Observations from Section 119

mrjoelabs

This team lacks one thing more than anything, and that is mental toughness.

The whole game was defined by 2 moments.

#1 We lead 7-2, 2 silly fouls later we fold up after not being able to stretch lead.

#2 Lead is cut to 26-25. Timeout. I turned to the better half and tell her, we just can't fall apart in the next 1:41 and we can have a game 2nd half. Game on, Mike lines up for 3 for the lead...steps on endline. Again mental breakdown..6-0 run...2nd half opens, become 11-1 run. Ballgame.

Crews has to do a better job of preparing his teams for adversity. The billikens almost ALWAYS will be out athleted... even against teams like Morehead. They have to win with grit, strong fundamentals, solid defense, and ball control offense. RM new this. Even Soderberg knew this. Crews seems to not realize it.

Think about it, this really started in 2013-2014. All those games Jett had to save us in. Things were already fracturing. And we had Wichita beat that year and then screwed it up second half. I wanted Crews out last year. I gave him hope this year when I saw him legitmately trying to insall his system for his players....

But it seems he has no system. Morehead wasn't a trap game...this team is trapped in mediocrity, and I don't know what can save it.

And why do Miles and Davell decide to take over late 2nd half, good dribble drives either converting or drawing fouls, and 2nd half..they are in witness protection... This team cannot adjust.

Last...North Florida was a gimmick team. If they go 20-25 from 3 they win. Anything else they are awful. The win over them was inflated, by me and others.

No, this team lacks better players. Why can't we recruit the kinds of players that we see whooping on us in our own building?

Need a coach that can either recruit better or coach them up better or preferably both.

As I said we will always be out done talent wise. Getting a player today to come here and ACTUALLY ATTEND CLASS..behave himself, and probably make a 4 year commitment is hard. Need to coach up who we have. That is what Rick did.

As I said we will always be out done talent wise. Getting a player today to come here and ACTUALLY ATTEND CLASS..behave himself, and probably make a 4 year commitment is hard. Need to coach up who we have. That is what Rick did.

There are a lot of schools with better academic rankings than us that have better players than us

This is a fallacy.

Then why are those players not here

Because Crews can't recruit?

Look at Reggie for example, he's not a modern day PF. They play facing the basket, Reggie plays like he's in a one on one game where he uses his butt to back the defender to the hoop. Problem is by the time he gets there, he's attracted two more defenders like bees to honey. That's coaching, you tell him to stop it, or he'll never leave the bench.

You can analyze this whole roster and what you'll come up with is about 5 legit D1 players, but not one of those 5 would be a starter on a team that ranks in the top 100. Hence, this is why we're going to be lucky to break into the top 200 this year. We simply need better players.

Because Crews can't recruit?

That's right. In addition to his inability to coach, Crews is also a terrible recruiter.

The Bill's had just come off of their best three season's in team history; being nationally ranked and advancing in the NCAA tournament all three years. Crews' inability to recruit major talent after that is pathetic.

But, based on the circumstances and timing, it is understandable that Crews is still the HC. School administrators had to keep him on after two COY's, and last year was re-building; even though anybody paying attention, even 2 seasons ago, could tell that Crews was not the answer.

Best case scenario, moving forward, is for the team to continue to suck out-loud. In addition, the players should be encouraged to hang coach Crews in effigy. That would go a long way in supporting his demise.

It's sad when you're kind of hoping they suck out loud to effect a much needed change. But honestly the last two games looked a lot like last year's lousy basketball. Crews gets a bit of a pass for last year due to a lot of inexperience and disparate parts. His pass has expired now. No, we were not going to be a dance team this year, but we did expect to see something close to a developing team. I don't think that's gonna happen this year or even next year.

I told you all last January that this was a low talent roster and the freshmen added this year fit the roster well. Neither of them are good enough to play significant minutes after joining this poor team.

