Hughes getting more involved

Westy03

Hughes is a businessman now. He started a charitable fund early in his career, he's always owned nighclubs, bars, gyms, and has a basketball training program now. During that time he was a POS for the most part. Has he changed? No probably not. Now he's using his presence at SLU to advance his own brand. It would be one thing if SLU was a state school but we aren't. We are a Jesuit institution with Jesuit values. If Hughes has changed his ways then fine (he hasn't). He's just not someone who we should have mentoring our players in our program. Hughes can come to games, wave to the crowd, and that's it. Mentoring players, giving interviews advacing his brand and aligning it with SLU's should not be allowed. I wouldn't want Miles teaching guys how to sneak guns in airports just as I wouldn't want Hughes and McBroom showing the team the finer points of banging your teammates girlfriends.

I don't care what Larry does. I care what he does in conjunction with SLU. When he partners with SLU, his brand becomes SLU's brand. I'm not comfortable with that. Not difficult to understand.

Do we trust Hughes the same? Or are we affording his said treatment because he was a great player? I don't call the shots in the AD so I have no say.

If Hughes is a businessman, then SLU is a business, even if it is a Jesuit institution with Jesuit values. Do you honestly think that someone coming in with the perspective of a businessman (which I think is a bit of a stretch), would be telling players how to bang teammates' girlfriends in order to advance his brand? None of that makes any sense. If he wanted to advance his brand, he'd be pushing for their success and the program's advancement on the court, nothing more. The idea of Hughes sitting around with college players, trying to coax them into doing all the things you accuse him of doing - it's just comically absurd. Like he's some creepy uncle or something saying inappropriate things at a cookout. It makes no sense at all.

But I don't think his presence is just brand-building (which, really, is a weak reason to show up and volunteer himself; no one cares about Larry's brand in a big way because he's retired and far from a household name). He's a retired guy in his mid-30s trying to reconnect to the one thing he's done with his life since childhood.

Like it or not, even if he's not hanging around these days, he's linked to SLU's brand. SLU isn't returning all the revenue from that fun 1997-1998 season because they think he was a little fast and loose with his post-SLU lifestyle. The first thing people say to me when SLU basketball comes up is one of two things: "Rick Majerus!" or "Larry Hughes!" SLU cannot separate Hughes from its basketball identity because it hasn't produced another NBA player since. Others have been drafted or cracked rosters, but there is literally no one else who can fill that role, so the fact that he wants to do it is great.

If the school were to act high and mighty and ban him from campus or refuse his attempts to connect with the program, it would lead to way, way worse publicity - and it seems there are few people who think this publicity is anything but positive to begin with. (And if you want to use the basis "Jesuit values," you'll have a much harder time constructing an argument against letting him get involved than welcoming him.)

There's nothing to worry about here, no "trust" problem, no preferential treatment. He's not corrupting our innocent youth.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think when it comes to managing Jayson's image it is a team effort with his mom, Justin, and Larry at the front. Hanlen, Beal and others all play roles, too.

It really operates like a PR firm and every statement is calculated.

I agree that they have handled Jayson like a PR firm, but I think that is mostly mom and the guidance she sought out from others (Beal family for example and I had heard from those somewhat close who think they actually may work some sort of a PR firm). My friend was in a sports law class with Jayson's mom and the first day of class the teacher had the students introduce themselves and say why they were taking the course (mostly dudes who were sports fans and thought it would be easier than other courses), Jayson's mom (Brandy I think is her name) said that she was taking the course because her son was going to be in the NBA and she was going to be his agent. My friend asked her after class who her son was (assumed he was some college star) and she told him about her son who was in grade school, so he was thinking to himself right, good luck with that. Just an anecdote, but I think it kind of demonstrates what many have thought with regards to Jayson's career and recruitment all being planned, maybe it was.

I agree that they have handled Jayson like a PR firm, but I think that is mostly mom and the guidance she sought out from others (Beal family for example). My friend was in a sports law class with Jayson's mom and the first day of class the teacher had the students introduce themselves and say why they were taking the course (mostly dudes who were sports fans and thought it would be easier than other courses), Jayson's mom (Brandy I think is her name) said that she was taking the course because her son was going to be in the NBA and she was going to be his agent. My friend asked her after class who her son was (assumed he was some college star) and she told him about her son who was in grade school, so he was thinking to himself right, good luck with that. Just an anecdote, but I think it kind of demonstrates what many have thought with regards to Jayson's career and recruitment all being planned, maybe it was.

No doubt mom is the most powerful voice in this.

You are assuming that Hughes has matured and moved on. What proof do you have of this?

