youngest teams in the country and has a 5 star guard coming in next year, so he will get more time.

Disagree. Look at Majerus. A decorated winner and established mind who had been around forever and already had made his money. I think going after someone who's been there before is the better option than a gamble on a younger guy that still has to establish himself no???

P. J. Carlesimo

Carlesimo is an Xs and Os guy. He can't recruit at his age, he couldn't 30 years ago. He made a final four plying in the final days of Big East dominance. Mediocre at best in the NBA. He's just been an assistant in the league for a while. I don't see how he would be successful in college basketball right now. He's really only notable because he's a New York guy and the Latrell Sprewell thing. Not half the coach Majerus was and we could do better.

There is a big name, one who I would love to find a coach similar to in the sheer dedication to the game and attention to detail that he holds. I would love the Bills to go and find a coach similar to Tom Thibodeau. Heck, I'd outright suggest giving him an interview, but he is twenty plus years removed from college and the NBA certainly will have a spot for him somewhere come June. However, someone like him who has the ability to craft an elite defense with inferior players is someone I would love to see at SLU. Coaches who can build strong defenses can win with less talent, which would be necessary at this point in time.

Oakland is up by nine right now over Michigan St.. Just saying.

Kampe is a lifer at OU. 60 years old, 31 years there, took them from D2 to D1 and the Horizon League.

What about Tim Cluess, from Iona? He'd probably only leave for something bigger, but just throwing a name out there. Would we want him? He is 56 years old, so not exactly a hotshot like Stevens or Shaka.

East Coast guy. He turned down Fordham. Happy at Iona, Rutgers or Seton Hall is what he would leave for.

What is a "big" hire? The reality we have to face is the changing structure of college athletics. Non Power 5 schools (especially without football) aren't going to get "big names" as the split approaches. You have to go with a hot shot assistant (Wojo at Marquette, Miller at Dayton, Holtmann at Butler), successful low major coach (Fordham coach, Paulson at George Mason, Wade at VCU) or retread (Leitao at DePaul). That's the reality of bring outside the Power 5 and at a non football school now.

Random candidate: Marty Simmons at "You People in Evansville" seems to have turned that ship around. I realize there may be some resistance to hiring another former You People in Evansville coach, but he also had a good run at SIUE before they made the jump to DI.

I can confirm with zero degrees of separation that this will not occur.

P. J. Carlesimo

I would worry that Carlesimo would take a lot of $$$ and do nothing. This happened at Cleveland St. When they hired Rollie Massimino at the end of his career.

Speaking of Cleveland St., Gary Waters is a great coach who has shown a knack for finding local diamond in the rough recruits. Unfortunately for him, 3 of his players transferred to high profile D1 programs this year (Michigan St., Louisville, Wichita St.)

I would worry that Carlesimo would take a lot of $$$ and do nothing. This happened at Cleveland St. When they hired Rollie Massimino at the end of his career.

Speaking of Cleveland St., Gary Waters is a great coach who has shown a knack for finding local diamond in the rough recruits. Unfortunately for him, 3 of his players transferred to high profile D1 programs this year (Michigan St., Louisville, Wichita St.)

Waters also flamed out at Rutgers and is 64

Kampe is a lifer at OU. 60 years old, 31 years there, took them from D2 to D1 and the Horizon League.

I was responding to a post about Washington losing to Oakland. Oakland is a really good team this season despite most people not realizing it. I was not suggesting Kampe for the job.

Who would qualify as "big" to you?

Here's the thing: as far as I've seen, there isn't another Rick Majerus sitting in an ESPN studio that you can hire. Unless I'm missing someone, you don't want any of their guys coaching at SLU.

I'd be all for getting a guy like Ben Jacobson or Bryce Drew. They're Midwest guys who have had success at their schools.

The likelihood is that the coaches we will be linked to with the most name recognition will be guys who have been fired in the last few years by bigger schools (e.g. Herb Sendek, Anthony Grant, or someone else who gets fired at the end of the season) or possibly someone in a tenuous situation at a BCS school who decides to jump before his employer can fire him (like what McDermott did with leaving Iowa State for Creighton).

If we can't land a bigger name, I'd be more focused on finding an up-and-comer that is a good fit for SLU. It might not do us a ton of good to hire a mid-major coach who happens to win an NCAA Tournament game or two in March if he's never coached or recruited in the Midwest. Look into guys who have been assistants at schools with winning cultures (e.g. Xavier, Butler) and give them the resources to build a winning culture at SLU.

+1 The thing I am looking forward to the least about our upcoming coach search is the comments from the guys that think we can land just about anyone. Yes, we have great facilities, but we have zero momentum as a program right now. Our realistic get for our coaching vacancy is a top assistant or lower level (below Mo Valley) head coach. Understand that we are in worse shape, not better shape, than when Majerus agreed to come here.

+1 The thing I am looking forward to the least about our upcoming coach search is the comments from the guys that think we can land just about anyone. Yes, we have great facilities, but we have zero momentum as a program right now. Our realistic get for our coaching vacancy is a top assistant or lower level (below Mo Valley) head coach. Understand that we are in worse shape, not better shape, than when Majerus agreed to come here.

Has anyone really suggested anyone like that. The two guys that would fit that bill that have been mentioned so far are Drew and Jacobsen. When they get mentioned it is almost always attached with the caveat they are highly unlikely.

They are the guys you throw a number at the first day. When they tell you no, you move on to the probably more realistic candidates. You at least got a throw a number at them and see if they bite.