GDT Thread - SLU vs. UM-SL

billikenbill

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong I found at least one of the kiosks selling Schlafly

As did I, but I went from being flanked by Schlafly and UCBC stands to only having a small Schlafly stand on the other side of the arena. I guess they also figured out they lost money on the bottomless popcorn with my boys.

On the bright side, I think we should be a lot better because it was shockingly apparent tonight how dramatic that transition is for true freshmen, which is a good thing for our many sophomores and juniors.

OK guys I was there and even though my technical knowledge of basketball is limited, this is what I saw:

Ash played well, appears much better under control and more relaxed, did well with rebounds, scoring and FT. MY did well with rebounds and fouls, did not score much and did some hotdogging from my point of view. Crawford was off the beam for the first half, many shots little scoring, he got his groove in the second half. Did well scoring, rebounding and FT throwing. Bartley was also off at the beginning but improved steadily did well with scoring, and FT, some rebounding (I have not seen the stats).

Reggie was great rebounding, not so good scoring. He is like a retriever going after the ball but still lost a ball or two during play and missed shots. I thought he looked better but this was an exhibition game so I do not really know. Roby was good all around scoring, rebounding, FTs.

Miles I thought was much improved, he is more aggressive and more versatile in the floor, did score, defend, rebound well, good FTs, not a single play player any more or so it seems to me.

The three bigs were a bit of a problem, lots of fouls. Jolly did not do much and appeared to move in slow mo at times. Gillman was much better than Jolly but was very foul prone and low scoring. I thought Neufeld was equal or better than Gillman, please keep in mind that these are very uninformed comments. Neufeld looked a bit lost at times but he was where the action was and pressed in. In my opinion he will be a good addition to the team and may surpass Gillman this year. Gillman is OK but not great, Jolly is Jolly and nothing to look forward to.

Bishop is very fast but appeared a bit tentative and not ready to feel at ease and press during a game. He can drive, and pass, I am not sure how much he can defend. He is fast. I think he may be very good later on this year. Hines did not play much at all and his play was mostly dribbling and passing the ball, he did not do much of anything in the few minutes he played today.

Points to be noted: I thought our FT had improved a lot from last year. Turnovers were low and we caused a fair number of turnovers on the other team. Defense was good (this was a DII team we played), and rebounding was much better than last year.

The uniforms are like last year's but they say Billikens in the front. And Oh, wonder of wonders, we had a zone defense in place and ready to go (we used it for a few minutes only but it was there and was effective).

From my point of view, Ash and Milik will be very good as expected, I think Crawford, Bartley and Roby will live up to expectations. Reggie may or may not have improved but he is still a very tenacious rebounder who is not afraid of physical contact and has the bulk to be an impediment to an opponent. I think the three bigs we have will do a passable job, even against much better teams but will need a lot of support. I presume Neufeld will improve rapidly this year and will be our mainstay center later on in the year. I think Gillman will do his best and will be serviceable and even good at times. Jolly I just do not see doing much of anything.

I cannot say much about Hines, I just did not see him play enough. I do hope he does well and I believe he will try very hard to do so.

The surprises for me this year were Miles and Bishop. Miles was markedly improved in my opinion which is very good. Bishop is very fast and I think will do a creditable job and may grow to be an important contributor to the team this year, at this time he is still tentative, which is not surprising thinking this is his first college level game (let's not count Bermuda as college games). My other surprises were how well we were doing with FTs; the low rate of turnovers (which may well change once we start playing DI teams), and the fact that we used a zone defense during this game. On the bad side many of our players appear tentative and we make a lot of fouls. Defense is better than last year, but again we must see if this translates into DI play.

This is what I got out of this game.

OK guys I was there and even though my technical knowledge of basketball is limited, this is what I saw:

Ash played well, appears much better under control and more relaxed, did well with rebounds, scoring and FT. MY did well with rebounds and fouls, did not score much and did some hotdogging from my point of view. Crawford was off the beam for the first half, many shots little scoring, he got his groove in the second half. Did well scoring, rebounding and FT throwing. Bartley was also off at the beginning but improved steadily did well with scoring, and FT, some rebounding (I have not seen the stats).

