Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

So a PG with a .31 shooting percentage for 3's and and a .54 fg percentage is higher rated than someone with a .68 fg percentage? Learn something new I guess. While there are other factors I don't think someone with that low of a 3pt% is ranked top 20. 

I don't see how Gordon is ranked at all with a 0.00 3-pt%. 

10 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

So a PG with a .31 shooting percentage for 3's and and a .54 fg percentage is higher rated than someone with a .68 fg percentage? Learn something new I guess. While there are other factors I don't think someone with that low of a 3pt% is ranked top 20. 

That's because hes the most complete guard at least I've ever seen in HW.  As blossom said, " Ive never seen a rebounder under 6'5 as good as him"

14 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I don't see how Gordon is ranked at all with a 0.00 3-pt%. 

Oh I forgot big men are ranked on their 3pt..... my point was Ramey wasn't that impressive to be ranked so high as the top 20. Gordon being ranked that high makes sense because of his size and potential in the NBA

2 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Oh I forgot big men are ranked on their 3pt..... my point was Ramey wasn't that impressive to be ranked so high as the top 20. Gordon being ranked that high makes sense because of his size and potential in the NBA

So Ramey out here looking like Russell westbrook is just blah, but since Gordon has a big body he should be ranked higher..

7 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Goodwin shot 27%  from three this year.

I wonder if Ramey was coming to SLU what would be said about him on here. Hmmmmm

1 hour ago, runandshoot said:

I wonder if Ramey was coming to SLU what would be said about him on here. Hmmmmm

R and S

Let me just explain.  This is a SLU basketball forum.  Possibly you confuse this forum as others do but this is NOT a local high school basketball forum.  If you are looking for that, then go elsewhere.  As to Ramey, he has never shown any interest in SLU so why should I (a SLU fan) show any interest in him?  I have zero interest in Ramey.  In fact, when SLU did not fawn over Ramey and stroke his Dad's ego by nonetheless wanting the great Ramey here despite there being no mutual interest, I do recall his surrogates coming on this Board to whip up support for Ramey.  Sad.

Glorydays the whole issue here is what rankings really are and how valid they are. You seem to accept rankings as a measure of reality, they are not, they are an attempt to approximate reality by comparing statistics. If the data used in this approximation called a ranking is clean (no errors in the data) and valid (comparison of performance between comparable players playing similar leagues and number of games) then the approximation has a greater chance of being correct. When you compare players that play in different positions and therefore play differently, the validity of the comparison, and therefore the validity of any results or rankings coming out of this comparison, are still approximations but have less of a chance of being correct. When you compare two gifted players like Ramey and Gordon, who do not play the same position and who have not played a similar number of games for the season, the resulting ranking becomes even more of a guess rather than a valid comparison between the players. Are we clear now or not?

7 hours ago, runandshoot said:

Please don't assume that what Glorydays2013 says is representative of SLU fans. In fact most posters on here disagree with him on most things. He's a troll.

36 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Please don't assume that what Glorydays2013 says is representative of SLU fans. In fact most posters on here disagree with him on most things. He's a troll.

Respectfully kshoe I do not think he is a troll just an over passionate fan that is young that does not fully think things out before posting.

I try to be really careful on this board by checking stats, spelling of names etc... before posting anything otherwise you really hear it from the posters.

So having a different opinion makes me a troll... got it. Anyways most people/ fans do not see these kids play. A lot of people base their judgement on recruit rankings to see how good a player is or not and how they will benefit a team. Yes they are not always the most accurate, but they do provide a good metric. That is why I believe it is ok to be mad that our guy, a McDonald's honorable mention, is being ranked around 41 while his teammate is around 20 on some sites. This already is our highest ranked recruiting class coming in next year and that can be and will be used to sell tickets and fans to incoming students and stl area basketball fans. 

Relax Glorydays, as I posted the value of rankings is at best relative, not absolute. I for one do not think you are a troll. As a matter of fact when I started posting on this board (remember the Mexican ice thing?) some people thought I was a troll. Well, I am not I was just a bit exuberant, as you probably are. Just relax, enjoy the ride and do not take numbers as seriously as you appear to be doing.

6 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

All I am trying to say is, no one here would be AS EXCITED for next year if we had a bunch of 2* recruits rather than the 4 and 5* we have now.

But that's not all you were saying. Of course we are more excited with 4 and 5 star recruits over 2 stars. You were making a big deal out of one site having our guy ranked 41 and a guy you feel is inferior (though I'd be shocked to learn you've ever seen them play) ranked higher.

I would still be excited about the transfers suiting up next year, and mildly excited about the lower rank recruits. I don't think you get it. We're fans, we're excited because it's a new year with some new faces. The fact that they happen to be highly ranked is great, but there would have been excitement none the less. 

There's no need to be angry because some peon from ESPN that has probably only seen mix tapes of Ramey and Gordon ranks Ramey higher. It doesn't change my anticipation of Gordon signing his LOI this fall either way. When Gordon signs in the fall, there will be plenty of buzz. 

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

But that's not all you were saying. Of course we are more excited with 4 and 5 star recruits over 2 stars. You were making a big deal out of one site having our guy ranked 41 and a guy you feel is inferior (though I'd be shocked to learn you've ever seen them play) ranked higher.

It goes hand in hand. If we get the best recruit from the state here it sounds significantly better than the 2nd best guy, especially when it is the "2nd best guy on the team". We will follow SLU no matter what, it is those numbers that will bring in the casual fans. 

1 minute ago, Glorydays2013 said:

It goes hand in hand. If we get the best recruit from the state here it sounds significantly better than the 2nd best guy, especially when it is the "2nd best guy on the team". We will follow SLU no matter what, it is those numbers that will bring in the casual fans. 

stop reaching, man.