Nolan Berry Transferring

HenryB

I said in an earlier post offer Berry a 2015-16 scholarship. He would have to be a preferred walk-on in 2014-15. We need to use the last scholarship for this year for a ready to start player. If Berry isn't interested in this, then let him go elsewhere.

If we sign Berry though, then we don't have any other scholarships left...

Also, we signed two PGs in this class already (Reynolds and Bartley) and Roby, who projects to be more of a wing, played some point in high school! I think between them and McBroom we are pretty set at the PG spot.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

berry is not and will not be a star, and he sure as sh.it isn't and won't be brian gotdamn werewolf dick fuoking conklin. we KNOW ash can shoot the three, defend and rebound. we NEED big experienced guards NOW. we have a glut of weird big guys. we have tanner lancona whom i GUARANTEE will beat nolan berry's dick off. we don't need him, i don't want him. go play for SIU-C or something.

Yes, they would. How many kids have we got in our history that were ranked in the top 30 power forwards by Rivals? The answer is zero.

No he wasn't Ash was rated by Rivals at 126 and Berry was 120. Ash was rated as the 38th best player at his position and Berry was rated as the 26th best at his.

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Achraf-Yacoubou-99764

http://rivals.yahoo.com/Alabama/basketball/recruiting/player-Nolan-Berry-123743

Ok I take that back although they're different year recruits so you can't really compare the overall ranking at all. Both 3 stars according to Rivals which is apparently the most accurate recruiting database in the history of the world. ESPN had Yacoubou ranked higher but I can admit that ESPN is pretty bad.

This will be my last post on the kid. I'm not going to argue with you guys on here. Fact is, he's a St. Louis kid so obviously we're more interested in him. He didn't do at Butler last year. Could he become a really good player? Yes. Could he be a complete bust? Yes.

Berry says he didn't like playing the 5 at Butler. We have Lancona and Agbeko in the fold at the 4. Lancona put up better numbers than Berry and he did it for a top 25 team. Agbeko isn't really a comparable player, but I think everyone here is high on Agbeko.

Everyone who says Berry is better than Jolly, Gillmann, or Welmer. I'd like to see what you base that off of. Recruiting rankings? Just last week all we could talk about was how recruiting rankings don't mean anything.

There are other transfers out there who are better than Berry. They've proven that at the college level. Why don't we wait and see what the transfer landscape looks like before we burn our last scholarship on a guy that didn't see a lot of time for a bad Butler team.

Again, if Berry comes in and sits out next season he will be a sophomore with Jolly, Gillmann, Reynolds, Bartley, and Roby. 6 people in one recruiting class is far too many. Even if you redshirt Gillmann, you have 5 in that class which again is too many. Look at how hard it is this year to replace 5 guys. Do we want to be doing that every 4 years? Like I said yesterday, you want to be a program that reloads and not rebuilds. You reload when you have pretty even numbers of players in each class and you rebuild when you lose 5 guys and have to replace them with 5 inexperienced freshmen.

For the Yacoubou comparison. Is anyone here upset that we have Yacoubou? He comes in next season and fills a huge need. Yacoubou got passed up by players on Villanova that ended up going 27-5 this year and got a 2 seed in the Tourney. Berry didn't really crack the rotation for a bad Butler team this season. Does one year mean everything? No obviously not, but I don't think this board would be shitting themselves if some former top 30 PF from Colorado who is 6'10 200 lbs and averaged 2 ppg for the University of Nevada decided to transfer.

I know people want St. Louis kids here but I prefer to have the best players. Berry could be good but I believe that there are better transfers or players available.

Anyway I'll let everyone argue about this for the next couple weeks. If Berry is still out there 2 months from now and we haven't filled that spot, go ahead and get him. I still wouldn't like it, but it's probably worth a shot. But I think you have to wait it out.

Actually, I think that is working against in how people judge him in this case. If he hadn't spurned us people would be drooling for this kid. People would be talking about how the coach didn't use him right, how high he was rated out of high school, and how he would prosper if he ended up at SLU. You know, sort of like he how we talked about Ash.

I'm not sure about that. I think if he were NOT from St. Louis, people would be confused as to why we had interest in a kid who couldn't get playing time on a subpar Butler team. The comparison to Ash doesn't make sense either - AY was a 4-star recruit and was offered by Kentucky out of HS.

Berry was not that level of recruit. I'm not convinced that Berry is better than Lancona. I have only seen Berry play a few times, so I don't have a strong opinion, but my sense is that he is not the kind of player we should rush to offer. I think the program is at a place where we can take our time and explore our options. IF Berry is interested in us, he should have to wait until our staff gets a handle on what quality recruits are interested in us.

berry is not and will not be a star, and he sure as sh.it isn't and won't be brian gotdamn werewolf dick fuoking conklin. we KNOW ash can shoot the three, defend and rebound. we NEED big experienced guards NOW. we have a glut of weird big guys. we have tanner lancona whom i GUARANTEE will beat nolan berry's dick off. we don't need him, i don't want him. go play for SIU-C or something.

