Final Four thread

Easy. Just let the kids go straight to the nba. Imo There is a mistaken belief the college game needs the one and dones. Imo this is so much wrong. The one and dones add nothing beyond espn highlights and inbalancing the overall talent. They are not student athletes (love to see class attendance records spring semester of Okafor and towns let alone their actual classes they signed up for).

The nba laughs all the way to the bank for the free development year. Let the nba run their own minor league.

I've said it a million times. The allure of college basketball is more about the team than the players. The popularity of college badketball would not falter. Let those kids go pro immediately. Make freshmen have to truly qualify academically and continue to legitimately go to college and pass real classes. Throw 100% of the police work into the academics. You watch how many pretend "students" leave college.

Meanwhile the competition becomes even greater and the face of the game becomes more palatable with true student athletes.

This

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anything in the apr scoring that punishes programs for one and dones? I seem to recall it doesn't. That could be one way the NCAA could discourage a few programs from depending so heavily on the one and dones. Off the top of my head, maybe you institute a rule where if you have a player leave one and done, then you can't fill that scholarship for another three years. Maybe if they leave after two years, you can't fill that scholarship for one more year. Programs would still take an Okafor because the reward is worth it, but the way Kentucky unabashedly builds a team with multiple one and dones or two and dones would not be sustainable. It wouldn't prevent programs from taking one and dones, but it would at least force them to assess the risk/reward of having several at a time.

Nope, the APR doesn't punish schools when kids leave early and its actually easier to get them through the required classes their freshmen year with reasonable GPAs then it is their sophomore and junior years when there are less "intro to basket weaving" classes available. Kansas has had a perfect APR for about 5 years straight and that says all one needs to know about how that score can be manipulated.

Does Coach K still require all kids on a championship roster MUST graduate BEFORE he hangs a banner or did he change that? I seem to recall Laetner holding up the posting of a banner for some time before he finally got his degree.

The only championship they had won with one and dones before this was the conference tournament with Kyrie Irving. No idea if they felt the need to hang a banner for that one, but I don't remember hearing about them refusing to just because he didn't graduate.

Spoiled brat. You should have been a student in the late '70s/early '80s. The only championship we could even dream of was in hockey. :)

I've been so freakin spoiled. I was born in 91. So:

Alvarez came to UW Football in 90

Favre came to packers in 92

I was too young to remember some of the absolutely terrible Brewers years

I was old enough to appreciate the only actually good Bucks team of the last 2 decades (2001 and I still think they had a legitimate shot to take down the Lakers)

UW Basketball hasn't missed the tourney since I was 8 years old

I arrive at SLU in time for the CBI season as a freshman

Kind of reminds me of a story from a bit ago talking about 9-year-old Yankees fans who had never seen a World Series championship. Poor guys

Does Coach K still require all kids on a championship roster MUST graduate BEFORE he hangs a banner or did he change that? I seem to recall Laetner holding up the posting of a banner for some time before he finally got his degree.

I think it was the seniors from that season. I think that's a dead practice now.

-so the head of officiating basically says in an interview the decision from the review was wrong, the officials did not see all of the available replays, he had the chance to correct it and he didn't, how does any of this make sense?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/ncaa-head-of-officials-on-controversial-play---we-never-saw-what-everybody-saw-at-home-213242341.html

"Grayson Allen was fearless" - something the announcers said 80 times last night. Thanks for the hot take there.

"Coach K would have won all the tourney games by 20...if he had Kentucky's players." Yes, poor Coach K only has 8 McDonalds All-Americans on his roster - literally every active scholarship player. Kentucky, on the other hand, has 9 McDonald's All-Americans! It's really the extra one that makes the difference, right? Oh wait, he was out with a season-ending knee injury.

"'Lil Duke haters" - Sounds like something a stupid kid would say on Twitter. Just saying.

"Duke key players Okafor and Winslow were in foul trouble early" - because they committed fouls. Winslow got away with an obvious charge late in the second half that everyone in the arena saw. Okafor was mad at himself after his fouls - because they were fouls, not bad calls.

Just a lame response all around. Congrats on the win, but don't bring that weak ###### here.

hissy-fit: Noun, singular and plural possible.

An hysterical rant or tantrum, particularly one completely at odds with the gravity of the situation being protested. Often involves stamping of feet, whining, biting, clawing, and loud, obnoxious, screaming tears. One may "have" or "pull" a hissy-fit.

Children under the age of four tend to collapse into hissy-fits when confronted with adversity, but hissy-fits are by no means limited to a certain age group or gender.

-so the head of officiating basically says in an interview the decision from the review was wrong, the officials did not see all of the available replays, he had the chance to correct it and he didn't, how does any of this make sense?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/ncaa-head-of-officials-on-controversial-play---we-never-saw-what-everybody-saw-at-home-213242341.html

Haha. He knew it was wrong but was afraid the right call might impact the outcome of the game? His comments make it sound like even more of a cluster than it did in real time.