Final Four thread

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tied at the half but I'm saying Duke pulls it out. Really suprised Wiscy ignored Kaminsky in the last possessions of the half.

Unlike Shaquille and his bracket, I feel strong about this prediction.

Too many Mickey D AA's for Wisky to overcome tonight. Not sure do the Badgers have one?

Nope. Coach K sold his soul to the devil by starting to only build one and done teams.

As for the officiating. When Wisconsin went up 9 on Duke, Coach K started working over an official and from that point on all the calls went against Wisconsin. They called 7 fouls in 7 possessions on Wisconsin and got Duke right back in the game. Duke was in the DOUBLE BONUS with 10 minutes left in the second half. Yes, Okafor and Winslow were in foul trouble early but the refs took the game from Wisconsin down the stretch. Tyus Jones rammed his elbow into Koenigs jaw and they called the foul on Koenig. Then Winslow just steamrolled Hayes and no foul called. Winslow stepped out of bounds and no call which led to a basket. He knocked the ball out two times and they gave it to Duke. The refs reviewed the play and literally everyone in the country besides those refs could watch Winslow's fingertip touching the ball and changing its spinning motion. Blatantly clear evidence. A major turning point in Duke's favor. As always, down the stretch the NCAA made sure Duke was able to win.

Nope. Coach K sold his soul to the devil by starting to only build one and done teams.

As for the officiating. When Wisconsin went up 9 on Duke, Coach K started working over an official and from that point on all the calls went against Wisconsin. They called 7 fouls in 7 possessions on Wisconsin and got Duke right back in the game. Duke was in the DOUBLE BONUS with 10 minutes left in the second half. Yes, Okafor and Winslow were in foul trouble early but the refs took the game from Wisconsin down the stretch. Tyus Jones rammed his elbow into Koenigs jaw and they called the foul on Koenig. Then Winslow just steamrolled Hayes and no foul called. Winslow stepped out of bounds and no call which led to a basket. He knocked the ball out two times and they gave it to Duke. The refs reviewed the play and literally everyone in the country besides those refs could watch Winslow's fingertip touching the ball and changing its spinning motion. Blatantly clear evidence. A major turning point in Duke's favor. As always, down the stretch the NCAA made sure Duke was able to win.

Have you ever watched a basketball game? There are calls missed all the time. I should know I ***** and moan about them all the time when it happens against the Bills. Plus the shot clock expired for Wisconsin against UK and they got the points.

The reviews of fouls and out of bounds issues are particularly bad when the foul is obvious or the last touch is obvious. The whole point of the review is to get the call correct. They should do what MLB does and remove it from the venue and let the review be done by an off site official.

It is particularly bad, when on TV the Nation sees the touch by Winslow or in. The Kentucky game the flagrant 1 foul by Lyles and they come back with a Jedi mind trick, " , that is not the video evidence you are looking for "

The reviews of fouls and out of bounds issues are particularly bad when the foul is obvious or the last touch is obvious. The whole point of the review is to get the call correct. They should do what MLB does and remove it from the venue and let the review be done by an off site official.

It is particularly bad when on TV the Nation sees the touch by Winslow or in. The Kentucky game the flagrant 1 foul by Lyles and they come back with a Jedi mind trick, " , that is not the video evidence you are looking for "

I question the loyalty of the guys running the review room!$&$&$&$. Great game to say the least. The tournament was very exciting to watch his year.

This is why I don't watch Final Four games that involve Duke. It's the same old eight on five operation every time. The same old "Duke makes more free throws than the other team attempts." It's not solely a Duke phenomenon -- tbeir narrative has just been going on the longest. It used to happen in the 80s with the Hoosiers, too. And if the NCAA can find another coach to lionize after Coach K retires, the bogus officiating will continue to happen.

This is why I don't watch Final Four games that involve Duke. It's the same old eight on five operation every time. The same old "Duke makes more free throws than the other team attempts." It's not solely a Duke phenomenon -- tbeir narrative has just been going on the longest. It used to happen in the 80s with the Hoosiers, too. And if the NCAA can find another coach to lionize after Coach K retires, the bogus officiating will continue to happen.

Making more free throws than the other team takes has been Wisconsin's MO all year. Got reversed last night

The contact Duke was allowed to get away with on defense is what is wrong with college basketball. They can shorten the shot clock all they want, but the offense won't improve if teams can get away with playing defense like Duke did.

It seems that if you are bitching about the refs, you lost the game. These appeared to be two equal opponents for the most part. I thought Wisconsin's depth and experience would rule the day. I thought Dekker./Kaminsky/Hayes/Dukan would easily wear out Winslow and Okafor and/or put them in foul trouble (it did and in my opinion Winslow had back-to-back offensive charges ignored/called the other way when Okafor picked up his third/fouth foul). I also thougth Koenig/Gasser/Jackson/Showalter were enough to limit Jones/Cook but I never saw Allen coming. But every time Allen drove to his right, he pushed off with his left, which is an offensive fouls as well but led to the refs calling contact and putting the kid on the line. As I said in an other thread, it's what the refs sees in terms of angle and perception.

Bottom line is if you don't want the refs to be a factor, win the game large. Which is almost impossible when teams are this close in terms of talent. I won't say the NCAA got what it wanted because Wisconsin is a squeaky clean program to boot but it does seems things always go Puke's way in games like this.

I guess when Jones an dOkafor declare, couploed with Cook's graduation, they'll just reload. Same with Kentucky. There remains only about 8 to 10 programs in the country who can win/compete for a national titile year-in and year-out ---- Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Michigan State, Kansas, Arizona, and Florida. Maybe UCLA, Ohio State and ... oh yeah, Dayton.

Fouls were 15 on Wisconsin. 13 on Duke. If not for fouling at the end, free throws would have been 16-10 Duke. Let's not act like this was an all-time screw job here.

There was a pretty terrible missed out-of-bounds call when Jones stepped on the baseline and got an assist that put them up by 3.

Then there was the missed out-of-bounds call that they reviewed (!) when the ball last hit Winslow's fingers and they still gave it to Duke.

Those were huge, huge swings.

I'm not sure I've seen any team in any sport get such consistently favorable officiating.

I love the "Allen comes out of nowhere" storyline too. The guy was a top 25 recruit in the entire country. Its not like he is some converted walk on that Coach K discovered walking the halls. It is more annoying than the "Bo Ryan gets a bunch of scrappy white guys and coaches them up" storylines.

The contact Duke was allowed to get away with on defense is what is wrong with college basketball. They can shorten the shot clock all they want, but the offense won't improve if teams can get away with playing defense like Duke did.

-i agree

Second half fouls

Duke-6

Wisconsin-13

This. After Wisconsin took a 9 point lead, Coach K worked up the refs for a solid 5 minutes. The officiating was all in Duke's favor after that. It's not about how many calls went towards Duke or Wisconsin during the game, it was about the critical calls that went Duke's way at the end of the game.

That stat says more to me about how Wisconsin only had 2 fouls called on them in the first half. All parts of the game matter. Did the calls at huge moments go to Duke? Sure, but Duke made the plays. Wisconsin didn't. Wisconsin made the plays. Kentucky didn't. Kentucky made the plays. Notre Dame didn't.

Look I get it. Lots of people don't like Duke because they're always really good and they do seem to get the calls a lot. Part of that is because they're always on TV so it just seems like it happens more, but part of it is probably true. But one time it'd be nice to give a team credit.