Biedscheid Transferring from ND

Littlebill

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much agree with everything you're saying. I think it's a house divided (SLU/Mizzou) and it'll end up falling Mizzou's way. So be it.

Also - anyone know much about his H.S. coach? It seems to me he would be the likely "source" many are citing.

I talked to his high school coach today. He has had no contact with Cam since he graduated. He has no idea what Cam's decision will be. Cam did not even consult with him before he committed to Notre Dame. He did not know Cam was transferring until I called him in December and asked him about it.

I talked to his high school coach today. He has had no contact with Cam since he graduated. He has no idea what Cam's decision will be. Cam did not even consult with him before he committed to Notre Dame. He did not know Cam was transferring until I called him in December and asked him about it.

Interesting. This article quotes Neals talking about why CB left ND.

http://m.southbendtribune.com/sports/college/notredame/mensbasketball/notre-dame-basketball-future-in-doubt-for-biedscheid/article_002c4732-6ea2-11e3-a0e5-0019bb30f31a.html?mode=jqm

Probably explains why the ND media was so shocked by this whole ordeal...they've gotten very limited information and the only information they did get was just speculation by his old highschool coach.

He found out the reason why he left but when I talked to him in December he did not know he was even thinking of leaving. He talked to someone in Cam's family after I talked to him and they confirmed it. Just reporting what he told me. The article quotes Marvin talking about why he left, it did not say when he found out he was leaving.

“A lot of schools backed off Cam when he committed to Notre Dame,” Cardinal Ritter coach Marvin Neals told the Tribune Thursday. “He was so into going to Notre Dame that they figured there was no use recruiting him anymore.”

“He thought he’d be competing for a starting job,” Neals said. “Once he realized his role might diminish, he was not a happy camper.”

None of that negates anything doowop said. It doesn't mean that Biedscheid confided in Neals at all about the commitment, and it doesn't mean Neals had any communication with Biedscheid since graduation or that he knew about the pending transfer until doowop brought it up.

Probably explains why the ND media was so shocked by this whole ordeal...they've gotten very limited information and the only information they did get was just speculation by his old highschool coach.

The Notre Dame media knew about this way before Marvin did. The information Marvin got was not speculation because he called a family member and they confirmed it. Being Cam's former coach, he has access to the family. I found out from B. Weix and called Marvin and asked him. At that time he was not aware.

None of that negates anything doowop said. It doesn't mean that Biedscheid confided in Neals at all about the commitment, and it doesn't mean Neals had any communication with Biedscheid since graduation or that he knew about the pending transfer until doowop brought it up.

To be clear I wasn't calling Doowop a liar. It just seemed weird to me that Neals was being quoted about the transfer as if he stayed in contact with the family.

If CB is truly looking for a for sure starting role (since that is why he left ND), then is mizzou really the best place for him? Yeah, Haith can promise him this and that, but they already have a redshirt 4 star small forward who will be starting next year. So if he ends up at mizzou, does that mean that CB will just automatically take that guy's position once he is eligible? What if the other guy turns out to be pretty good? Then Haith will obviously no choice but to keep CB on the bench.

If he comes to slu, he is guaranteed a starting role. Simple as that.

If he comes to slu, he is guaranteed a starting role. Simple as that.

I don't know about that, can he play defense???? Has to if he wants playing time at SLU!

I don't know about that, can he play defense???? Has to if he wants playing time at SLU!

I'm sure if he is as good as everyone says he is that Crews can prepare him defensively while he redshirts. The question is, who else would be starting at the 3 if not CB? Next year we won't really have a pure small forward on our roster, and unless mike crawford drastically improves I don't think he will be starting. We might be doing somewhat of a 3 guard rotation or something like that, but obviously starting CB would only help. I am sure he can learn the defense, and if not there really wouldn't be much of an other option… but that is just my personal opinion...

Here is my take on the Biedscheid situation. Sorry for any redundancies with other posters:

1) With Ben W. being in Israel and Tom T. not covering this type of story for whatever reason, all the info being leaked has a clear Mizzou lean. That means that the people (perhaps even the "sources") who are covering this story are all getting their information from most likely Mizzou people and reporting it through a Mizzou lens. I am not blaming Cusamano, Matter, DeArmand or anyone else for doing their job, just saying that is how this info is being presented.

2) That Cam hasn't committed to Mizzou is a good thing. He visited, he presumably has an offer and there was momentum for him to commit. The only other school we know for sure he is considering is SLU, so it would seem he wants to at least check the Billikens out now.

3) I guess Cam probably hasn't visited, but who knows for sure. If he were to have visited SLU, who would have even reported that? It's in his home city so it would've made sense for him to do it over the weekend.

