Hughes getting more involved

Westy03

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very good analysis from Larry:

"It was just about making the decision that was best for him," Hughes said. "He did his homework and figured Duke was the right place to reach his long-term goals. I didn't really try to sell (SLU). It was just understanding that it's more than basketball once you're done with your playing career. What's the message you want to send? Where do you want to come back to? A lot of times guys (from St. Louis) go off to college and don't have the network in St. Louis, so when they're done playing, they have to go live in the area where they went to college."

As for whether Tatum was seriously considering SLU along with Duke?

"He was definitely considering. It really was his last two. There's no question about it."

This is a very good analysis from Larry:

"It was just about making the decision that was best for him," Hughes said. "He did his homework and figured Duke was the right place to reach his long-term goals. I didn't really try to sell (SLU). It was just understanding that it's more than basketball once you're done with your playing career. What's the message you want to send? Where do you want to come back to? A lot of times guys (from St. Louis) go off to college and don't have the network in St. Louis, so when they're done playing, they have to go live in the area where they went to college."

As for whether Tatum was seriously considering SLU along with Duke?

"He was definitely considering. It really was his last two. There's no question about it."

I agree, Tatum was given the support a godfather should give, he made his own choice. Larry is a fine guy.

Larry being around the program is the price we have to pay to get some donations from him I guess. He should be an example for no one in our program.

Because of his run-in with the law in NYC? Because of his shot selection? Because of a few unfortunate tattoo choices?

Otherwise, I can't figure out what you're talking about. To have a mentor close to the program, a guy from St. Louis who played his high school ball there, college ball at SLU, and made $85 million over a 13-season NBA career - well, there's literally only one person who can offer that kind of perspective to our program. I'll take him.

Interesting analysis by hughes. Anyone else get out of that hughes thinks Tatum made the wrong choice.

I guess it depends on what you put the most value on. How many guys who travel the country and world playing basketball making millions of dollars desire to return to St. Louis? If returning to St. Louis and being some sort of local legend is Jayson's ultimate goal, then Larry is implying he made the wrong decision. When you are talking about guys like Larry Hughes (who had a long NBA career) and Jayson Tatum (who likely will have a long NBA career), I am not so sure they have to worry much about networking though regardless of what city they head to after their playing career is over. What is Larry up to these days (36 years old and made $85 million playing ball, so assuming he had a decent financial planner he obviously doesn't have to do anything)?

On the surface it is good to see Larry around the program (I don't know much about him, so I won't comment on him beyond that).

made $85 million over a 13-season NBA career.

Looks like our classmate David Lee will jump Larry this year in career earnings ($91 million vs. $85 million). Bradley Beal will be at $19 million after this season, the final year of his rookie contract. Unreal how much money these guys have at such a young age (Beal is 22).

I guess it depends on what you put the most value on. How many guys who travel the country and world playing basketball making millions of dollars desire to return to St. Louis? If returning to St. Louis and being some sort of local legend is Jayson's ultimate goal, then Larry is implying he made the wrong decision. When you are talking about guys like Larry Hughes (who had a long NBA career) and Jayson Tatum (who likely will have a long NBA career), I am not so sure they have to worry much about networking though regardless of what city they head to after their playing career is over. What is Larry up to these days (36 years old and made $85 million playing ball, so assuming he had a decent financial planner he obviously doesn't have to do anything)?

On the surface it is good to see Larry around the program (I don't know much about him, so I won't comment on him beyond that).

I have seen Larry's instagram account a few times when the recruiting of Tatum was going on. He seems to do a lot with running youth basketball camps and other various camps as well as running and helping out with charity events.

I would think based on how Tatum talks about St. Louis, supports current St. Louis athletes and had the picture of him wearing his Cardinals jersey, standing in front of the Arch and everything, he would like to come back to St. Louis when he's done. For some reason a lot of people born in St. Louis, find their way back to St. Louis eventually. I agree I would think playing in the NBA for years you would have an easy time networking but then again Hughes is the one saying it helps going to SLU so I'll have to trust him. I did sort of see it as a hint that he thinks Jayson made the wrong choice because he knows there's a good chance he'll want to live in St. Louis when he's done playing.

I have seen Larry's instagram account a few times when the recruiting of Tatum was going on. He seems to do a lot with running youth basketball camps and other various camps as well as running and helping out with charity events.

