Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

23 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This should be a warning sign to anyone recruiting these two.  Mack made sure he named them to totally remove Louisville from contention. Louisville is staying away from these two for a reason.  There might be more to drop from the shoe scandal.

Isn't Simons going pro?

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

This should be a warning sign to anyone recruiting these two.  Mack made sure he named them to totally remove Louisville from contention. Louisville is staying away from these two for a reason.  There might be more to drop from the shoe scandal.

Brian, I’m worried that S2 has pushed you into full on conspiracy theorist mode.

Coach314 likes this

31 minutes ago, NH said:

Brian, I’m worried that S2 has pushed you into full on conspiracy theorist mode.

Well Ramey’s dad runs an Adidas AAU program, he committed to the Adidas program at the epicenter of the scandal, he releases a top 10 with that school he formally committed to included and then the new guy cleaning up the mess at that program makes it clear they want nothing to do with him.  

What do you think is up with that?

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Well Ramey’s dad runs an Adidas AAU program, he committed to the Adidas program at the epicenter of the scandal, he releases a top 10 with that school he formally committed to included and then the new guy cleaning up the mess at that program makes it clear they want nothing to do with him.  

What do you think is up with that?

I’m not saying you’re wrong, or right, just giving you a hard time.

Wouldnt shock me in the slightest if RameyJets were involved in some Adidas scandal but we really have no way of knowing.

4 hours ago, NH said:

Wouldnt shock me in the slightest if RameyJets were involved in some Adidas scandal but we really have no way of knowing.

Just because I always have to buy The Catcher in the Rye, I am a conspiracy nut. I get it.

Honestly, Brian, I do not know what to think about Ramey's potential involvement in the Addidas dirt. I really do not care about what he did or what he does or where he goes. He can go wherever he winds up going and I will not miss him. I think his lack of desire to play for SLU has been made very clear many times. That is enough for me. I do wish him luck and a good future.  

5 hours ago, NH said:

You are right we'll likely never officially "know" what happened with Team Ramey and Louisville.

But to me, the most likely scenario is that Adidas found a loop-hole in paying players and basically decided to pay the Team Ramey AAU program an inflated amount of sponsorship dollars, contingent on Courtney attending an Adidas sponsored school. How much money Team Ramey was paid above and beyond what they would have gotten from simple sponsorship is anyone's guess. This is cleaner than simply paying Brian Bowen $100k which is what they have to do when the player's dad doesn't run an AAU program. It's not quite as clean as just hiring dad to the coaching staff, but it still works as long as the FBI isn't listening in.

Once the FBI news came out and Louisville was in hot water, the Ramey's no longer had an obligation to go to an Adidas school. In reality, Adidas may even prefer Courtney not attend an Adidas school just for appearance sake.

Despite the top 10 list, including a bunch of schools that aren't really in the mix anymore, he's going to end up at Mizzou.

11 minutes ago, kshoe said:

You are right we'll likely never officially "know" what happened with Team Ramey and Louisville.

But to me, the most likely scenario is that Adidas found a loop-hole in paying players and basically decided to pay the Team Ramey AAU program an inflated amount of sponsorship dollars, contingent on Courtney attending an Adidas sponsored school. How much money Team Ramey was paid above and beyond what they would have gotten from simple sponsorship is anyone's guess. This is cleaner than simply paying Brian Bowen $100k which is what they have to do when the player's dad doesn't run an AAU program. It's not quite as clean as just hiring dad to the coaching staff, but it still works as long as the FBI isn't listening in.

Once the FBI news came out and Louisville was in hot water, the Ramey's no longer had an obligation to go to an Adidas school. In reality, Adidas may even prefer Courtney not attend an Adidas school just for appearance sake.

Despite the top 10 list, including a bunch of schools that aren't really in the mix anymore, he's going to end up at Mizzou.

Whatever the case — something is going on. I’ve never seen or heard of a coach actively calling out a player - by name - to make it clear the school was not recruiting him. Very weird. 

Also, I don’t dislike Courtney Ramey or his father, but i would stay 1000 miles away from that recruitment 

34 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank just said SLU is recruiting a shooting guard from Iceland whose brother plays at Davidson.

I'm guessing the brother is Jon Axel Gudmundsson.

The brother is Jon Axel or it's Jon Axel's brother, Ingvi I am guessing?  

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Ingvi-Gudmundsson/Iceland/UMF-Grindavik/400940

1 minute ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Possibly. Not sure if the league Ingvi plays in is professional. There’s another brother as well. 

Yea I saw that but couldn't find much on Bragi.  They list Ingvi as draft eligible in 2020 and he's 2 years younger than Jon Axel so figured it was him but don't know about that league either.  

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

The sad thing is the accusations that are constantly made about this kid and his family. I am close to the family as I have stated many times before and here are the facts in the Louisville scenario: Coahc Mack reached out in hopes of recruiting Courtney Ramey apon him getting the Louisville job in which I have seen text messages indicating strong interest. Through a timeline of Courtney putting out a top 10 list because Louisville has always been a dream school and wanting to give the new staff a shot of building a relationship and a convo with Mack in which basically a take it or leave aproach was given by Mack, the family decided to not take it based on not having any relationship with Coach Mack and his staff. Courtney father figures Louisville and Mack needs guards badley and rather have older guards in the form of grad transfers which Coach Mack has since stated. 

There has been no evidence of any recruiting violations etc from this family and their AAU program which featured 2 top 100 players and who earned its Adidas Gautnlet spot last year by winning the Silver division the previous year before. The more ironic news is they walked away from Adidas this year based off all the changes and on goings with the program. Adidas also cut another local program Gateway basketball from the top status and made them a pay to play program on the Silver. Courtney is a great kid and works his butt off on and off the court. Every kid and coach Blossom says he doesnt hangout with the crowd and has never been in any associated drama or trouble. THe dad has run a program for over 20 years that has helped a lot of kids and we are formulating an opinion about him because they didnt want to come to SLU. If he had chose SLU we would be singing both their glory. The kid had his dream school snatched and is taking his time to make sure his next choice is the right choice and i commend him and his family for that. So we need to stop this crazy accusations of them being bad people or in some scam. That family is far from in the need of money and every coach that has and is recruiting him always says the same thing of how stand up and straight forward they are. 

Ford went on a recruiting trip to Iceland shortly after taking the SLU job. I had it narrowed down to a small handful of guys he could've been recruiting at the time but nothing seemed to develop with any of them. He must have some connection there.