OT: Live look-in at campus protesters

DoctorB

What concessions did they really make? The agreement was only to advance dialogue and collaboration on those 13 issues. It says nothing about SLU unilaterally funding these items.

Would you rather have had SLU evict the protesters by force or have them still on campus if a no true bill comes from the grand jury in next few days?

Okay-who is paying the salaries and other costs?

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay-who is paying the salaries and other costs?

If you read, does it actually say anywhere on the letter that new positions will be created? It says the administration will discuss the possibilities of new programs/committees, I'm guessing they'll most likely be headed by current employees or faculty

If you read, does it actually say anywhere on the letter that new positions will be created? It says the administration will discuss the possibilities of new programs/committees, I'm guessing they'll most likely be headed by current employees or faculty

13 concessions is an unlucky number of concessions and this thread is closing in on its 13th page which is also an unlucky number of pages in a thread. i for one, am completely terrified.

as long as SLU doesn't end up footing the bill for a large part of those concessions, i'm fine with how they got the protestors off campus. but i can't help but think of the time i wrote a door-to-door crackhead a check for $62 for US News and World Report and Scientific American subscriptions and got gotdamn fuoking People Magazine instead. i'm pretty sure SLU failing the african american community isn't the reason that two black men committing crimes were shot by police officers.

money won't solve this issue any more than it did when we bailed out wall street a few years ago. poor, rich, keepin' on keepin' on, whatever. money doesn't keep people in line, only accountability does. that goes for the criminals AND the officers.

in the end, this is a rebuilding year for billiken basketball, but we're still going to be pretty good, and next year, we're just going to flat out fuoking CRUSH IT.

Increased budget for AA studies, establishment of a community center, development of a center for community and economic development, national conference, diversity speaker series-these all seem to say money needed.

Increased budget for AA studies, establishment of a community center, development of a center for community and economic development, national conference, diversity speaker series-these all seem to say money needed.

agreed. i really hope we're only paying lip service here. though, i'd love for SLU to take an active role in getting somebody else to pay for all this. we don't owe anyone anything. if not for SLU being where it is, midtown would be a gotdamn WAR ZONE and everybody knows it.

I still think it's deeply weird SLU was singled out for the "occupation." I assume it was because they knew they'd be immeditately kicked off campus if they showed up at Wash U (the whitest, richest, most foo-foo college in the country according to that one recent report). But still, it's weird, especially considering UMSL is just a mile or two away from where the protests started.

But still, I'm very proud of how the whole campus and in particular Pestello has handled this. A very welcome change, and further proof that SLU means what it says as far as the social responsibility stuff goes.

We will put you in the we should have turn the hoses on them and let the dogs loose camp.

I still think it's deeply weird SLU was singled out for the "occupation." I assume it was because they knew they'd be immeditately kicked off campus if they showed up at Wash U (the whitest, richest, most foo-foo college in the country according to that one recent report). But still, it's weird, especially considering UMSL is just a mile or two away from where the protests started.

But still, I'm very proud of how the whole campus and in particular Pestello has handled this. A very welcome change, and further proof that SLU means what it says as far as the social responsibility stuff goes.

They showed up at SLU because they walked there from a protest on Vandeventer. Wash U may not have many African Americans but it far from be the whitest school around. The Asian population there is huge. This is a university that had a protest and sit in over Peabody Coal. They would have been welcomed with open arms.

They showed up at SLU because they walked there from a protest on Vandeventer. Wash U may not have many African Americans but it far from be the whitest school around. The Asian population there is huge. This is a university that had a protest and sit in over Peabody Coal. They would have been welcomed with open arms.

ummm, have we forgotten that blacks and asians HATE EACH OTHER!?!? at least that's what i've determined from my experience at A1 WOK on gravois.

my assertion is reinforced by this (as of yet) un-nominated clip from "livin' tha life":

There is no need to question how the protest got into SLU. Bonwich provided a link to a document produced by the protest organizers which clearly states that a SLU student who had joined the protest movement got them to the SLU campus. When you have thousands of students and a fair amount of diversity in campus you must accept the fact that some of these students will be involved in protests and social actions. Wash U apparently did not have any students who joined this protest movement, SLU did.

Yes, I should have said "least black" rather than "whitest." The US News and World Report this year ranked Wash U. dead last in "economic diversity" and "racial diversity." To be blunt, all the top schools have disproportionate percentages of Asian students. Wash U. has basically nothing but whites and Asians, and next to zero students from poor and working class backgrounds. I'm not saying these rankings are infallible, but they do bear out a reputation Wash U. has had for a very long time:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/economic-diversity-among-top-ranked-schools/page+2

As for the protest on Vandeventer, once again, I am not questioning why SLU was made the target of a protest. I'm questioning why it was the ONLY school in the area to be singled out, considering that the original protests started within walking distance of the UMSL campus, and many of the organizers are graduates of Wash U. and St. Louis Community College (all the campuses, but especially Forest Park and Flo Valley).