My gut tells me he is leaning Tigers, but I definitely still think there is a shot that Cam winds up at SLU.

This!!

I like the Bills chances the longer this goes.

As for the MU board, that thing is awful, I tried to look at it a few years back and have never been back. I have never heard a positive thing about that site.

They need to change that so I can follow/snoop.

Who knows where CB is headed? While I do hope it is SLU, I do find the whole Sophomore redshirt issue… I mean academic issue but not practicing with the team thing to be odd. If CB played in 34 games as a Frosh, albeit as a reserve, and if CB expected to compete for a starting spot this year, then why would the staff want to redshirt him. What coach wouldn't want a solid backup and for competition to exist. Sounds more like he was recruited over, and if that happened, then what coach wants to redshirt a kid who has been recruited over? Instead, it appears more like he himself wanted to redshirt to protect a year (1/2 year) of eligibility and that the need to focus on academics is the excuse given At the same time, didn't CB/his family publicly complain about the redshirt? blame Coach Brey? again odd if CB is the one who wanted it.

And yes, if CB is headed to Mizzou, then when is he to commit? Could ND possibly be refusing to release him to Mizzou but allow him to go to SLU? Could the release be what is keeping him from announcing? Is it possible that CB already met with Crews?

Who knows where CB is headed? While I do hope it is SLU, I do find the whole Sophomore redshirt issue… I mean academic issue but not practicing with the team thing to be odd. If CB played in 34 games as a Frosh, albeit as a reserve, and if CB expected to compete for a starting spot this year, then why would the staff want to redshirt him. What coach wouldn't want a solid backup and for competition to exist. Sounds more like he was recruited over, and if that happened, then what coach wants to redshirt a kid who has been recruited over? Instead, it appears more like he himself wanted to redshirt to protect a year (1/2 year) of eligibility and that the need to focus on academics is the excuse given At the same time, didn't CB/his family publicly complain about the redshirt? blame Coach Brey? again odd if CB is the one who wanted it.

And yes, if CB is headed to Mizzou, then when is he to commit? Could ND possibly be refusing to release him to Mizzou but allow him to go to SLU? Could the release be what is keeping him from announcing? Is it possible that CB already met with Crews?

Brey did not want CB to redshirt. CB did so of his own accord. He was criticized for it.

Cb did not like how he was utilized in the rotation last year, specifically he didn't have the ball in his hands on offense. He sat in the corner and waited to shoot 3s. That isn't his game. CB discussed this with the coaching staff over the offseason. Once practice started and things didn't change he decided to take a redshirt. Brey and ND continued the charade that he wasn't going to transfer but that was total BS. He was transferring mid semester from the moment he took his redshirt.

Agree.

It does not all add up.

Is he as desirable as most think? He has raw talent, sure, but this does not all feel right.

Maybe he will come here and be a star, sure. But not so sure things are as they appear.

Brey did not want CB to redshirt. CB did so of his own accord. He was criticized for it.

Cb did not like how he was utilized in the rotation last year, specifically he didn't have the ball in his hands on offense. He sat in the corner and waited to shoot 3s. That isn't his game. CB discussed this with the coaching staff over the offseason. Once practice started and things didn't change he decided to take a redshirt. Brey and ND continued the charade that he wasn't going to transfer but that was total BS. He was transferring mid semester from the moment he took his redshirt.

Torch. Clearly you know more about him and his situation than I do. if you are correct, though, then why did Brey give CB the redshirt? Isn't this ultimately a ND decision as opposed to a player decision? In fact, I believe ND has stricter rules than most on when a redshirt is allowed -- or is that only to play your 5th year but you can sit your 2nd year? And why would Brey go on record, for months, saying this is an academic issue, that CB is happy/will stay, that CB has been working out with assistant coaches if not true. Brey's credibility is/has been on the line… and for what?? a kid wanting to do things his way as opposed to Brey's way?? Again, something is not making sense.

I'm in the camp that the more days this goes on without hearing anything, the better. I have a good feeling about the situation. As other posters have mentioned, CB can be promised all the playing time in the world from MU. However, he has been fooled once. He needs to do his homework, scout the team and look at the big picture of who is there and who is coming in at both schools. He has to know that we are losing a lot of firepower next year which should translate into significant minutes. If he is as good as he is being touted, he should have a huge impact for us right away. He is probably thinking that once we land Tatum we will be favorites to win the National Championship. Why wouldn't he want to come to SLU? Looks like the private dances from the Golden Girls didn't quite convince him to stay in Columbia.

