Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

14 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Hope that Jared Rhoden decides to become a Billiken.  That kid can play, ranking or not.

12 points in a win over Team Melo, with 8 rebounds. 2-5 from 3, 4-4 from the line. I didn't see it but looks like he had a nice all-around game.

Wynston Tabbs appears to have a green light for Team Melo. 3-10 from the perimeter. Still wound up with 20 points.

There are kids with SLU offers all over this event.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We can be very selective with our last scholarship. Any good local options we should be prioritizing? It seems the best options are out of town. From a position standpoint, there don't appear to be many glaring needs on our roster, but I would like to land a sharpshooter at the 2 or 3.

11 minutes ago, ACE said:

We can be very selective with our last scholarship. Any good local options we should be prioritizing? It seems the best options are out of town. From a position standpoint, there don't appear to be many glaring needs on our roster, but I would like to land a sharpshooter at the 2 or 3.

Joe Reece from Vashon is a nice shooter with length. Has a lot to work on still, but he's an intriguing option for that spot. Hellems from Chaminade was looking like a good wing shooter early last HS season but his shot really sputtered down the stretch. He led BBE in scoring yesterday in day 1 of the Peach Jam, so maybe his scoring swagger is returning. Karrington Davis is a pretty consistent shooter. As for local shooters, though, that might be it for this class.

We've offered some good shooters from elsewhere: Jared Rhoden, Wynston Tabbs, Alex Rivera, and several other guys are pretty good from the perimeter.

22 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm pretty happy that we've gotten the top local guy in each of the last 2 classes. Don't really care if the last schollie is a local. 

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I'm pretty happy that we've gotten the top local guy in each of the last 2 classes. Don't really care if the last schollie is a local. 

Agreed. Love getting the top local talent, but don't have much interest in second tier local talent. In addition to landing top local players, this staff has also shown the ability to get quality talent outside the area - that is where our best options appear with this last scholarship. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Joe Reece from Vashon is a nice shooter with length. Has a lot to work on still, but he's an intriguing option for that spot. Hellems from Chaminade was looking like a good wing shooter early last HS season but his shot really sputtered down the stretch. He led BBE in scoring yesterday in day 1 of the Peach Jam, so maybe his scoring swagger is returning. Karrington Davis is a pretty consistent shooter. As for local shooters, though, that might be it for this class.

We've offered some good shooters from elsewhere: Jared Rhoden, Wynston Tabbs, Alex Rivera, and several other guys are pretty good from the perimeter.

Hellems went 1-5 from three yesterday, and I think I heard somewhere that he did a great job attacking the hoop, so I don't know if the scoring outburst was due to a rediscovery of his shooting form, or something else.

Also, just wanted to point out that the Ohio-based team Gordon beat has two Michigan State commits, a Notre Dame commit, and another guy that is moving up the rankings (a '19 recruit who we have offered, according to VC).

Also also, want to point out that I referenced a couple of '19 players in this thread on accident earlier (e.g., Hyatt). Sorry about that.

45 minutes ago, Zink said:

Hellems went 1-5 from three yesterday, and I think I heard somewhere that he did a great job attacking the hoop, so I don't know if the scoring outburst was due to a rediscovery of his shooting form, or something else.

Also, just wanted to point out that the Ohio-based team Gordon beat has two Michigan State commits, a Notre Dame commit, and another guy that is moving up the rankings (a '19 recruit who we have offered, according to VC).

Also also, want to point out that I referenced a couple of '19 players in this thread on accident earlier (e.g., Hyatt). Sorry about that.

5 minutes ago, teamarete said:

So Hellems apparently rediscovered his stroke in the second half this morning. He finished 4-7 from 3, 10-17 overall from the field, 5-6 from the line, and had 29 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals.

Thatch had another solid game. 11 points, 4-10 from the field, 2-3 from deep (including an airball), 1-2 from the line, with 4 rebounds, 4 assists, and 3 steals.

Other 2018 names playing in the event:

Carteare Gordon, Team Penny (duh)

Trey Jemison, Team Penny

Karrington Davis, Bradley Beal Elite (has not played yet)

Kale Catchings, Bradley Beal Elite

Jared Rhoden, NY Lightning

Junub Char Chuol, NY Lightning

Will Richardson, E1T1

Vincent Williams, All Ohio Red

Wynston Tabbs, Team Melo

Jeenathan Williams, City Rocks New York

Isaiah Mucius, PSA Cardinals

Chase Audige, PSA Cardinals

Arashma Parks, PSA Cardinals

Keldon Johnson, Boo Williams

Thatch really seems like a good guy to have around. A total bulldog who does a bit of everything. Also a pretty smart kid, from what I hear. Have to think other recruits will see him as a guy they'd like to play with. 