+100

I'm not sure about that. I think if he were NOT from St. Louis, people would be confused as to why we had interest in a kid who couldn't get playing time on a subpar Butler team. The comparison to Ash doesn't make sense either - AY was a 4-star recruit and was offered by Kentucky out of HS.

Berry was not that level of recruit. I'm not convinced that Berry is better than Lancona. I have only seen Berry play a few times, so I don't have a strong opinion, but my sense is that he is not the kind of player we should rush to offer. I think the program is at a place where we can take our time and explore our options. IF Berry is interested in us, he should have to wait until our staff gets a handle on what quality recruits are interested in us.

I actually agree with this and stated this earlier in the thread.

The fact that he rode the bench for a terrible Butler team in rebuilding mode is definitely a bad sign, and I understand the "no local players just for their own sake" attitude. But it would still be cool to have the grandson of the best player in program history on the roster, even if he never becomes anything more than a complementary type bench player.

Well, I guess we will see if he can rebound. That seems to be his Achilles heel. 179 minutes and 29 rebounds to Berry who had 23 in 90 minutes. I like Lacona too, but the kid is going to be a Rob Loe, not an under the basket banger. Why waste his shooting ability by sticking him on the blocks?

Safe to this say we can lock this in as fact after 179 FR minutes.

Clearly Berry wants to come to SLU if his family says he is interested. The question now is whether the staff is interested in Berry...

I expect the coaches to examine all of their options this spring before signing anyone. It probably won't be until around late next month or early May before we get someone else locked up.

The fact that he rode the bench for a terrible Butler team in rebuilding mode is definitely a bad sign, and I understand the "no local players just for their own sake" attitude. But it would still be cool to have the grandson of the best player in program history on the roster, even if he never becomes anything more than a complementary type bench player.

no interest in doing what's cool any more.

no interest in voting luke meyer the favorite billiken every game only because he's from six flags over mid america and he only fuoks the blue hairs' granddaughters missionary style after he's done his homework.

no interest in coddling some potato-faced stiff just because he's from an esteemed line of dribbling dick dribble.

no interest in recruiting transfers that can't get off the bench for teams much shittier than us.

no interest in anyone that can't dunk/rebound their ti.ts off, shoot the 3, or defend anyone on the perimeter, knock your fuokin teeth out and pass all over your ass. lose the skates, dorothy hamill. i'll assess all i want, pal.

no interest.

interested in...

MOAR AFFFRRRIIIKKKKAAAANNNZZZZZZZ

NOTE: MODS - i need you to take ti.ts off the filter. i like to say ti.ts a lot. thanks.

As everyone knows I am a pretty big Nolan Berry fan. I saw him play a lot in high school and AAU ball and have seen him play very well against top competition. I think he has a better offensive skill set than any big we have on our roster. His limited minutes at Butler do not scare me. They had an experienced frontcourt that returned from a tournament team, not to mention Berry is very thin physically. But fortunately for y'all it is not my decision to make.

I hope the coaching staff TAKES A LOOK at him. He is 6'10" with skills and was a higher rated recruit than any player we currently have on the roster. Those saying he was not the same caliber prospect as Ash are simply wrong.

If the staff thinks we can upgrade our roster in a better way than Nolan, they should pursue that. But if we are not sure how to use the scholarship, this would seem to be a welcome opportunity falling into our hands.

As everyone knows I am a pretty big Nolan Berry fan. I saw him play a lot in high school and AAU ball and have seen him play very well against top competition. I think he has a better offensive skill set than any big we have on our roster. His limited minutes at Butler do not scare me. They had an experienced frontcourt that returned from a tournament team, not to mention Berry is very thin physically. But fortunately for y'all it is not my decision to make.

I hope the coaching staff TAKES A LOOK at him. He is 6'10" with skills and was a higher rated recruit than any player we currently have on the roster. Those saying he was not the same caliber prospect as Ash are simply wrong.

If the staff thinks we can upgrade our roster in a better way than Nolan, they should pursue that. But if we are not sure how to use the scholarship, this would seem to be a welcome opportunity falling into our hands.

Is Berry a solid 3 point shooter?

We could have used Beidscheid more than NB, but case closed unless Mizzery fires Haith. C'mon, Mizzery, do the right thing and can the cheater. And I wasn't high on taking CB, but we do need a shooter.

Why in the world would you want SPUMAC to get rid of Haith? Personally I think he is the perfect coach for them and I hope he is there for a while.

Why in the world would you want SPUMAC to get rid of Haith? Personally I think he is the perfect coach for them and I hope he is there for a while.

Haith for life. He's one of SLU's best friends in the whole media coverage game.

The media doesn't like following NITs.