There is no need to question how the protest got into SLU. Bonwich provided a link to a document produced by the protest organizers which clearly states that a SLU student who had joined the protest movement got them to the SLU campus. When you have thousands of students and a fair amount of diversity in campus you must accept the fact that some of these students will be involved in protests and social actions. Wash U apparently did not have any students who joined this protest movement, SLU did.

Totally false. I know many of the organizers of the protest, and there are far more of them who are graduates of Wash U. (both undergrad and law school) than SLU. My suspicion is that there was a strong "don't crap where you eat" sentiment driving their avoidance of the Wash U. campus along with all the other factors. I asked many of them why SLU was singled out and Wash U. ignored, and I never got much in the way of an answer. The gist was that it never occurred to them to "occupy" Wash U., even though their glass house is particularly transparent when it comes to issues of diversity, inclusiveness, and social justice.

I am familiar with the story of the SLU student with the ID who got them on campus. That's not what I'm questioning. I'm questioning why other schools were given a pass. There are current students with active IDs at any of a dozen different colleges in the St. Louis area and within easy walking distance of other protest sites.

Well hsmith19 you may be absolutely correct in this regard. I was just quoting the document published by the organizers of this protest saying a SLU student got them into SLU. This is what they said. Agree this may not be a total disclosure of their reasons and motives to choose the SLU campus.

They ended up at SLU because it was an much easier walk from the Shaw neighborhood than Wash U or UMSL.

So, based purely on the protestors' proximity to SLU, SLU has to potentially foot the bill for these 13 concessions???

This is one situation where I can say screw the race card, don't let the loudmouth guy win a hand just because he chose to sit down at your poker table. Take his money and send him on his way, and if he gives you any grief about it, kick his ass. SLU never did anything wrong to the black community. And I'll bet you that my black friends who went to SLU (accountant, dentist and lawyer, respectively) would rather their kid receive merit-based or even income-based assistance than a race-based handout from their alma mater. Definitely reeks of extortion to me.

And, yeah, I just watched Tombstone. So I'm definitely more of a mind to throw somebody's ass out on the street than jawjack with them. It's like I'm playing cards with my brother's kids...

So, based purely on the protestors' proximity to SLU, SLU has to potentially foot the bill for these 13 concessions???

This is one situation where I can say screw the race card, don't let the loudmouth guy win a hand just because he chose to sit down at your poker table. Take his money and send him on his way, and if he gives you any grief about it, kick his ass. SLU never did anything wrong to the black community. And I'll bet you that my black friends who went to SLU (accountant, dentist and lawyer, respectively) would rather their kid receive merit-based or even income-based assistance than a race-based handout from their alma mater. Definitely reeks of extortion to me.

And, yeah, I just watched Tombstone. So I'm definitely more of a mind to throw somebody's ass out on the street than jawjack with them. It's like I'm playing cards with my brother's kids...

I'm your Huckleberry

Everyone is talking about concessions. What about the possibility that SLU administration listened to what TribeX wanted to say, and took some of it to heart? The goal of a protest is to affect change, no? A lot of these "concessions" seem like positive ideas.

The point isn't whether 'SLU ever did anything wrong to the black community' or not. SLU wasn't being protested. The state of black people in the St. Louis region and the nation was being protested. SLU just happened to be the stage. And maybe SLU isn't negative towards blacks. But isn't SLU called to be more? If you believe that throughout our region, blacks are treated the same as whites, that most black kids have the same opportunities as most whites, then I guess congratulations to you. The world must look great through your rose-colored glasses. I don't see that, though. This country has come a long way, but we are not "post-racial" as some wish to believe. I hope these last few months lead many of us the reflect on our situations. While the two shootings are or are not "justified," the situation in St. Louis if far from ok.

So SLU is going to take some steps help this city move forward. That's great!

The administration also kept a potentially terrible situation from occurring.

But this is not a situation where we are simply back to neutral, to status-quo. We are now advancing the dialogue, creating a positive out of a potential negative.

Thanks for reading my rant. I have no idea if what i said is coherent, much less thoughtful. I just feel like the board is hung up on the fact that each shooting may or may not have been justified, and the issue of non-SLU students camping out on campus. I do disagree with protesting on private property, but that's over and done with. The administration avoided unnecessary violence by stepping back, and now may be bring about positive change. Sounds like a good thing to me.