Mike Crawford stepping up

Hitting those threes was clutch, and his defense looked solid. He is going to be a stud for us in the future.

On another note, rob loe looked sick or something tonight. Mike McCall just needs to find his shot again.

In the end, our defense won this game for us. Even on a sub par offensive night we can still pull off a win against the stingy bonnies (who also almost beat U Mass).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lil' Mike is from my hometown. I have been watching him play ball for years, trust me when I tell you that you will end up loving this kid.

Super hard worker, very ball smart and has a uncanny ability to get to the hole. He is probably the best offensive rebounder that I have ever seen.

Let me tell you folks, there are a bunch of new Billikens in central Indiana.

Lil' Mike is from my hometown. I have been watching him play ball for years, trust me when I tell you that you will end up loving this kid.

Super hard worker, very ball smart and has a uncanny ability to get to the hole. He is probably the best offensive rebounder that I have ever seen.

Let me tell you folks, there are a bunch of new Billikens in central Indiana.

WE ARE ALL BILLIKENS!!!

Welcome to the community :)

Crawford looked good. Both he and Barnett hit 3s and the rotation works much better with those two splitting time.

Crawford was hitting the boards aggressively and playing solid D. He was lost a little against the zone. Part of the reason McCall and Rob kept throwing the ball away was because Crawford kept standing the corner, cut off from getting a pass. He's gotta move, we were playing 4 on 5 out there.

The crossover by Reggie was sick. No PF in the nation can guard that move.

Crawford looked good. Both he and Barnett hit 3s and the rotation works much better with those two splitting time.

Crawford was hitting the boards aggressively and playing solid D. He was lost a little against the zone. Part of the reason McCall and Rob kept throwing the ball away was because Crawford kept standing the corner, cut off from getting a pass. He's gotta move, we were playing 4 on 5 out there.

I agree - the 25 minutes JB had been getting is best split between him and MC. I wonder what is going on with TL - he has not played for some time.

Crawford looks and plays just like a hard nosed Hoosier gym-rat should. I am thrilled he is emerging, and actually his 3's were some of the most important daggers of the night. it may turn out that Crawford becomes one of our top scorers next year, along with AM and one or more of the newbies. I think if he keeps improving and can get 25 or more MPG, he might be able to average double digits or more! (next year, of course, not this year ...)

JPur, please send us a couple more of those kind of players.

Reggie is definitely raw but he has skills and his upside is -- well, let's just say, pretty spectacular. He will get better at playing within his game, with more control, and learning to pace his moves; he is so explosive out there he almost does not even realize how quick and strong he is.

As for crossovers: there was another one put on by Austin last night, through the legs, back over and then up and swish. go back and look at that one. Wow! let's remember that as far as our program is concerned, and this kind of competition, Austin is a freshman too. Austin just explodes off the floor, and shoots off the dribble very well. I'm very happy to have 2 more years of him... future looks bright with those 3 as a core, with JM and GG and freshmen...

Crawford looks and plays just like a hard nosed Hoosier gym-rat should. I am thrilled he is emerging, and actually his 3's were some of the most important daggers of the night. it may turn out that Crawford becomes one of our top scorers next year, along with AM and one or more of the newbies. I think if he keeps improving and can get 25 or more MPG, he might be able to average double digits or more!

JPur, please send us a couple more of those kind of players.

Reggie is definitely raw but he has skills and his upside is -- well, let's just say, pretty spectacular. He will get better at playing within his game, with more control, and learning to pace his moves; he is so explosive out there he almost does not even realize how quick and strong he is.

As for crossovers: there was another one put on by Austin last night, through the legs, back over and then up and swish. go back and look at that one. Wow! let's remember that as far as our program is concerned, and this kind of competition, Austin is a freshman too. Austin just explodes off the floor, and shoots off the dribble very well. I'm very happy to have 2 more years of him... future looks bright with those 3 as a core, with JM and GG and freshmen...

and then to hear our anouncers say after he makes the drive into the lane that he banked in the second half ... something to the effect of "It's surprising to see him make that play as he's known as a stand still shooter"

Some of our passes under pressure are just soft and lazy. Agree that MC needs to rotate up and become more available, but we have to pass the ball with more oomph. Imo lazy and slow passing is a big reason why we have trouble against the zone.

crawford's stroke is SMOOOOOOOOTH. kid is just a gamer. you just KNEW those shots were going in. nasty dish from mcbroom on the first one, too.

good to see barnett flourishing in decreased minutes as well. i think he really is a pure shooter, but was just never asked to play defense at toledo. no legs, no shot. all i know is that he's played less and hit four threes in a row. i'm sure everyone's happy about that. i think those two splitting time is the perfect recipe for this year and the future.

HATE.

Agree with everyone on Crawford and Barnett splitting minutes equally. Jake has looked a lot better in limited minutes. 30 minutes combined out of those 2 can give us a consistent outside shooting threat.

Also agree that Crawford and Barnett's defense is the same. I think maybe Barnett looks better in practice because he's been playing with these guys for 4 years and he knows the offense better than Crawford so he knows exactly what's coming.

Would like to see RA get some more time, especially since GG is just not looking good out there. JC said in his interview that dueto injuries both RA and TL fell behind. So, maybe as they heal up, especially TL, we'll see some more of him as well.

After that second NBA-range three, it was really cool seeing him get jacked up and chest bumping Dwayne. One of my favorite moments from the game.

One of my few questions re: Crews' coaching last night, why did we take MC out right after that 2nd made 3 pointer? The kid was hot and playing good ball.

One of my few questions re: Crews' coaching last night, why did we take MC out right after that 2nd made 3 pointer? The kid was hot and playing good ball.

Agreed. Someone else made the comment, but he doesn't present a glaring hole on defense. Leave the hot hand in.

Agreed. Someone else made the comment, but he doesn't present a glaring hole on defense. Leave the hot hand in.

Actually, Jake was at the scorer's table long before he hit that shot to go in for Mike in a normal rotation move. Then Mike hit the shot and the place went crazy and Jake checked in with the scorer and then all went back to the bench for the time out. Coach decided to sent Mike back out but the scorer's table told the refs that Jake had checked in as a sub for Mike so the ref made Jake come into the game. The coach actually intended to keep him in but this series of events prevented it from happening.

Actually, Jake was at the scorer's table long before he hit that shot to go in for Mike in a normal rotation move. Then Mike hit the shot and the place went crazy and Jake checked in with the scorer and then all went back to the bench for the time out. Coach decided to sent Mike back out but the scorer's table told the refs that Jake had checked in as a sub for Mike so the ref made Jake come into the game. The coach actually intended to keep him in but this series of events prevented it from happening.

Thank you, appreciate the clarification.