NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

need an 83 minimum to crack top 100 but I hope he gets there

i sense you are coming around on Thatch..... as long as ranking services like him, you like him.

We aren't only going to land top 150 kids.  We are going to land kids in that 150-250 range.  If Thatch doesn't finish in the top 150, that is fine.  He still will be one of the top recruits in the A10 and he will help further build the relationship with the Beagles.

47 minutes ago, teamarete said:

Like Thatch, but if I had to choose, I'd prefer Watson.

Exactly. We only really need to recruit around 3 players a year now that crews recruits are almost all gone. No reason we cant recruit like P5 schools and have all our recruits top 150 players

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Strangely enough, the Player of the Year award in the Atlantic 10 five of the last six years was awarded to a player who was not a Top 150 recruit.

A10 isn't even a top 5 basketball conference though. Other than VCU the A10 doesn't get top 100 players regularly until Travis Ford came in. Oddly enough. 

Funny how SLU seldom if ever got a top 150 recruit.  Now Ford comes in and it is the norm.  Always thought it was best to get a recruiting coach in rather than a X's & O's guy, especially at a mid-major school.

Ford impressed me with what he got out of last year's team.....so I think he can coach a bit more than people thought.  

Looking forward with what he can do with a talented roster the next few years.

20 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Funny how SLU seldom if ever got a top 150 recruit.  Now Ford comes in and it is the norm.  Always thought it was best to get a recruiting coach in rather than a X's & O's guy, especially at a mid-major school.

Ford impressed me with what he got out of last year's team.....so I think he can coach a bit more than people thought.  

Looking forward with what he can do with a talented roster the next few years.

absolutely. You can win the A10 with recruiting. We will be top 3 in the conference easily. I am hoping a winning season with a tourney run and a contract extension with Ford can set us up to move conferences. The A 10 is too big and allows us to have a less than stellar conference schedule. We should always be playing Dayton, VCU, and RI home and away every season. 

3 hours ago, teamarete said:

Why?  What have you seen in Watson that Thatch cannot do.  Conversely, what are Thatch's attributes that Watson is weak in?  I haven't seen either, so I don't know.  I don't buy into Highlight Videos, as those are highly edited.  Frankly I think you could learn more from a Lowlight Video.

The coaching staff is very, very pleased to have Thatch coming to SLU.  They will take Watson, and also be very, very happy, but they are good with Thatch being on-board.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Why?  What have you seen in Watson that Thatch cannot do.  Conversely, what are Thatch's attributes that Watson is weak in?  I haven't seen either, so I don't know.  I don't buy into Highlight Videos, as those are highly edited.  Frankly I think you could learn more from a Lowlight Video.

The coaching staff is very, very pleased to have Thatch coming to SLU.  They will take Watson, and also be very, very happy, but they are good with Thatch being on-board.

Watson is a better shooter and ball handler and I love his energy, both on the court and off.  Reminds me personality wise of a young man I used to coach, Buddy Hield.  Thatch gets by with over powering kids at his level.  WIll be tougher to do at the next level and so he might take a bit longer than Watson to get going at the next level.  Hope I'm wrong.  Ideally, Ford gets both.

2 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

A10 isn't even a top 5 basketball conference though. Other than VCU the A10 doesn't get top 100 players regularly until Travis Ford came in. Oddly enough. 

And even on VCU's teams, their best player has regularly been a player outside the top 150.  I want you to think beyond rankings and think about the kind of top 150 players that mid-major conferences usually get.  They're usually the ones who aren't great at any one thing.  The player of the year winners in our conference are often underrated guys who are great at one thing and build their college games around that.

14 hours ago, teamarete said:

Will admit have seen very little of the two, except on recruiting clips, but Thatch strikes me as a player with a college ready body in the mode of French, Goodwin and Gordon.  Watson smoother, better shooter but may gets pushed around by defenders........

On 7/2/2017 at 1:51 AM, WVBilliken said:

Will admit have seen very little of the two, except on recruiting clips, but Thatch strikes me as a player with a college ready body in the mode of French, Goodwin and Gordon.  Watson smoother, better shooter but may gets pushed around by defenders........

Although Watson has "more upside" - my sense is Thatch will have a more productive career.

46 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yesterday, the classes slid over a column on VerbalCommits, making for a nice updated visualization of our scholarship chart.

Fun facts from Glorydays on the switch. Our team average went from 2.75 stars to a 2.89 putting us in 3rd place in average player stars in the A10.

The A10 is a 2.45 average

Jordan goodwin moved up 34 spots to be 44 overall in the 2107 class on VC. 

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Yesterday, the classes slid over a column on VerbalCommits, making for a nice updated visualization of our scholarship chart.

VC shows Bishop as a Junior.  I thought he was given a hardship redshirt year last year which would make him a SOPH this year.  I know there is some confusion on if he received that exemption in that some posters say that the hardship year is not granted until after exhausting the normal 4 years of eligibility.  Also, VC shows Santos as a Junior when I would classify him along with the Jalen Johnson class as a Soph moving up to Junior next year when gaining eligibility.  I think that better reflects our scholarship availability by year.  That is the way I grouped him in my post  a few week back, which I'll bump up to the top as a current posting.

Yeah, Santos is basically frozen in that spot for a year; he's played two years already, so there really isn't a great way to show a redshirt who isn't playing.

Bishop's status might not be widely known yet. They'll update that closer to the season, I'm sure.

44 minutes ago, bauman said:

VC shows Bishop as a Junior.  I thought he was given a hardship redshirt year last year which would make him a SOPH this year.  I know there is some confusion on if he received that exemption in that some posters say that the hardship year is not granted until after exhausting the normal 4 years of eligibility.  Also, VC shows Santos as a Junior when I would classify him along with the Jalen Johnson class as a Soph moving up to Junior next year when gaining eligibility.  I think that better reflects our scholarship availability by year.  That is the way I grouped him in my post  a few week back, which I'll bump up to the top as a current posting.

From what I have noticed with VC is they don't move players back with redshirts but rather give them time as a senior twice. So his senior year and redshirt senior year he will be listed as a senior on VC

2 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Man goodwin and gordon committed like within 2 months of each other. That was an awesome time.

It's funny you say that because I recall Goodwin committing, then there being a 2 month lull and a lot of 2017 guys going elsewhere with the typical billikens.com hand wringing.  Then early in one week we got French and everyone was super excited. About 3 days later Gordon committed. Now that was a great week!

I do not think you can say that, for all you know Gordon had been recruited for many months by the time he committed. The extraordinary thing, purely due to chance, was that his committment was only 3 days after Goodwin. This is a chance event, you can bet money that Gordon was recruited for a lot longer than 3 days. Each recruitment progresses at its own pace, some go faster than others, I doubt that any recruitment takes only 3 days although I could be wrong in this regard.

The Sixers would have needed to win 13 more games last season to make the playoffs. Next season they will add two number one overall picks to their roster, add Redick and have a healthy Embiid who ranked 16th in the league in PER before the Sixers sat him for the remainder of season.

Three of the teams the are trying to catch have lost an All-Star player this off season.  I like the Sixers chances.