Reggie was great rebounding, not so good scoring. He is like a retriever going after the ball but still lost a ball or two during play and missed shots. I thought he looked better but this was an exhibition game so I do not really know. Roby was good all around scoring, rebounding, FTs.

Miles I thought was much improved, he is more aggressive and more versatile in the floor, did score, defend, rebound well, good FTs, not a single play player any more or so it seems to me.

The three bigs were a bit of a problem, lots of fouls. Jolly did not do much and appeared to move in slow mo at times. Gillman was much better than Jolly but was very foul prone and low scoring. I thought Neufeld was equal or better than Gillman, please keep in mind that these are very uninformed comments. Neufeld looked a bit lost at times but he was where the action was and pressed in. In my opinion he will be a good addition to the team and may surpass Gillman this year. Gillman is OK but not great, Jolly is Jolly and nothing to look forward to.

Bishop is very fast but appeared a bit tentative and not ready to feel at ease and press during a game. He can drive, and pass, I am not sure how much he can defend. He is fast. I think he may be very good later on this year. Hines did not play much at all and his play was mostly dribbling and passing the ball, he did not do much of anything in the few minutes he played today.

Points to be noted: I thought our FT had improved a lot from last year. Turnovers were low and we caused a fair number of turnovers on the other team. Defense was good (this was a DII team we played), and rebounding was much better than last year.

The uniforms are like last year's but they say Billikens in the front. And Oh, wonder of wonders, we had a zone defense in place and ready to go (we used it for a few minutes only but it was there and was effective).

From my point of view, Ash and Milik will be very good as expected, I think Crawford, Bartley and Roby will live up to expectations. Reggie may or may not have improved but he is still a very tenacious rebounder who is not afraid of physical contact and has the bulk to be an impediment to an opponent. I think the three bigs we have will do a passable job, even against much better teams but will need a lot of support. I presume Neufeld will improve rapidly this year and will be our mainstay center later on in the year. I think Gillman will do his best and will be serviceable and even good at times. Jolly I just do not see doing much of anything.

I cannot say much about Hines, I just did not see him play enough. I do hope he does well and I believe he will try very hard to do so.

The surprises for me this year were Miles and Bishop. Miles was markedly improved in my opinion which is very good. Bishop is very fast and I think will do a creditable job and may grow to be an important contributor to the team this year, at this time he is still tentative, which is not surprising thinking this is his first college level game (let's not count Bermuda as college games). My other surprises were how well we were doing with FTs; the low rate of turnovers (which may well change once we start playing DI teams), and the fact that we used a zone defense during this game. On the bad side many of our players appear tentative and we make a lot of fouls. Defense is better than last year, but again we must see if this translates into DI play.

Old Guy, can you take over as the beat writer?

Thanks Old Guy! Sounds like they are a better team a year later. I hope their defensive tenacity rises with the comp level and becomes a problem for our opponents. I am really looking forward to the North Florida, Louisville, Wichita State, and Kansas State games. Oh yes, beat the @_$_#& out of RI in Kingston to start A10 play. That is a team that needs to be stomped in the ground.

I put down 3 large beers at the game, dealt with a whole row of bratty kids and then watched the second half of the GOP debate when I got home, but I'll take a shot at providing some insight:

-- Ash looks to be the top guy offensively. Hit some outside shots and slashed to the basket. He also grabbed some boards and played good D. He will have to be on the court for close to 30 minutes a game if we are to be a decent team.

-- Crawford will be best utilized as the 6th man, only because Ash and he share the same position and he can replace both Ash and Roby. (Also Ash can play the 4 in a pinch and against small teams.) Good to see Mike chuck it up with confidence.

-- Bartley is a gifted three-point shooter, but still worried about his ball handling and D as a point. He seems like a 2 to me, but it would be great to have a tall long point if he can prove his skills at the position.

-- Roby still comes across as the most solid all around player on the team. I feel like by his junior year he can give us 10 points, 5 boards and 4 assists a game while possibly tossing in a couple of steals.

