VCU at GW

stlhoops

The announcers at the game were really talking up the A10. One suggested it is a 6 bid league. I am beginning to think that the A10 is looking better long-term than the Big East.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VCU, Shaka, and the Gimmick are all quickly losing their flare. Spike lee should consider a new bandwagon to jump on

I do think it's hard to sustain success with a pressing style. Mike Anderson (Nolan R's) 40 minutes of hell aren't nearly as tough to play today. Coaches adjust,players adjust.

Nor would I. The A10 is a very good league, albeit geographically challenging for SLU.

But the potential Big East TV revenue stream is exponentially bigger than what the A10 TV contract can yield.

The endgame is pretty simple. Keep winning here, and if the Big East calls..take it to another level.

It would have been better for us if VCU won the game.

I have been wrestling with this for a while...while, technically, it is better for us if VCU, UMass, and LaSalle do well, I can't bring myself to root for VCU or UMass. There is a tradeoff between these games being 'quality wins' versus us having a better opportunity to win the A-10 regular season. It all comes down to: would you rather have the VCU/UMass games be elite win opportunities or would you rather win the A-10 title with a 'weaker' schedule.

Like many of you, I too have a hard time rooting for VCU. Shaka-this. Shaka-that. Spike Lee. While their athleticism is out of this world, their basketball skills and basketball IQ seem weak. They always want to overwhelm you. And because their skills are so poor, they MUST create turnovers so they can make layups. Or at least have a chance at easier shots and more of them. Reddic and Shannon usually use this helter skelterism to roam freely and crash the boards. Did I hear it right that Reddic shoots "41% from the line" last night. Forty-one percent???? Horrid.

I saw GeeDub back early and commented that Creek was a nice addition. I did not know that Garino was out hurt and ended up missing the first seven or eight gamnes with a finger issue. His return solidifes them even more, relegating Kopriva and Mikic to lesser roles. Garino was tough as the 6'7" tip of GeeDub's 1-3-1 zone late in yesterday's game. He was the star of the game with 25 points, seven rebounds and three steals. Plus, his physical height at the top of the key bothered VCU's shooting gnats. Kevin Larsen carried GeeDub in the first half and finished with 22.

The Smith Center was a sellout last night. That was GeeDub's first-ever win over VCU (if the announcers were right) and the kids rushed the floor (that was pitiful -- one at a time being let through the ropes by ushers). And I am truly glad they play us at Chaifetz this year. Larsen ate us up last year. Armwood is a defensive monster. Creek is a nice, post-grad addition (altho he sucked last night). I stil think McDonald and Savage are weak guards but Garino adds a nice, heady, international presence.

GeeDub almost succumbed to the pressure late but righted their ship and pulled away. You expend alot of energy trying to catch up as VCU did all second half. GeeDub threw it over their zone press with relative ease.

I have been wrestling with this for a while...while, technically, it is better for us if VCU, UMass, and LaSalle do well, I can't bring myself to root for VCU or UMass. There is a tradeoff between these games being 'quality wins' versus us having a better opportunity to win the A-10 regular season. It all comes down to: would you rather have the VCU/UMass games be elite win opportunities or would you rather win the A-10 title with a 'weaker' schedule.

It would have been better for VCU to win because we play them twice.

It would have been better for VCU to win because we play them twice.

Yes...but the point is I hate VCU...and them (and other title contenders) losing extra games gives us a better opportunity to win the conference.

Taj, the stats for last night's VCU / GW game show Reddic had 9 FG attempts (made 3, 33.33%), and 5 FT attempts (made 3, 60%). Overall (combining FG and FT attempts) he shot 14 times 5 of which were FT attempts or 37.41% of all attempts were from the line.

I do think it's hard to sustain success with a pressing style. Mike Anderson (Nolan R's) 40 minutes of hell aren't nearly as tough to play today. Coaches adjust,players adjust.

UCLA and GEORGETOWN in their heyday pressed the whole game with very good results. It's not VCU's press that hurts them. It's their lack of defense after the press is broken that is their problem.

@ old guy ..... thanks. But your numbers are for last night's game. I believe the announcers were using stats on his overall seasonal FT shooting %. A check of the VCU home page today shows he is shooting 46.4% from the line on 32-of-69 shooting. I believe that includes last night's numbers. So before he was 29-of-64 for 45.3% by my calculations. Still ..... 41%/45%/46% ... they all suck. Reddic's FG% is actually 10 points higher at 56%. I guess he makes dunks.

Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, Xavier, Butler. That alone is why the BE is better 'for us'. But since we're not there yet the A10 ain't too shabby.

Exactly (sans Butler) and we may never be "there" in which case the A10 is fine with me.

I have heard rumblings that it's a done deal. They wanted us to be one of the originals. We just wanted to wait to get out of paying the $2 million exit fee (or whatever it is). Could be total B.S. too. We'll just have to wait and see.

I have heard rumblings that it's a done deal. They wanted us to be one of the originals. We just wanted to wait to get out of paying the $2 million exit fee (or whatever it is). Could be total B.S. too. We'll just have to wait and see.

FIFTY50FTY???