I would think based on how Tatum talks about St. Louis, supports current St. Louis athletes and had the picture of him wearing his Cardinals jersey, standing in front of the Arch and everything, he would like to come back to St. Louis when he's done. For some reason a lot of people born in St. Louis, find their way back to St. Louis eventually. I agree I would think playing in the NBA for years you would have an easy time networking but then again Hughes is the one saying it helps going to SLU so I'll have to trust him. I did sort of see it as a hint that he thinks Jayson made the wrong choice because he knows there's a good chance he'll want to live in St. Louis when he's done playing.

Not to turn this into a debate, but I would be curious to know how it has helped him since his one season at SLU and how that help would not have been available in another city just being a former NBA star worth over $100 million. On the surface running basketball camps and helping with charity would be available to him in any city he played in based on his celebrity. Larry had that one incredible season at SLU (and an awesome prep career) that no doubt made him a local legend so to say, but do most people in St. Louis still look at him as such or just as a former NBA star from St. Louis (he played at SLU almost 20 years ago and played 10+ seasons away from St. Louis)? I guess I wonder if most people in the community see him differently than guys like David Lee or Bradley Beal, does it really matter where Larry spent his one year in college vs. where Beal spent his one year in college? I can't imagine it really does, but I could be wrong. Essentially, if Jayson desires to be a local legend in St. Louis I doubt him going to Duke for 10 months (plus he is going to play his 10+ seasons in the NBA away from STL) will prevent him from being such if he finds meaningful ways to return to the community during his playing career and reps the city as the kids say.

I still get excited when I see hughes in the stands. I couldn't care less about David Lee or beal. If they walked down the aisle as far as I know they could be a beer vendor and i'd tell them to get out of the way.

Not to turn this into a debate, but I would be curious to know how it has helped him since his one season at SLU and how that help would not have been available in another city just being a former NBA star worth over $100 million. On the surface running basketball camps and helping with charity would be available to him in any city he played in based on his celebrity. Larry had that one incredible season at SLU (and an awesome prep career) that no doubt made him a local legend so to say, but do most people in St. Louis still look at him as such or just as a former NBA star from St. Louis (he played at SLU almost 20 years ago and played 10+ seasons away from St. Louis)? I guess I wonder if most people in the community see him differently than guys like David Lee or Bradley Beal, does it really matter where Larry spent his one year in college vs. where Beal spent his one year in college? I can't imagine it really does, but I could be wrong. Essentially, if Jayson desires to be a local legend in St. Louis I doubt him going to Duke for 10 months (plus he is going to play his 10+ seasons in the NBA away from STL) will prevent him from being such if he finds meaningful ways to return to the community during his playing career and reps the city as the kids say.

I honestly think Larry is still a bigger deal in this town than both of those guys. Shouldn't be the case since Beal is already a better NBA player than Larry ever was while Lee had a very comparable, if not better, career. So I attribute it to the SLU thing.

I agree. I wasn't saying the youth basketball camps and charity are something he can do in St. Louis because of his connections, he could do that anywhere. I was just trying to answer your question to what he is up to and that's what I've seen him post about.

I was trying to think of recent NBA players from St. Louis who would be retired now that didn't go to SLU. Chris Carawell was drafted but didn't have the career like Larry Hughes but the first job he got after professional basketball was at Duke in administrative roles. Don't know what Jahidi White and Loren Woods are up to. Obviously we know SLU players Claggett and Justin Tatum have high school coaching jobs in the area. Beal did help out with the Eagles it looked like this summer.

That's why I said I would have to trust Hughes on it's easy with the networking when you go to SLU because I would agree with you, would think it'd be easy for any former NBA player to network here but perhaps the SLU connection helps out even more.

What's Darius Miles up to? He'd be another one to compare to Hughes from a local legacy standpoint.

Of all the local guys to go pro in the past 25 or so years, it seems like Hughes is the biggest name. He played the longest in the league (so far; Lee could surpass him in a couple years and potentially others after that). He won a state championship at CBC. He played a season at SLU in front of huge crowds.

I'd have to think the single season at SLU counted for something in terms of having a more widely recognized name these days than other locals to go pro. But could it be surpassed by another guy if he's able to equal Hughes' prep success or surpasses him from an NBA success standpoint?

If Tatum is able to win a state championship this season and make some noise at Duke, one of the most televised teams in college basketball, and then have a lengthy NBA career, I wonder how their legacies will compare (of course, it's a long time before we'll know that).