Hellems seems like a solid option. Plenty of long, lanky guys are late bloomers as they need to grow into their body. I'd love to see him at Chaifetz. 

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

So Hellems apparently rediscovered his stroke in the second half this morning. He finished 4-7 from 3, 10-17 overall from the field, 5-6 from the line, and had 29 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals.

Thatch had another solid game. 11 points, 4-10 from the field, 2-3 from deep (including an airball), 1-2 from the line, with 4 rebounds, 4 assists, and 3 steals.

Other 2018 names playing in the event:

Carteare Gordon, Team Penny (duh)

Trey Jemison, Team Penny

Karrington Davis, Bradley Beal Elite (has not played yet)

Kale Catchings, Bradley Beal Elite

Jared Rhoden, NY Lightning

Junub Char Chuol, NY Lightning

Will Richardson, E1T1

Vincent Williams, All Ohio Red

Wynston Tabbs, Team Melo

Jeenathan Williams, City Rocks New York

Isaiah Mucius, PSA Cardinals

Chase Audige, PSA Cardinals

Arashma Parks, PSA Cardinals

Keldon Johnson, Boo Williams

Appreciate the info, as usual!

37 minutes ago, Zink said:

Thatch really seems like a good guy to have around. A total bulldog who does a bit of everything. Also a pretty smart kid, from what I hear. Have to think other recruits will see him as a guy they'd like to play with. 

Hellems seems like a solid option. Plenty of long, lanky guys are late bloomers as they need to grow into their body. I'd love to see him at Chaifetz. 

I like Thatch as a complimentary player added to this roster, really like what he brings to the table (early on as he could certainly develop into more than a complimentary player). Not sure about all of what you posted about him not knowing anything about him beyond what I have seen on the court.

Not sure anyone would call Hellems a late bloomer or many of those things, have you seen him play over the years?

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

I like Thatch as a complimentary player added to this roster, really like what he brings to the table. Not sure about all of what you posted about him.

Not sure anyone would call Hellems a late bloomer or many of those things, have you seen him play over the years?

Yeah, 'late bloomer' might not have been the right term...maybe 'inconsistent' is more accurate. Just pointing out that it's not unusual for lanky wings to take some time to put it all together. He's always been an intriguing talent because of his size and the flashes of skill, but he seems to not be as good as other guys at consistently hitting his top-level. He may have been on people's radars from day one at Chaminade, but that has been mostly based on potential, not production. It looks like he's shifting more to the latter with these showings against strong competition.

Does that make a touch more sense?

Just now, Zink said:

Yeah, 'late bloomer' might not have been the right term...maybe 'inconsistent' is more accurate. Just pointing out that it's not unusual for lanky wings to take some time to put it all together. He's always been an intriguing talent because of his size and the flashes of skill, but he seems to not be as good as other guys at consistently hitting his top-level. He may have been on people's radars from day one at Chaminade, but that has been mostly based on potential, not production. It looks like he's shifting more to the latter with these showings against strong competition.

Does that make a touch more sense?

Gotcha. I have seen him since his freshman year at Chaminade, still not sure what to make of him, so that certainly all makes sense. He has a lot of skill for his size, but doesn't seem to always demonstrate that.

Hellems is playing really well again tonight. When he is making shots from the perimeter he is a really nice player. I think he may find some new offers soon. Bradley Beal Elite plays really good team basketball. Thatch is having a nice game again tonight as well, not sure what his numbers will look like, but having a nice game.

1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

Hellems is playing really well again tonight. When he is making shots from the perimeter he is a really nice player. I think he may find some new offers soon.

Wow, 19 first half points, is that right? And it's not half-time yet.

3 minutes ago, Zink said:

Wow, 19 first half points, is that right? And it's not half-time yet.

I don't have the stats, but has to have close to that. Kid is playing at a really high level right now. Kind of playing as the 3, looks really good. The announcer said he has to be the MVP of the group. I am thinking he has earned himself a number of offers this week.