Top 25?

moytoy12

Dirty, are you responding to whole topic or to me? Figured the whole topic or maybe SShoe. I'm just sayin' . Right SShoe and KShoe?

Responding to your awesome response. The multiquote didn't work too well.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a hater like most of you but I do have a slight concern that only 4 of our wins are over teams above .500. The rest have losing records. That is partially the nature of the non-conference schedule. Hopefully those blood donor teams will go on to do well within their conferences.

true but we do seem to play better when we actually have to against better competition

I didnt think the Bills were playing at a top 25 level, but I am starting to come around. Watching what they do defensively to teams and getting 30-40 points from Jett and Evans, really is a great formula going forward. What happened to McCall lately?

AM has picked up McCall's scoring load. That said, we need MM's scoring as well.

Don't discount BCS bias.

After the win against Rhode Island, Earl Austin Jr stated that often the pollsters don't see beyond one team in the A10 being ranked. UMass coming from behind by 13 to win will still keep them in the front of the pollsters minds.

If we don't make it into the top 25 (AP) we will be so close that 2 more wins even against weak teams will put us in. Whether we make it this Monday may be dependent on what happens the rest of today and tomorrow. You never know with the voters.

As for my rankings...normally, a win like this would put us over the top but that win over RI damaged our numbers, so it will be close. I will run the numbers tomorrow (I don't have to wait till Mon like the polls) and if we make it I will post a Top 25 list. If you don't see a list that means we came up short.

Im sorry, only 2 signature wins (In State, Dayton) only 2 other wins against teams with winning records does not make us KY, NC, OhSt or even....choke, choke....SPUMAC. Winning over the bunnies and the rams won't elevate us in the eyes of the pollsters. Beating VCU/UMass etc will be necessary, I believe.

mhg

Have you SEEN Missouri play?!?! That are not a well coached team at all.

Let's remember all the cupcakes those teams have on their schedule. Since those teams will never play SLU home and home we'll never know just how good they or we are.

That was the basic point of the Dayton post. Put this exact schedule and results up with a "name" team instead of us, and they are easily ranked.

It would be nice to crack the top 25 on Monday to boost local interest (read: attendance) for these next 2 home games, but we'll probably end up 26-27, but (assuming we take care of business) we should get in at some point later this month (as teams above us lose) as we don't have a truly difficult matchup until the Philly trip the first week of February.

Let's remember all the cupcakes those teams have on their schedule. Since those teams will never play SLU home and home we'll never know just how good they or we are.

Who are those teams?

I assume you mean KY, NC, OhSt - Not sure if this is meant to be a sarcastic post...but I'm reading it as not sarcastic.

You're probably too young or too old to remember, but North Carolina did play SLU home and home way back in 2005 and 2006 during the Tyler Hansbrough era...but hey, let's not let the facts get in the way of the overall point...

SLU played Wichita St at home and lost by 5. They lost to Wisconsin by 6 in Mexico. They beat Indiana St at home by 17 and won at Vanderbilt by 8. 10 of SLU's non-conference opponents are currently outside the KenPom top 150 (and that doesn't include Rockhurst). Let's be real: SLU gorged itself on cupcakes this year and lost their only 2 real tests in the non-conference schedule.

Kentucky played Michigan St on a neutral court and lost by 4. They went to Chapel Hill and lost by 5. They beat reigning NCAA champions Louisville at Rupp. They lost to Baylor by 5 in Arlington TX. They played 5 teams currently outside the KenPom top 150 in their non-conference schedule.

North Carolina beat reigning NCAA champions Louisville on a neutral court, beat Michigan St in East Lansing by 14, beat Kentucky in Chapel Hill, and lost a bunch of games to non elite teams. They played 6 teams currently outside the KenPom top 150 in their non-conference schedule.

Ohio St's schedule was not as tough, in part due to the fact that their toughest opponents Marquette, Maryland and Notre Dame have all underperformed. They did go undefeated through the non-conference and holding Marquette to 35 on their home floor (even in a down year) is more impressive than anything SLU did in the non-conference. They played 5 teams currently outside the KenPom top 150 in their non-conference schedule.

So yeah...don't kid yourselves...SLU is exactly where they should be based on the games they've won. It's true that it's tough for SLU to schedule home and home vs quality opponents, but SLU whiffed on their one big chance (Wichita St) and that's why they're still currently unranked. More to the point, Billikens fans are in no position to criticize any other program for stacking the non-conference schedule with cupcakes.