-- Milik still seems like he is dealing with the reality that he is going to be a 4 in his tenure at SLU. It feels like he is thinking too much when he has the ball in his hands. At times he wants to show he can handle the ball while at other times he wants to show he can play low post. Once he can get a handle on where he is best utilized he'll be fine

-- Neufeld looked far more fluid in the 5 than either Gillman or Jolly. He may not be a stud early on but it seems like he can score a handful of points, grab a few boards and even block a shot here and there right off the bat. In my opinion, he will be a special player in a couple of years.

-- Jolly sucks. Sorry, he just does. Let him be a fill in guy this year and then advise him to in the offseason about his best options.

-- Reynolds just has a nose for scoring. Too bad he can't shoot. You still have to like his tenacity and the way he finds a way to score points. I like him as a shot of energy off the bench.

-- Can Gillman be another Loe over time? Yeah, I don't know.

-- I like how Bishop looks. He didn't show much, but it feels like he can be the real deal down the line.

-- Agbeko should be a valuable big man this year. He'll grab boards and hit a couple of post up buckets a game.

Can't wait until the official first game on Sunday!

-I had low expectations for the night and they were exceeded, it was an exhibition game against a D2 school, no one got hurt, we won, scored over 60, limited turnovers, handled UMSL's physical play as I thought they were quite physical

-one plea, MY, let the game come to you

-not good to hear about the popcorn, that's a real bummer

Exhibition games are my favorite. Dominate and we'll be better than expected. Struggle and it's only an exhibition.

Didn't see any of it and not taking anything from it, but really hope we can find a 8-9 man rotation pretty quickly.

Crawford, Ash, Yarbrough, Roby, Bartley, Agbeko, Neufeld, Gillmann as for sures. The last spot open to whatever PG is playing the best I guess. Jolly shouldn't see the floor.

Exhibition games are my favorite. Dominate and we'll be better than expected. Struggle and it's only an exhibition.

Didn't see any of it and not taking anything from it, but really hope we can find a 8-9 man rotation pretty quickly.

Crawford, Ash, Yarbrough, Roby, Bartley, Agbeko, Neufeld, Gillmann as for sures. The last spot open to whatever PG is playing the best I guess. Jolly shouldn't see the floor.

According to many its the opposite: Dominate and its just an exhibition and struggle and the team is doomed.

My incredibly basic takeaway from last night is that if we don't hit threes we have no shot of winning. the first 12 or so minutes we were 0-fer and were getting beat by freaking UMSL. We started hitting them and all of a sudden we've got a commanding lead. this team won't score much around the basket, doesn't play lock-down defense and will likely turn the ball over against pressure D. We have to shoot the 3 well to win.

And given the randomness of making 3 point shots, I think we'll lose a couple complete stinkers against crap teams but will also beat some teams where its a pretty big shocker. We came close on some shockers last year (VCU, Dayton @ GW) but this year we'll get a few of those.

According to many its the opposite: Dominate and its just an exhibition and struggle and the team is doomed.

My incredibly basic takeaway from last night is that if we don't hit threes we have no shot of winning. the first 12 or so minutes we were 0-fer and were getting beat by freaking UMSL. We started hitting them and all of a sudden we've got a commanding lead. this team won't score much around the basket, doesn't play lock-down defense and will likely turn the ball over against pressure D. We have to shoot the 3 well to win.

And given the randomness of making 3 point shots, I think we'll lose a couple complete stinkers against crap teams but will also beat some teams where its a pretty big shocker. We came close on some shockers last year (VCU, Dayton @ GW) but this year we'll get a few of those.

I'm more down on the team than you, but it's hard to disagree with this. This is what I expected last season to be like, but I may just be a year off.

Actually, the FT shooting ended up being about what last years was. Jolly played good defense. Milik made one bad outlet pass and he knew he screwed up - otherwise he played well. Neufeld did what you would expect from a freshmen in his first game - so did Bishop, he had a great pass to MC for a layup.