Because of his run-in with the law in NYC? Because of his shot selection? Because of a few unfortunate tattoo choices?

Otherwise, I can't figure out what you're talking about. To have a mentor close to the program, a guy from St. Louis who played his high school ball there, college ball at SLU, and made $85 million over a 13-season NBA career - well, there's literally only one person who can offer that kind of perspective to our program. I'll take him.

Just because he was a good player and made a lot of money and reps his hometown doesn't make him somebody I'd want coaching or teaching my kid.

Hughes fell into the stereotypical NBA lifestyle. Multiple children with multiple women, cheating on his wife openly, cheating with teamates wives/girlfriends, his wife cheating with his teamates, rape charges, not paying child support. Despite our fondness for him he fell into the traps of fame and has made and continues to make poor life decisions. If he was a better player he'd be regarded as a Gilbert Arenas type guy. Many NBA guys wreck their personal lives but still manage to grow their basketball career. Hughes clowned around and wrecked both. The facade he presents is a sham and I believe he stays around St. Louis not because he loves his hometown but because we openly ignore his personal problems and still regard him as a star.

I'm not making a judgement on his life, give me 85 million and I probably do some terrible things, but that doesn't mean he gets to use the University's good name to advance his own either.

Interesting stuff torch, I don't know anything about Larry personally (beyond what I have heard from people who were at CBC when Larry was there which are some pretty good stories), so I will take your word for it. Knowing Justin Tatum a little bit from his final year at SLU and hearing about their time at CBC, that doesn't overly surprise me.

Jahidi White is apparently doing some coaching, music writing, starting a staffing company with former PG Chris Whitney, or getting into the armored truck business in England. Google is an interesting wasteland of Jahidi White where is he now info. When he isn't doing all of those things, he is apparently appearing as an alien in low budget flicks as well. And that dude made $25,000,000 in the NBA.

http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/playerProfiles/profileDisplay.jsp?id=520

Loren Woods is/was (as of 2014) playing overseas for the Lebanese national team? Probably replaying tapes of his Arizona glory days, Ray Finkle style.

When Darius Miles is not being arrested for trying to bring a gun on a plane, he is living in Swansea. He made 60,000,000 in his short career. Not much out there about what he is doing except several pieces saying he declined to be interviewed for a "WTF Happened to DMiles" piece.

What's Darius Miles up to? He'd be another one to compare to Hughes from a local legacy standpoint.

Of all the local guys to go pro in the past 25 or so years, it seems like Hughes is the biggest name. He played the longest in the league (so far; Lee could surpass him in a couple years and potentially others after that). He won a state championship at CBC. He played a season at SLU in front of huge crowds.

I'd have to think the single season at SLU counted for something in terms of having a more widely recognized name these days than other locals to go pro. But could it be surpassed by another guy if he's able to equal Hughes' prep success or surpasses him from an NBA success standpoint?

If Tatum is able to win a state championship this season and make some noise at Duke, one of the most televised teams in college basketball, and then have a lengthy NBA career, I wonder how their legacies will compare (of course, it's a long time before we'll know that).

Miles does nothing and stays out of the spotlight. He won't do interviews. He's a guy who realizes that he had poor career guidance, ended up making poor choices and when he did people jumped on him. It wasn't his fault the clippers drafted him and had a team full of lowlifes and drug users. He fell into that crowd. Every other team that acquired him always had that stigma. He never had a strong head coach, or veteran leadership on his teams. His potential was wasted and he was out of the league by 28. He made over 50 million and since he was arrested at Lambert with a gun (a huge deal was made of this but he was fined just $100) he hasn't been heard from.

Miles does nothing and stays out of the spotlight. He won't do interviews. He's a guy who realizes that he had poor career guidance, ended up making poor choices and when he did people jumped on him. It wasn't his fault the clippers drafted him and had a team full of lowlifes and drug users. He fell into that crowd. Every other team that acquired him always had that stigma. He never had a strong head coach, or veteran leadership on his teams. His potential was wasted and he was out of the league by 28. He made over 50 million and since he was arrested at Lambert with a gun (a huge deal was made of this but he was fined just $100) he hasn't been heard from.

Your take on Miles and Hughes is really weird. You are basically saying the same thing, but making excuses for Miles being an idiot and thrashing Hughes for being an idiot. Both guys were about the same age when drafted. Both went to really unstable teams and continued throughout their career without much stability. What's the deal with that?