The kid for next year indeed is more talented, but he comes from a poorly coached high school and isn't going to come in to our roster with a high level awareness and understanding of basketball. A good coach might fix that. Unfortunately as Mr king points out not only is this coaching staff poor recruiters they are not good at development and floor coaching.

This isn't going to fix easy. We are back to a team level the billikens took 30 years to emerge from. Hopefully it won't take that long again. The best case scenario is 4 years minimum. But that will take a home run coach and staff that just dominates recruiting immeduately.

It can be done. But that level of a four year turnaround will be very expensive.

Thanks Dr chaifetz for the appearance last night. THAT the highlight of the night as it told me he has not given up on our team. Now we need him and other big timers to speak their mind and offer their assistance. We cannot let crews finish his contract. The time is 2016 or we bury ourselves further into ekkertime

If you were a big donor who would be willing to foot the bill to buy out the last 2 years of Crew's contract what assurances do you have that the right coach would be hired by our wrong AD - May. While Crews is to blame for what we see on the court, May is to blame for taking the easy way out and simply going with Crews. I am also tired of hearing this COY argument is the reason we HAD to hire Crews. That is just nonsense. We had no commitment to Crews. Others schools do the bold thing not the easy thing - look at Wisconsin - they did not take the easy way out and they have a pretty good coach because of it. We could have attracted a young exciting coach even if he would only have stayed 3 -5 years we would be so much better off. Hiring Crews was a major screw up and many knew it could only end badly. For those who were so haughty as to taunt those who had predicted a 12 win season after we beat UNF - where are you now - do you really think the 12 win prediction is that fair off - by the way I made no prediction and I never do because until I see the team play a few games I have no idea how good or bad they will be. At this point, I am not thinking this is a enough improvement to boost the program. We will simply have to let the season play out maybe Crews will find a genie in the bottle and turn this mess around - calling Jeannie.

May's track record isn't good either. The Majerus hire wasn't really his decision. Even the Stone hire was more so Majerus' doing because he viewed her very highly and would attend her basketball camps.

So really, May hasn't done much of anything except let the AD become extremely disorganized....

Majerus was hired under Levick. May didn't show until the next year.

If you were a big donor who would be willing to foot the bill to buy out the last 2 years of Crew's contract what assurances do you have that the right coach would be hired by our wrong AD - May. While Crews is to blame for what we see on the court, May is to blame for taking the easy way out and simply going with Crews. I am also tired of hearing this COY argument is the reason we HAD to hire Crews. That is just nonsense. We had no commitment to Crews. Others schools do the bold thing not the easy thing - look at Wisconsin - they did not take the easy way out and they have a pretty good coach because of it. We could have attracted a young exciting coach even if he would only have stayed 3 -5 years we would be so much better off. Hiring Crews was a major screw up and many knew it could only end badly. For those who were so haughty as to taunt those who had predicted a 12 win season after we beat UNF - where are you now - do you really think the 12 win prediction is that fair off - by the way I made no prediction and I never do because until I see the team play a few games I have no idea how good or bad they will be. At this point, I am not thinking this is a enough improvement to boost the program. We will simply have to let the season play out maybe Crews will find a genie in the bottle and turn this mess around - calling Jeannie.

Butler pulled it off also. When Brad Stevens hand picked replacement, Brandon Miller, wasn't working out, the AD, Barry Collier, who knows basketball, took the bold move quickly hiring Chris Holtmann from Gardner-Webb. He must seen something because record at Gardner-Webb was just a little above average. They doing pretty good. Just beat # 17 Cincy and will probably be ranked again.

I made the post asking if people would want to change it and it wasn't taunting anyone nor did anyone seem to take it that way. Hell, you didn't make a prediction so why do you care about predictions now? II also went back to the post after the last game and reversed the question even questioning my own prediction. Lastly, it was 8:13 am the morning after the game ... I was sleeping, that's where I was

I've always wondered how the Morehead States, Missouri States, and other schools with no better basketball credentials that us end up with better athletes. You can't tell me that all of the players on those teams couldn't hack it academically at SLU. We are either poor recruiters or poor evaluators of talent, or both. I don't think Crews is selling what todays recruits are buying. Unlike Majerus, with Crews there aren't people around these recruits telling them to go play for Crews, he is a basketball savant that will get to the tournament, improve your game and get you the recognition you deserve. Majerus had that going and deservedly so. I don't see much hope with Crews at the helm.

