Top 25?

moytoy12

K-State beat #25 Oklahoma. I know we're all crowded in the same area, so I'm not sure what this one does.

#20 Creighton is flat-out destroying Butler. Things went from promising to the toilet for the Bulldogs.

#22 Pitt and Georgia Tech have a 4-point game going in the second half. Another one to keep an eye on.

Arkansas is up by 2 at half vs. #13 Kentucky.

#19 Cincinnati is starting to pull away from Temple. Margin is 7 now, though there's a lot of time left.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

K-State beat #25 Oklahoma. I know we're all crowded in the same area, so I'm not sure what this one does.

#20 Creighton is flat-out destroying Butler. Things went from promising to the toilet for the Bulldogs.

#22 Pitt and Georgia Tech have a 4-point game going in the second half. Another one to keep an eye on.

Arkansas is up by 2 at half vs. #13 Kentucky.

#19 Cincinnati is starting to pull away from Temple. Margin is 7 now, though there's a lot of time left.

Great decision, Big East.

I could not disagree more with pretty much your entire assessment. We are in the heart of the conf season where every win in paramount and every game is magnified. This coaching staff has demonstrated an excellent ability to rotate players and keep them fresh. We are 15-2 and last game the coach played a 9 man rotation. That is as long a rotation as you can expect to see in the middle of the season. Crawford did not look at all scared to take shots--he put up two threes in the heat of action and they were just a little long. He also agressively drove to the basket and scored but got an offensive foul. You also have your head in the place where the sun don't shine if you are going to rip Jordair Jett. Sure he makes some mistakes as does every good player in the country but he is playing great all around basketball and Tanner or Reggie are not yet in the same universe as he is. They will be fine but it is ridiculous to say they should play now just to get them playing time. It looks like we may have a very special team--maybe the best in a generation but time will tell. But we should leave the coaching decisions regarding playing time to our great staff and head coach and cheer for the team.

To the artist formerly known as Billikan and the good Dr K, let me help you with Reading Comprehension 1, which it seems both of you opted not to take during your academic career. A phrase which reads, " I am NOT saying we should sacrifice any wins this year to get playing time for the 3 FR, but I am saying we need to judiciously insert them into the lineup whenever possible...." can hardly be interpreted to mean that wins are not "paramount." By the way, I would hardly say we are "in the heart of the conf season"-more like the beginning of the conf season and the heart of the SEASON.

I also appreciate your ability to disagree without getting nasty! Your head up my @$$ reference was very professional-welcome back Mr. Billikan, to your land of OZ. I certainly agree that JJ has had an excellent season, however, if you have not seen a fair number of bonehead plays on his part then you aren't watching. My only point there was that I haven't seen FR type mistakes from RA, TL or MC that would hurt the team just because of their inexperience. Why be looking to just pick a fight with someone whose opinion doesn't match up with the wonderworld you live in?

I actually disagree with TT's point about VCU being a tough matchup for us. While VCU's Havoc D is certainly difficult to play against, I believe the key to beating it is stopping them on defense and not allowing them to set up their press. Once the press is setup, they will turn you over and get easy buckets. We obviously are better than most at stopping teams from scoring.

Well after seeing us bumble our way through the Bonnies press at the end of the game you may want to reconsider just how easy it will be for us to handle the VCU press. That was disgusting to watch - it looked like we had no idea what to do with ball - it was like the ball was a hot potato and nobody wanted it. They better spend some time working on this or they will be in trouble.

@ old guy -- thanks for the clarification. I have resolved to worry about next year next year. With 17 games played, 53% of the guaranteed schedule is in the books. Anything that comes from any of the three freshmen at this point is gravy. If foul trouble does indeed rear it's head, it will be a proverbial baptism by fire. I firmly believe the OOC schedule has been quite defining in who gets what. The fresmen will be three relative unknowns as far as sophomores are concerned.

@kshoe -- agree on Crawford. Sure, I would suspect it is easier to shoot too against the OOCers as Mike did but I was hearthened by his ability to play better defense, play heady basketball, and not be so much of a liability out there. In those areas, he did well. Which means he can relieve Barnett if needed (as was the case). If he scores, much like above, gravy.

@nark --- contributors "at some point." Let's hope so .... they've only completed about 13% of their career here and with nothing to show, the only way to go is up. That statement was open-ended and typical coach-speak. But I'm okay with it.

@sshoe -- you have nailed the key to beating Havoc, partially. The other half of that key is to also make them pay if they stay in it, which they will. They know no other way. La Salle destroyed them in Richmond last year because they pushed their attack to the basket even after broaching the half court line. If you stop because you "broke" the press, they will just reapply it into a half court press. If you take the break to the hole and make layups, you are making them pay the ultimate price because their halfcourt offensive game is weak. That's why we need four guys beating their press --- three heady guards to proceed up the court with a forward for relief, and then a continuation to the finish. The main difference between this year and last is we have to go play there for the first time and the Siegel Center is a tough place to play at any time. I think we can demolsih them at home. Plus, outside of Graham, I am not that impressed with the skills of anyone else. Melvin Johnson can get hot but the rest are just highly athletic but short on skills. You negate Weber by not letting him pressure the ballhanlder and you watch for his blindside sneak when the ballhandler is forced to one side of the court. Frankly, dribbling should be your leats-preferred option.

I thought we played them twice last year - once here and once there?

Well after seeing us bumble our way through the Bonnies press at the end of the game you may want to reconsider just how easy it will be for us to handle the VCU press. That was disgusting to watch - it looked like we had no idea what to do with ball - it was like the ball was a hot potato and nobody wanted it. They better spend some time working on this or they will be in trouble.

I think the major difference here is that VCU will be playing the press from the very beginning and SLU can prepare for it. SBU only started doing that toward the end of the game when the Bills were also trying to run down the clock.

I think the major difference here is that VCU will be playing the press from the very beginning and SLU can prepare for it. SBU only started doing that toward the end of the game when the Bills were also trying to run down the clock.

I'm not so worried about the full court press, but the half court traps. We were pretty susceptible to it last night. UMASS will also give us fits with half court traps/pressure given their size and athleticism.

Better for the coaching staff to see it now as opposed to later. Gives us time to work on it.

I noticed the listing of the top ten Mid Majors at the bottom of the article. Several writers said we should be ranked in the top 25 and we are not listed as a Mid Major top ten. We must be Major now!!!!

I'm not so worried about the full court press, but the half court traps. We were pretty susceptible to it last night. UMASS will also give us fits with half court traps/pressure given their size and athleticism.

Better for the coaching staff to see it now as opposed to later. Gives us time to work on it.

I think we are going to be missing KM when we see VCU and HAVOC this year. I love McBroom, but he is still young and gets excited with the ball sometimes. Oh, he is also only 5'9. Add in JJ's turnover issue he has on and off... we really need to tighten down when we play VCU or we are going to be having a ton of turnovers.

I noticed the listing of the top ten Mid Majors at the bottom of the article. Several writers said we should be ranked in the top 25 and we are not listed as a Mid Major top ten. We must be Major now!!!!

We've been all over the board this year on the mid-major/major debate. One day, the A-10 is mid-major; the next day, it's not.