Top 25?

moytoy12

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts:

-SLU has losses to the #3 and #5 teams, two of only four remaining teams with perfect records.

-We were bunched up with Creighton and Cincinnati, and voters clearly respected their wins more than ours. I think we'd beat Cincinnati but Creighton is a tough matcup for anyone. I'd be very interested to see their perimeter scoring against our perimeter defense.

-Duke clearly has to lose a lot to drop out.

-Colorado and Pitt both suffered big injuries this weekend. Durand Johnson, Pitt's fourth-leading scorer, tore his ACL. Colorado's star, Spencer Dinwiddie, also injured his knee but the severity is not yet known.

-Two close calls for UMass and they moved up three spots. We don't play them until the season closer, March 8th, so all we can do in the meantime is win our games.

-That's an interesting AAC cluster, with Memphis, Louisville, and Cincinnati in consecutive spots.

-There's a lot of parity from 10 on down. Just keep winning - and we sure have a good opportunity to do so in the next three weeks - and we could climb.

I'm not a Duke fan, but don't you dare say anything bad about them or I will cut you.

Great news we cracked the AP Top 25!

Our success the last few seasons have brought us national PR, we are finally recognized and discussed seriously by the big boys in the media.

Duke isn't up to their usual standards this year... will struggle to get to The Sweet 16, maybe will get knocked out second game or even first game depending on the seeding, etc.

Nice neighborhood, Duke, SLU, OU, UCLA. Great to see. Congrats to JC and the team on giving us long suffering Bills fans a great 3 years. And a prayer of thanks to RM for getting the ball rolling.

And also a prayer and a thank you to Frank Cusumano for single handedly bringing the great Rick Majerus to Saint Louis.

Great news we cracked the AP Top 25!

Our success the last few seasons have brought us national PR, we are finally recognized and discussed seriously by the big boys in the media.

Duke isn't up to their usual standards this year... will struggle to get to The Sweet 16, maybe will get knocked out second game or even first game depending on the seeding, etc.

Yes, great news. Consistently making the tournament over the last few years, being ranked as high as 13 last season, being in the top 25 again this season, can only help with recruiting. Great news.

The AP is nice but the ESPN Coaches Poll is nicer since it puts your score on the top 25 ticker that runs at the bottom of the network shows almost continously. We no longer need to wait for the occassional mention of our score appearing when they decide to go beyond the top 25. Our name and score will be getting a lot more pub.

Edit, I thought the coaches poll is what ESPN runs on their top 25 ticker and that we are 24th on the one ESPN uses. If they use the USA poll then I stand corrected.

I'm sure Shaka ranked VCU but not us. We'll be fine there

No benefit to Shaka not to rank us. It only benefits him to actually rank us.

Smart has never come across to me as a petty guy who wouldn't rank a team because his program lost to them in the past.

The range on the Coaches Poll is interesting...various coaches had Gonzaga at 10, Duke at 4, Kansas at 2, and Kentucky at 1. Talk about an agenda...

I think you are mis-reading that column. That is the highest ranking and lowest ranking they have had this year, not the votes from this past week.

When you stack up our resume against Louisville, I think we look equally as good if not better. Yet, Louisville is #18 and #14 in the AP and USA Today polls, respectively. I suppose a national championship buys you a little leeway.

Louisville will drop out of the polls soon enough.

The range on the Coaches Poll is interesting...various coaches had Gonzaga at 10, Duke at 4, Kansas at 2, and Kentucky at 1. Talk about an agenda...

All of those voters should be barred from voting the rest of the year. Seriously, if that's the best you can do then you shouldn't be voting andI don't care if you are a HC and your vote was for your team. Those votes are absurd!

“Ladies and gentlemen, as we prepare for takeoff, please make sure your seat backs and tray tables are in their full upright position. Make sure your seat belt is securely fastened and all carry-on luggage is stowed underneath the seat in front of you or in the overhead bins. Please turn off all electronic devices until we are safely parked at the Final Four. Thank you.” #RiseOfTheBillikens

Looks like 26th in the USA Today poll: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/polls/

I was a little shocked about that. Based on the previous week's vote totals and placements, I thought we'd not only make the USA Today Poll, but that we'd be a few places higher than in the AP Poll. I thought that once the AP Poll came in at #24, we for sure would be in the low twenties and possible high teens in the Coaches Poll.

yeah this is right. it probably is a little confusing though

Here is the footnote that people missed:

*Hi/Low Rankings

Hi/Low = The highest and lowest ranking each team has held during the designated season. Any team that starts the season unranked and/or falls out of the top 25 during the season will reflect a "NR" (not ranked) designation as its lowest rank.