The nice thing about the nonconference, in my opinion, is that we only had two games against 300+ opponents, one of which was a road game. We also only had two games in the 250-299 range, one of which was on the road. Those are the first things we need to get rid of as we move to a better schedule. Get rid of RPI killers, and then just win and we'll get attention and more big name games.

As to the name-recognition problem, I believe that a big name program with no bad losses, that is 6-0 on the road, and who's only losses were close contests to top 10 teams, would be ranked without a doubt. Not a complaint, just throwing it out there.

The good news is that the A10 has no terrible teams this year. Duquesne is the worst and they're in the top 200 of Kenpom. We should have lots of top 50 and top 100 wins available

Im sorry, only 2 signature wins (In State, Dayton) only 2 other wins against teams with winning records does not make us KY, NC, OhSt or even....choke, choke....SPUMAC. Winning over the bunnies and the rams won't elevate us in the eyes of the pollsters. Beating VCU/UMass etc will be necessary, I believe.

mhg

I don't get the idea that we are behind UMC at this point at all...which two losses would you rather have at this point, Illinois/Georgia or WIsconsin/Wichita? Yeah, UCLA was ranked when they beat them, but at this point that win doesn't look all that much better than our win over Indiana St.

I don't get the idea that we are behind UMC at this point at all...which two losses would you rather have at this point, Illinois/Georgia or WIsconsin/Wichita? Yeah, UCLA was ranked when they beat them, but at this point that win doesn't look all that much better than our win over Indiana St.

Illinois was a bad loss, Georgia was an abomination.

UCLA is nothing special either.

We'll see on Monday.

Here's the coaches top 30 and what they've done so far this week:

21 Mizzou: Lost to Georgia. Playing at Auburn Sat

22 Memphis: Won at Louisville. Playing at Temple Sat.

23 Creighton: Won at Depaul. Host Xavier on Sun.

24 Iowa: Won vs. Northwestern. Playing at Ohio St. on Sunday

25 UCLA: Lost vs. Arizona. Play ASU on Sunday

26 Pitt: Beat Maryland and Wake Forest at home

27 North Carolina: Lost to Miami and Syracuse

28 UConn: Beat Harvard. Host Central Florida today

29 SLU: Won at RI and Dayton

30 Oklahoma: Lost to Kansas at home. Beat Iowa St. at home.

31 Southern Miss: Won at North Texas. Play at Tulsa on Sunday

32 Illinois: Lost at Wisconsin. At Northwestern on Sunday.

If logic prevails, we should jump Mizzou, UCLA, UNC, Iowa (if they lose to OSU) and UConn (our wins are more impressive). that should put us at 24 or 25. We'll see.

In the AP, I expect Mizzou, Illinois, Gonzaga, K-State (if they lose to KU), and Iowa (if they lose to OSU) to drop out. Cinci, Creighton and maybe Pitt will work their way in there. Again, we should have a good shot at 24 or 25.

Revisiting your list:

21 Mizzou: Lost to Georgia. Won at Auburn by 2.

22 Memphis: Won at Louisville. Won at Temple.

23 Creighton: Won at Depaul. Won vs. Xavier.

24 Iowa: Won vs. Northwestern. Won at Ohio State.

25 UCLA: Lost vs. Arizona. Play ASU late Sunday.

26 Pitt: Beat Maryland and Wake Forest at home

27 North Carolina: Lost to Miami and Syracuse

28 UConn: Beat Harvard and UCF.

29 SLU: Won at RI and Dayton.

30 Oklahoma: Lost to Kansas at home. Beat Iowa State at home.

31 Southern Miss: Won at North Texas. Lost at Tulsa.

32 Illinois: Lost at Wisconsin. At Northwestern on Sunday night.

33 Cincinnati: Won at Houston. Won vs. Rutgers.

34 George Washington: Lost at LaSalle. Won vs. Rhode Island.

Other top 25 losses of note: Colorado (16) to Washington, Duke (13) to Clemson, Kansas State (25) to Kansas (18), Oregon (17) to Stanford.

It will be close for us, but my feeling is we'll be a little short. I think we'll leap Mizzou, UNC, and maybe UCLA if they lose to ASU. So 26th might be it, shouldn't be lower than 27th.