Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

New offer:

Madut Akec - SF, 6-7, 190 - Melbourne, Australia (Victory Rock Prep) - Twitter: @Maadut22

Offers: SLU, Arizona State, South Alabama.

Interest: Louisville, Stanford, Tulane, UCF.

Latest News: Akec received an offer from SLU in late July. (7/24/17)

Scouting Report: Akec has been the top scorer and rebounder for his Florida Sons team on the adidas Gauntlet AAU circuit this spring and summer. His length and lateral quickness allow him to defend the 1-4 positions, and he's surprisingly smooth on the offensive end. He handles the ball well for his size, too, so he's a matchup issue at both ends. High ceiling here. His family comes from South Sudan originally but moved to Australia when he was young, and he has spent the past few years in Florida for high school. His older brother is Deng Adel of Louisville.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

That's news to me. I assumed it was either/or. They have very similar size and skills, Hellems is just more aggressive.

I assumed that too. I was very surprised to hear that, so that's why I was wondering if anyone had heard that.

Frank just said on his show that he thinks it's going to come down between SLU and Mizzou for Hellems. He said he likes Martin a lot, but calls Ford "my guy". Frank is pretty sure Hellems wants to stay in the region. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Just now, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank just said on his show that he thinks it's going to come down between SLU and Mizzou for Hellems. He said he likes Martin a lot, but calls Ford "my guy". Frank is pretty sure Hellems wants to stay in the region. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Again, or was this a replay? The 

New offer:

Tyrese Martin - SG, 6-4, 190 - Allentown, PA (Massanutten Military Academy) - Twitter: @Dreambig_04

Offers: SLU, St. Joe's, Rhode Island, La Salle, St. Bonaventure, Minnesota, Utah, San Diego, FIU, UNCW, Hofstra, Robert Morris, Canisius, St. Peter's, Quinnipiac, Wagner, Rider, Central Connecticut State, Norfolk State.

Interest: Texas Tech, Temple, Delaware, Lafayette, Drexel.

Latest News: SLU is the latest to offer Martin. He has played well with We R1 on the Under Armour Association circuit. (7/26/17)

Scouting Report: Martin is an athletic guard with good size. He scores in a variety of ways and can shoot it from deep, although can be streaky. He has nice handles and rebounds the wing very well. He's a good leaper and has some playmaking ability, as well. He graduated from William Allen HS and is taking a prep year at Massanutten.

Based on the recent 2018 offers, it looks like the staff is prioritizing a scoring guard/wing with this last scholarship, and particularly someone who can score on multiple levels. Shouldn't be a surprise based on the roster makeup, but it's good to see that a player with perimeter scoring ability is being valued for this spot.

I know I will be watching. Thatch is one of those recruits who I like way more having watched a few BBE games than his highlight video where I got too caught up on whether he was between positions at the next level. Kid really gets after, great glue guy and can clearly defend guards which is the main thing that made my concern worthless.

4 minutes ago, slusam said:

Thatch is having a huge game. 13 points 9 rebounds so far. Hellems is struggling.

Thatch is bringing a ton of energy, junkyard dog type of player. Hellems is playing more in line with how he looked when many of us questioned whether he was deserving of an offer.

11 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Thatch is bringing a ton of energy, junkyard dog type of player. Hellems is playing more in line with how he looked when many of us questioned whether he was deserving of an offer.

DAMNIT I WAS ALL IN. DO WE WANT HIM ANYMORE????

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

DAMNIT I WAS ALL IN. DO WE WANT HIM ANYMORE????

I hope the 14 teams that offered him in a 48 hour period are having second thoughts ;).  Hellems would be a great fit for the A10.  6'7 inside/outside players, even ones with streaky jump shots, do well in this conference.

I like Thatch quite a bit. Plays big, has a nose for the ball, aggressively hits the offensive glass, does all the little things. I'd really love to see him develop a jump shot. But I guess Jordair Jett made it work with similar size and not much of a jumper. He's not the guy who's going to draw all the attention in these kinds of events, but you look at the stats and it's like "Whoa, 13 and 9?!"

Hellems was definitely not feeling it the way he was at the Peach Jam. Could have a lot to do with a fully healthy Garland on the team, and the offense running through him. Hellems was forcing things when he did get it. Shot wasn't falling. We saw a lot of this down the stretch last HS season, these kinds of games for him. I was really hoping to see him in Peach Jam form because when I have watched him, I've tended to get more of these off nights than big games. He remains an enigma to me.

I like the potential of both Okoro and Liddell - a lot. They're already each nice players but the ceiling for each is very high. They're both springier and more athletic than I'd realized. I'd be thrilled to land either of those guys.

I'm a little intrigued by Shaun Williams and where he'll end up playing. High-level defender. He got off to a slow start but did some really nice things in this game. I think he's got a deceptive kind of athleticism and feel for the game. My guess is he'll go to a smaller program and eventually make larger programs wonder why they didn't offer him.

Jalen Smith (Team Takeover, going to Maryland) is an absolute stud. Rivals has him 26th in the class and ESPN has him 37th, but he looks like a fringe-top 10 kind of player to me.