I respect Miles for his actions. Miles is probably smoking weed and drving around in late model impalas. He's not doing that in conjunction with shaping young men's minds. He has no business doing that so he doesn't.

While Larry could be a responsible adult & businessman he probably isn't and is trying to shape young men's minds.

Where we disagree on this may be what we believe are Larry's motives. You believe Larry wants to help mentor kids. I believe Larry wants to make money and will use the the goodwill from his playing days at SLU to do so. Agree to disagree.

What proof do you have that he hasn't matured and moved on? It's not something that can be proven. I'm simply saying that the motives you suggest he has make virtually no sense whatsoever. To promote a new venture he's involved with (Champions League) while also getting involved with the program? Yeah, there's clearly some mutual benefit there. But anyone could tell you there's not a fortune to be made in start-up minor league sports, and he's clearly been involved long before the league was announced (logo redesign input, coming to preseason workouts, advising Tatum during his recruitment, etc.).

There's no downside to having him around. None. It's just your own dislike of Hughes because of his off-court behavior when he was in the league. How do you think it would play out? Three years down the road, we hear that Ash's Euro basketball career has been derailed because he banged a teammate's girlfriend? "I was a good guy until my senior year of college, then Larry Hughes began to talk to me about my game - off the court. Then I transformed into a monster and can't control myself." It's absurd.

It's still incongruous to "respect Miles for his actions" (do you mean 'inaction'?) and lay waste to Hughes for his.

The whole "SLU was in Jayson's final two" thing that him, Hughes, and the family have played is nice and all but I'm tired of it. It doesn't rebuild any type of relationship with the school or city and if those things were super super important, he could have just stayed. I'm not saying he severed all ties when he committed to Duke but I'm also tired of this act.

What proof do you have that he hasn't matured and moved on? It's not something that can be proven. I'm simply saying that the motives you suggest he has make virtually no sense whatsoever. To promote a new venture he's involved with (Champions League) while also getting involved with the program? Yeah, there's clearly some mutual benefit there. But anyone could tell you there's not a fortune to be made in start-up minor league sports, and he's clearly been involved long before the league was announced (logo redesign input, coming to preseason workouts, advising Tatum during his recruitment, etc.).

There's no downside to having him around. None. It's just your own dislike of Hughes because of his off-court behavior when he was in the league. How do you think it would play out? Three years down the road, we hear that Ash's Euro basketball career has been derailed because he banged a teammate's girlfriend? "I was a good guy until my senior year of college, then Larry Hughes began to talk to me about my game - off the court. Then I transformed into a monster and can't control myself." It's absurd.

It's still incongruous to "respect Miles for his actions" (do you mean 'inaction'?) and lay waste to Hughes for his.

Apparently better to sit around your house, smoke dope and do absolutely nothing, than try to do something when your playing career is over.

And as far as the nonsense about LH not meshing with the values of SLU... isn't a big part of Catholic education forgiveness, redemption and all of that stuff? We don't exactly have a long list of former NBA players. If the guy wants to move back home, put aside the life on the road lifestyle, and start a new chapter in his life, I don't see a downside... even if he stumbles down the road.

You are taking it to the extreme and being absurd.

Anything Hughes does right now, SLU will get put in the headline if he is actively connected with the program, good or bad.

So if Hughes makes a huge charitable donation we are linked with him. Also if some girl he took home from his nightclub at 3AM accuses him of rape we are in the headline as well. If you comfortable with that then so be it.

Hughes has a pattern of this behavior. You are betting that he doesn't repeat it. I'm not much a betting man.

Apparently better to sit around your house, smoke dope and do absolutely nothing, than try to do something when your playing career is over.

And as far as the nonsense about LH not meshing with the values of SLU... isn't a big part of Catholic education forgiveness, redemption and all of that stuff? We don't exactly have a long list of former NBA players. If the guy wants to move back home, put aside the life on the road lifestyle, and start a new chapter in his life, I don't see a downside... even if he stumbles down the road.

Do you read my posts at all?

If you are comfortable giving a big star a break who has a history of poor decisions so be it. I am not. There is a downside but because Hughes is our only former NBA player you aren't looking at it.

Hughes will always be "former SLU, NBA star" in local headlines and "former NBA player" in headlines everywhere else. Even if you give him the Pete Rose treatment and ban him from campus, that isn't going to undo the association. Pretty bizarre to bemoan something positive coming out of an association that's always going to be there regardless.

I don't find the use of debating the personal merits of a former star player on here when that player says only positive things about the school. It has been almost 18 years since he left school and he has never brought scandal down upon the school in that time. People should cut the guy some slack here.

You are taking it to the extreme and being absurd.

Anything Hughes does right now, SLU will get put in the headline if he is actively connected with the program, good or bad.

