OT: Live look-in at campus protesters

DoctorB

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this, but I'm just not confident that these demands would be considered evenly. You start with this Occupy episode. I read a couple weeks ago that the Rainbow Alliance threw a fit because SLU allowed some conservative wing of the Lutheran church (I think maybe Missouri Synod) to host a conference in the BSC. Since this religious group is known for being anti-gay, the Rainbow Alliance presented a list of demands to SLU to compensate for the harm caused by allowing such a close-minded group have a conference on campus, and SLU agreed to all or some of their demands.

Maybe I've become too cynical, but until I see something to prove otherwise, I'll be skeptical that SLU would give this same kind of consideration and treatment if the demands were made by the SLU chapter of the Knights of Columbus, the College Republicans or some greek organization that was concerned with some happenings on campus.

I think that's a legitimate concern on a college campus. I hadn't heard about the Rainbow thing. If similar conservative/religious organizations made similar demands and didn't get the same treatment, then I agree Pestello wouldn't be acting fairly.

Straw man argument? We both know that's lazy.

HSmith, you are better than that.

Didn't you mention something about law school?

It was a joke in response to some folks (in my view) overreacting just a tad and resorting to slippery slope arguments (which is another fallacy they teach you about in logic 101). Some of us managed to get through law school with at least a little of our sense of humor intact.

I think that's a legitimate concern on a college campus. I hadn't heard about the Rainbow thing. If similar conservative/religious organizations made similar demands and didn't get the same treatment, then I agree Pestello wouldn't be acting fairly.

Yeah, but why would he need to act fairly? Serious question.

Maybe I've become too cynical, but until I see something to prove otherwise, I'll be skeptical that SLU would give this same kind of consideration and treatment if the demands were made by the SLU chapter of the Knights of Columbus, the College Republicans or some greek organization that was concerned with some happenings on campus.

Neither of these nor the vast majority of other groups on campus have had any issues whatsoever. In fact, SLU had (still has?) a particularly strong K of C chapter with a lot of seminarians. It was certainly that way when I attended. This group enjoyed a lot of favor with the administration. To think otherwise is sorely misguided.

College Republicans and Democrats have always seemed to exist peacefully there.

The only student organization I can think of that had a rough time with the administration is UNA, which hosted The ****** Monologues on campus for four or five years before Biondi decided to boot them. This will be the tenth straight year they've been forced to hold the production off campus.

I remember a mini-controversy over Biondi siding with the Gay-Straight Alliance's right to exist on campus when Burke tried to shut them down. Right around the same time Biondi defended Majerus when Burke made a big deal out of Majerus attending a Hillary Clinton rally and admitting he was pro-choice in the Post-Dispatch. I thought those were a couple of Biondi's finer moments of showing some balls.

I never rocked law school, but my post was supposed to be in jest as well. Maybe I should have busted out the emojis?

It was a joke in response to some folks (in my view) overreacting just a tad and resorting to slippery slope arguments (which is another fallacy they teach you about in logic 101). Some of us managed to get through law school with at least a little of our sense of humor intact.

Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this, but I'm just not confident that these demands would be considered evenly. You start with this Occupy episode. I read a couple weeks ago that the Rainbow Alliance threw a fit because SLU allowed some conservative wing of the Lutheran church (I think maybe Missouri Synod) to host a conference in the BSC. Since this religious group is known for being anti-gay, the Rainbow Alliance presented a list of demands to SLU to compensate for the harm caused by allowing such a close-minded group have a conference on campus, and SLU agreed to all or some of their demands.

Do you have a link to this?

I've always thought SLU has been way behind other colleges in terms of supporting an environment of total academic freedom, and Biondi was a big reason why. It's important for all voices to be heard in an academic setting (yes, even when it's annoying or inconvenient or not what you want to hear). The only exception is when part of a group's stated mission is in opposition to the rights of any of your student body. So if this anti-gay group wasn't allowed on campus, I'm guessing that's why.

I never rocked law school, but my post was supposed to be in jest as well. Maybe I should have busted out the emojis?

I was going to say, I think it only counts as a straw man if he were to take it a step further and assert that because cats and dogs living together is not a real concern, we don't need to worry about a slippery slope with Pestello. As is, it would be a slippery slope fallacy ;)

Test the hypothesis. Get serious about this billikens.com occupation of the clock tower and demand a statue entitled "NBA potential" as a tribute to Majerus, John Manning, and the MBM who claimed Cassity had NBA potential before he got arrested for making terrorist threats (the MBM, not Cassity). It would honor all of them at the same time.

Geez, you young'uns are lucky. In my (our Taj/B-Roy) day, we had an influential alumnus who was able to block "dirty" movies from being shown in the Saturday night film series. (You young'uns are free to PM me if you wish to know what a "film series" is. ;) )

(Oh, and because Taj and Roy will spend a sleepless night trying to think of his name, it was John O. Shields.)

Do you have a link to this?

I've always thought SLU has been way behind other colleges in terms of supporting an environment of total academic freedom, and Biondi was a big reason why. It's important for all voices to be heard in an academic setting (yes, even when it's annoying or inconvenient or not what you want to hear). The only exception is when part of a group's stated mission is in opposition to the rights of any of your student body. So if this anti-gay group wasn't allowed on campus, I'm guessing that's why.

Don't really have time to find it, but it was by the same writer that wrote today's Occupy statute story at the same site. You could probably find it there.

Also, from my recollection, the church group did have the conference at the BSC. Hence the outcry.

Don't really have time to find it, but it was by the same writer that wrote today's Occupy statute story at the same site. You could probably find it there.

Also, from my recollection, the church group did have the conference at the BSC. Hence the outcry.

Thanks. I'll look for it.

Ah, so in the end, the church group got to appear, which is for the best if they weren't just there to spew hate speech. And they got protested. To me, that's a cornerstone of college - being able to speak out for or against whatever you want. Good to see the spirit of protest alive and well at SLU.

Wow, I thought YOU for some reason spelled ****** with asterisks.

Can I say penis?

ETA apparently so.

That seems less than fair. Just saying.

Maybe I'll protest, and demand a permanent Pitbull statue be erected in front of the global headquarters of billikens.com

That seems less than fair. Just saying.

Maybe I'll protest, and demand a permanent Pitbull statue be erected in front of the global headquarters of billikens.com

Pitbull can replace that bronze shirtless guy that gives me the creeps every time I walk up to Chaifetz.

i had hoped slu would manage to distance itself from this orchestrated, destructive campaign, maybe save some face, but this will be more bad publicity for our school.

the brainless demonstrators got ugly at an rv convention this weekend, cited racism in the rv business (wtf?), great for business in st. louis, isn't it?

the brainless demonstrators got ugly at an rv convention this weekend, cited racism in the rv business (wtf?), great for business in st. louis, isn't it?

Not only did those demonstrators not have anything to do with Occupy SLU, but the people arrested were all middle-aged white baby boomers. Thanks, Eisenhower:

54cd45a6b2337.image.jpg?resize=620%2C420