OT: Live look-in at campus protesters

DoctorB

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure in 20 years there will be framed photos hung in various buildings around campus and this Occupy SLU Movement will be described to potential donors and prospective students and their familes as a tremendous movement that changed the history of the city and it all happened right here at Saint Louis University.

I think Ferguson will indeed be remembered as a landmark event in the region's history, similar to the local stories connected to the civil rights struggles of the '50s and '60s. At least I certainly hope it will not be forgotten and relegated to the dustbins of history in the way past race riots instigated by white people in the region (ie, East St. Louis in 1917, Fairgrounds Park swimming pool in 1949) have been. I can understand not liking the Occupy kids being glorified as the heroes, but it's an important event and it's worth memorializing the fact that SLU was a leader in promoting dialog and understanding during that time. The University mostly acquitted itself well during the crisis, and I don't think it's too bad of an idea to pat itself on the back over that, when plenty of people on all sides of the issue were busy screaming "burn, baby, burn!" and/or "thugs!"

I am sure in 20 years there will be framed photos hung in various buildings around campus and this Occupy SLU Movement will be described to potential donors and prospective students and their familes as a tremendous movement that changed the history of the city and it all happened right here at Saint Louis University.

yes, let's erect a statue honoring anti-police rioters, who threatened, looted, destroyed property & burned down buildings, threw molotov cocktails, rocks, even shot at police...

and invaded our campus, flew our campus U.S. flag upside down, spray painted & defaced our clock tower area, threatened students, extorted our university with threats.

good move.

The best part is they negotiated a statue honoring themselves. Isn't that like buying a trophy at the trophy store and putting it on your mantle?

We need to organize a movement and negotiate a statue honoring Billikens.com and all MBMs occupying its space.

Yeah. I feel like it'd make more sense even if they wanted a statue that honored people who were actually hurt by all of the rioting. Or something depicting racial inequality. I think that would seem more understandable to a lot of people, even those who don't agree with it. This seems pretty self-congratulatory on the part of the protesters.

yes, let's erect a statue honoring anti-police rioters, who threatened, looted, destroyed property & burned down buildings, threw molotov cocktails, rocks, even shot at police...

This is too funny. None of that occurred during Occupy SLU. The worst thing that happened was some dude's granddaughter being forced to watch a black dude rap sexually as she went to class.

Yeah. I feel like it'd make more sense even if they wanted a statue that honored people who were actually hurt by all of the rioting. Or something depicting racial inequality. I think that would seem more understandable to a lot of people, even those who don't agree with it. This seems pretty self-congratulatory on the part of the protesters.

I mostly agree. A monument to equality or understanding would seem a little less self-serving. But I think it comes across as both SLU and the protesters patting themselves on the back for reaching a meeting of the minds. This was one of the 13 points both sides agreed on. Nothing about Pestello's press release was unilaterally from the protesters' side. If anything, it makes me wonder if Biondi contributed that particular nugget.

I'm holding on to some glimmer of hope that the actual sculpture will be of something other than this Occupy movement, such as Martin Luther King or a prominent African-American connected to the SLU community.

I asked a few current SLU students how the week-long protest affected them. In general, they didn't report any physical violence, maybe some fears concerning safety, but they did report that they were accused of being racists while walking to and from class, at which point I think the protestors should have been removed for harassing SLU students. Instead we might be getting a statue of the "Clock Tower Accords". Unvelievable.

The other concern I have is that if Pestello keeps doing this kind of stuff, anyone who wants something from SLU will just stage a protest or act outraged about something, present a list of demands, and there you have it, they'll get what they want. It's looking like if Biondi was the Great Builder, Pestello could be the Great Capitulator.

I'm holding on to some glimmer of hope that the actual sculpture will be of something other than this Occupy movement, such as Martin Luther King or a prominent African-American connected to the SLU community.

I asked a few current SLU students how the week-long protest affected them. In general, they didn't report any physical violence, maybe some fears concerning safety, but they did report that they were accused of being racists while walking to and from class, at which point I think the protestors should have been removed for harassing SLU students. Instead we might be getting a statue of the "Clock Tower Accords". Unvelievable.

The other concern I have is that if Pestello keeps doing this kind of stuff, anyone who wants something from SLU will just stage a protest or act outraged about something, present a list of demands, and there you have it, they'll get what they want. It's looking like if Biondi was the Great Builder, Pestello could be the Great Capitulator.

+1

Though I don't think we need to be concerned about Pestello. I do think he's trying to come off like more of a man-of-the-people as opposed to Biondi's terrible PR image as being aloof. But I think he'll be reasonable enough to not let the slippery slope you're describing happen.

Not sure this would be such a bad thing. If someone (particularly young people) present a list of demands/critiques and the university considers all or some of them well-reasoned and worthy of attention, why shouldn't the university listen? I'd certainly have less of a problem with that than with bulldozing historic buildings for new construction projects that never even break ground.

Some people here are making it sound as if Pestello traded weapons for hostages or negotiated with people setting buildings on fire. That simply didn't happen. And I say that even though I'm still peeved that the protesters targeted SLU.

+1

Though I don't think we need to be concerned about Pestello. I do think he's trying to come off like more of a man-of-the-people as opposed to Biondi's terrible PR image as being aloof. But I think he'll be reasonable enough to not let the slippery slope you're describing happen.

I hope you're right. You could say a lot of things about Biondi that weren't flattering (especially in the last few years), but he wouldn't have gotten run over by the Occupy people like Pestello did.

Not sure this would be such a bad thing. If someone (particularly young people) present a list of demands/critiques and the university considers all or some of them well-reasoned and worthy of attention, why shouldn't the university listen? I'd certainly have less of a problem with that than with bulldozing historic buildings for new construction projects that never even break ground.

Some people here are making it sound as if Pestello traded weapons for hostages or negotiated with people setting buildings on fire. That simply didn't happen. And I say that even though I'm still peeved that the protesters targeted SLU.

Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this, but I'm just not confident that these demands would be considered evenly. You start with this Occupy episode. I read a couple weeks ago that the Rainbow Alliance threw a fit because SLU allowed some conservative wing of the Lutheran church (I think maybe Missouri Synod) to host a conference in the BSC. Since this religious group is known for being anti-gay, the Rainbow Alliance presented a list of demands to SLU to compensate for the harm caused by allowing such a close-minded group have a conference on campus, and SLU agreed to all or some of their demands.

Maybe I've become too cynical, but until I see something to prove otherwise, I'll be skeptical that SLU would give this same kind of consideration and treatment if the demands were made by the SLU chapter of the Knights of Columbus, the College Republicans or some greek organization that was concerned with some happenings on campus.

-so if a future version of the bball team is in similar shape to the current we can organize 5 or 6 of us to stand around the clock tower monument (not the poster) and demand a new coach and a new coach will be granted to our approval? ask every tall or black student that passes if they can play hoops? ask every attractive female if they want to be a SaintSation? play the ESPN theme song and the CBS theme for the tourney on a continuous loop?