Torch. Clearly you know more about him and his situation than I do. if you are correct, though, then why did Brey give CB the redshirt? Isn't this ultimately a ND decision as opposed to a player decision? In fact, I believe ND has stricter rules than most on when a redshirt is allowed -- or is that only to play your 5th year but you can sit your 2nd year? And why would Brey go on record, for months, saying this is an academic issue, that CB is happy/will stay, that CB has been working out with assistant coaches if not true. Brey's credibility is/has been on the line… and for what?? a kid wanting to do things his way as opposed to Brey's way?? Again, something is not making sense.

Brey thought he could convince Cam to stay or maybe Brey actually believed that Cam wanted to redshirt to get stronger. That is why. A school can't force a kid to play in a game so of course it was Cam's decision to redshirt.

Where did Brey say this was an academic issue months ago? The academic bullsheat only started in the last few weeks when Cam made it known to the staff that he was leaving.

This situation really isn't that complicated:

- As Torch said above Cam wasn't happy with how he was being used.

- Cam made the decision over the summer to give it another try with ND to see if things would improve.

- Once practices started it became obvious that things weren't going to change so he decided at that point he'd likely transfer.

- He didn't want to transfer mid-semester so e asked for a redshirt because he didn't want to waste the year of eligibility by playing in a few games.

Brey thought he could convince Cam to stay or maybe Brey actually believed that Cam wanted to redshirt to get stronger. That is why. A school can't force a kid to play in a game so of course it was Cam's decision to redshirt.

Where did Brey say this was an academic issue months ago? The academic bullsheat only started in the last few weeks when Cam made it known to the staff that he was leaving.

This situation really isn't that complicated:

- As Torch said above Cam wasn't happy with how he was being used.

- Cam made the decision over the summer to give it another try with ND to see if things would improve.

- Once practices started it became obvious that things weren't going to change so he decided at that point he'd likely transfer.

- He didn't want to transfer mid-semester so e asked for a redshirt because he didn't want to waste the year of eligibility by playing in a few games.

Exactly, the academic stuff is just Brey trying to cover his ass. Cam was the highest ranked player Brey signed in a decade.

I am going to express a dissenting opinion about Cam. He sounds, to me at least, as a person that wants what he wants and is willing to walk if he does not get it. That is a big problem. I think coaches have to think carefully about what they are getting if they get Cam. A coach's job is to shape and direct his team, to mold the talent he has recruited into a team that expresses his ideas about play and team work. I think this might be a difficult thing to do while trying to keep Cam from bolting. In other words are you going to run a team or are you going to be doing what Cam thinks is best for himself, can you reach a mutually happy medium with Cam? Most certainly Brey could not. Food for thought, how far are you, the coach, willing to go for the sake of having Cam playing for you? Of course (strictly by what I have heard about him in this board) Haith has his own way of doing things, and he may think there is a perfect connection between his style and Cam's, who knows. However, I think Crews is a very different kind of guy and I could see some degree of incompatibility between his way of doing things and Cam's.

I think Cam has a tough decision to make, one that may indeed force him to accept more restrictions and less play time than he desires if he wants to come to SLU. Time will tell.

I am going to express a dissenting opinion about Cam. He sounds, to me at least, as a person that wants what he wants and is willing to walk if he does not get it. That is a big problem. I think coaches have to think carefully about what they are getting if they get Cam. A coach's job is to shape and direct his team, to mold the talent he has recruited into a team that expresses his ideas about play and team work. I think this might be a difficult thing to do while trying to keep Cam from bolting. In other words are you going to run a team or are you going to be doing what Cam thinks is best for himself, can you reach a mutually happy medium with Cam? Most certainly Brey could not. Food for thought, how far are you, the coach, willing to go for the sake of having Cam playing for you? Of course (strictly by what I have heard about him in this board) Haith has his own way of doing things, and he may think there is a perfect connection between his style and Cam's, who knows. However, I think Crews is a very different kind of guy and I could see some degree of incompatibility between his way of doing things and Cam's.

I think Cam has a tough decision to make, one that may indeed force him to accept more restrictions and less play time than he desires if he wants to come to SLU. Time will tell.

It is, also, a coach's job to sell a kid on his program. The coach tells a kid a bunch of things that may not turn out to be the case wants the kid suits up. Why is it wrong for the kid to decide to transfer when things turn out not to be what he was told?

It is, also, a coach's job to sell a kid on his program. The coach tells a kid a bunch of things that may not turn out to be the case wants the kid suits up. Why is it wrong for the kid to decide to transfer when things turn out not be what he was told?

This.

If CB commits to slu, it is because he will have accepted Crews' terms. Crews is not the kind of guy to give players false promises, he is going to tell CB how it is. Now whether or not that is accepted by CB is up in the air...