Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

8 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

potentially dumb question: Did any of our other coaches hang out at Peach Jam in the past?..... Besides that pathetic attempt of Crews trying to land Tatum last minute? 

Yes.  They were at EYBL games as well as Adidas Guantlet games

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, almaman said:

Trust in Travis.

dumb ? asking here rather than start new thread for it; are Otto and the MU Porter's related?

No, there's no relation.

2 hours ago, almaman said:

FAKE NEWS! :)Washington Post update.

9 hours ago, goonaha said:

Thatch and Hellems 

Tough game for Darius Garland, going 5 for 19.  Great run by BBE but they came up a point short. 

Most of the Billiken targets showed well in this tournament.  VCU and Dayton just offered Jared Rhoden.  Our newest offer, Javon Freeman, led his team in scoring in 3 of the games and was MeanStreets' most consistent player all weekend. 

15 minutes ago, ACE said:
Either way, the point remains the same: Travis Ford is recruiting at a high level, and CarteAre Gordon projects as a future A-10 star.

Here's what he really said:

Replying to

Hmmm. First time in four years? Meh. That story would be MUCH cooler if it was the first time since, say, 1997 that something happened.

Funny story about timing and writing here. So I start working on this last week — when Carte’Are Gordon is ranked 28th in 2018. At that number, best I can tell, he would’ve been the highest-rated HS prospect to sign with an A-10 school in 20 years. Nice story. Then the rankings update and Gordon drops to 38th, perhaps b/c he’s been injured. And the entire hook to the column has to be changed. Either way, the point remains the same: Travis Ford is recruiting at a high level, and Carte’Are Gordon projects as a future A-10 star.

40 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If it's possible for a player to go from 3 star to top 50 based on one weekend, this is one of those times.

I don't see Jericole making that jump this early...so inconsistent.  Did he elevate his game to the next level or just catch lightning in a bottle so to speak?  Will be interesting to see how his senior year unfolds.

4 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Do you know what show or station? I would love to hear that.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it
http://insidestl.com/the-midday-grind-seg-5-cbs-sports-gary-parrish-joins-tmg/2002866

I just listened to this link and after putting up with the first 2/3 of the Parrish interview dealing with Mizzou, the discussion of SLU/TF/CAG was good.  The best part of the link, however, was the discussion, after the Parrish interview, between the radio program hosts about SLU.  One of the guys, who said he was a Jayhawk and that SLU was his second favorite basketball school, knew a lot about the Billikens even listing the 6 new players by name.  I doubt many local sports newscasters could name the 6 new players w/o having the names on a sheet of paper in front of them.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

I just listened to this link and after putting up with the first 2/3 of the Parrish interview dealing with Mizzou, the discussion of SLU/TF/CAG was good.  The best part of the link, however, was the discussion, after the Parrish interview, between the radio program hosts about SLU.  One of the guys, who said he was a Jayhawk and that SLU was his second favorite basketball school, knew a lot about the Billikens even listing the 6 new players by name.  I doubt many local sports newscasters could name the 6 new players w/o having the names on a sheet of paper in front of them.

Thanks for the tip. I skipped most of the Mizzou stuff. I loved hearing how Goodwin and Gordon want to show Stl-area recruits that they can stay home, represent their city and still be successful. I know they've said that before, but I never get tired of hearing it. 

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Hellems offered by Florida. If he has another solid weekend, he's probably jumping into the 65-75 range. 

Florida State, too. That brings him up to 20 offers overall, 14 since the start of the Peach Jam.

7 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I trust Ford and his staff, but I'm shocked SLU hasn't offered him yet.

He's been offered by SLU. The "no offers" thing is he had no "high major" offers.

"Hellems now holds scholarship offers from ArkansasMississippiWake ForestSaint LouisGeorge WashingtonGeorgia TechMissouriWichita StateBoston CollegeMassachusettsKansas State and Illinois."

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1791551-jericole-hellems-has-huge-peach-jam 

18 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

He's been offered by SLU. The "no offers" thing is he had no "high major" offers.

"Hellems now holds scholarship offers from ArkansasMississippiWake ForestSaint LouisGeorge WashingtonGeorgia TechMissouriWichita StateBoston CollegeMassachusettsKansas State and Illinois."

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1791551-jericole-hellems-has-huge-peach-jam 

Oops, I missed that one. Thanks for letting me know.

I don't think it matters as much with SLU (as far as rushing to offer) since it is obvious we have been recruiting him, but does Hellems have an offer from us?

From his Twitter account, I am seeing offers from (from most recent) Pitt, Florida State, Florida, Wake Forest, Mizzou, Wichita State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, VCU, George Washington, Illinois, UMass, Kansas State, Boston College, Georgia Tech, Georgia Southern, Indiana (former coaching staff), Tulsa, Illinois State, IUPUI, and SIU Edwardsville.

Does it really matter? He has an offer from SLU as per the RiseandGrind post. As far as the way he plays, let's just admit he has had a really good streak at the PeachJam, but the way he has been playing there is not consistent with the way he has played before. I would let things take their course with Hellems and Ford. I think we can do just fine with or without Hellems on board.