So if Hughes makes a huge charitable donation we are linked with him. Also if some girl he took home from his nightclub at 3AM accuses him of rape we are in the headline as well. If you comfortable with that then so be it.

Hughes has a pattern of this behavior. You are betting that he doesn't repeat it. I'm not much a betting man.

If you are comfortable giving a big star a break who has a history of poor decisions so be it. I am not. There is a downside but because Hughes is our only former NBA player you aren't looking at it.

Again, it's a stretch to have legitimate concerns about the headline risk associated with Hughes, as it relates to the school and the program. You seem relatively certain that he's a serial rapist despite being accused once, taken in once, and released once, ever, without charges. In fact, he's never been charged with any crime. His "pattern of behavior" is mostly stuff you'll have to go looking for, not stuff that's going to come up in the normal course of interactions.

If you're afraid of having a non-criminal be associated with the University, how can you get comfortable with the University ever having any public figure whatsoever associated with it? Isn't anyone with the potential to make headlines a headline risk by your definition?

It's more of a bet to say that someone will act in a way that will embarrass the University than not. I'm taking the moderate position - i.e. not turning away our only recent NBA player when he volunteers his time and efforts for the University. Your position is very un-Jesuit.

Jared from Subway. Now there's a guy I wouldn't want to have associated with SLU. Aaron Hernandez. Greg Hardy. O.J. Simpson.

Larry Hughes? The door's open, brother.

I don't find the use of debating the personal merits of a former star player on here when that player says only positive things about the school. It has been almost 18 years since he left school and he has never brought scandal down upon the school in that time. People should cut the guy some slack here.

Bang! They got it.

His goes to the greater fame and ability=the more you can get away with. Companies have billions of dollars invested in him so they need to protect him. Anyone who pays any attention though knows he gambled on basketball, games which he competed in and was removed from the NBA because of it. I'm saying it out loud right now yet he was so good it doesn't make him seem like a worse person for it.

Zwhaaa.. I had a 'yeah torch knew these guys in school, he probably has a decent feel for them." Passing off the MJ conspiracy theory as if it is undeniable fact makes me doubt your take on Hughes now though. That is taking things to the extreme and being absurd.

Zwhaaa.. I had a 'yeah torch knew these guys in school, he probably has a decent feel for them." Passing off the MJ conspiracy theory as if it is undeniable fact makes me doubt your take on Hughes now though. That is taking things to the extreme and being absurd.

I wasn't even talking about the gambling stuff. For the most part everyone at least has some idea about his gambling habits. I am talking about him sucker punching teammates, the affairs and paying money to coke dealers.

Breaking: some professional athletes make poor decisions, are a little rough around edges, after receiving millions and millions of dollars early in life. Story at 11

True, but replace some with most. A lot of these elite athletes come from ###### backgrounds with ###### parents and then are completely entitled because of their ability to play a game and that attracts a different form of ###### people idolizing them and trying to take advantage of them. Most big time athletes are ###### people. To dumb it down, think about the kids who were the best athletes at your high school. Were they also the smartest, most likeable, funniest, nicest, most ethical/moral, and most humble students in your class? Probably not. Their strengths happen to lie in an area that for whatever reason our society has placed a high value on and that entitles them to get a way with being ###### people. Kudos to big time athletes that aren't massive dickheads.

I've had you on ignore so long I forgot you posted here.

I don't care what Larry does. I care what he does in conjunction with SLU. When he partners with SLU, his brand becomes SLU's brand. I'm not comfortable with that. Not difficult to understand.

Sounds like you DO care what he does / has done.

True, but replace some with most. A lot of these elite athletes come from ###### backgrounds with ###### parents and then are completely entitled because of their ability to play a game and that attracts a different form of ###### people idolizing them and trying to take advantage of them. Most big time athletes are ###### people. To dumb it down, think about the kids who were the best athletes at your high school. Were they also the smartest, most likeable, funniest, nicest, and most humble students in your class? Probably not. Their strengths happen to lie in an area that for whatever reason our society has placed a high value on and that entitles them to get a way with being ###### people. Kudos to big time athletes that aren't massive dickheads.

And the other half don't have two parents in their lives to begin with. If Miles greatest transgressions, coming out of the ESTL school system, are carrying a gun to Lambert and smoking some dope, he should be given a medal

If Larry Hughes has a tremendously talented son or money to give, I want him associated with SLU.

(In all seriousness I don't know anything about Larry Hughes' personal life, either real or rumored.)

there was a very cute young man (probably 8 or 9 years old) sitting with Larry Last Tuesday night when i talked to Larry. Larry actually promised me that the little guy was a billiken to be. :D