Also, why doesn't Crews tell Yarborough he is a power forward, not a point guard. If you get the urge to drive to the basket and there are 3 people between you and the basket, don't. Pull up and take a jumper or pass. Malik has obvious talent, but he is not playing to his strengths. He is playing to his weaknesses. Its Crews job to point that out and if he refuses, sit him. 5 TOs nullifies the rest of his contributions.

May's track record isn't good either. The Majerus hire wasn't really his decision. Even the Stone hire was more so Majerus' doing because he viewed her very highly and would attend her basketball camps.

So really, May hasn't done much of anything except let the AD become extremely disorganized....

He was not even here when RM was hired. Levick was the AD so he had nothing to do with RM that is why RM just thumbed his nose at him.

The 4-0 start gave some hope but it's apparent now that this is another lost season. The offense remains putrid, our bigs are not D-1 caliber, and Neufeld looks like a bust. MY is off to a disappointing start, we know why 'Nova thought Ash was expendable, and so far our shooters aren't shooting. MR is the only bright spot so far as far as how much he's improved but that's where the progress begins and ends. I figured the loss of Welmer would be a blow as he's the only frontcourt player with nice talent to match a high hoop IQ, but I honestly thought we could get some production from our bigs. Not happening. Very disappointing turn of events.

I made the post asking if people would want to change it and it wasn't taunting anyone nor did anyone seem to take it that way. Hell, you didn't make a prediction so why do you care about predictions now? II also went back to the post after the last game and reversed the question even questioning my own prediction. Lastly, it was 8:13 am the morning after the game ... I was sleeping, that's where I was

I don't remember who made the post - I was not talking specifically about anyone person just the idea how people can jump on and off the bandwagon. I guess what you are saying is that you meant it as simply a question to be responded to and so I may have misinterpreted it.

The 4-0 start gave some hope but it's apparent now that this is another lost season. The offense remains putrid, our bigs are not D-1 caliber, and Neufeld looks like a bust. MY is off to a disappointing start, we know why 'Nova thought Ash was expendable, and so far our shooters aren't shooting. MR is the only bright spot so far as far as how much he's improved but that's where the progress begins and ends. I figured the loss of Welmer would be a blow as he's the only frontcourt player with nice talent to match a high hoop IQ, but I honestly thought we could get some production from our bigs. Not happening. Very disappointing turn of events.

Way to early to bail on Neufeld - I actually think he may be pretty good given some time to adjust to D1.

He was not even here when RM was hired. Levick was the AD so he had nothing to do with RM that is why RM just thumbed his nose at him.

That's what I thought. Where did we even hire Chris May from? What prior experience/"expertise" led the administration to believe that he could be someone who could help build a winning athletic program? Why did they think he was someone who could understand basketball and be able to find coaching talent (in the case that Majerus did not pan out-- which he did--but nonetheless)...

Way to early to bail on Neufeld - I actually think he may be pretty good given some time to adjust to D1.

I agree with this, unfortunately until this team has someone that can post up and dominate the key like Evans did, the offense will sputter. Neufeld and Gilmann do not have the strength to do that yet.....Reggie needs to take the pass and either go up for a shot or pass out quickly, otherwise it is a turnover.....last night the same for MY

That's what I thought. Where did we even hire Chris May from? What prior experience/"expertise" led the administration to believe that he could be someone who could help build a winning athletic program? Why did they think he was someone who could understand basketball and be able to find coaching talent (in the case that Majerus did not pan out-- which he did--but nonetheless)...

22 years at Colorado with the final job of associate athletic director for external affairs.