Biedscheid Transferring from ND

Littlebill

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually shocked at how few people had not heard of Cheney until we hired him.

I am amazed and shocked as well. However, for those of us who lived for, played and watched basketball from an early age and coached thereafter in various ways, it tells us a bit about our fan base in terms of what I would call diehard basketball fans. A lot of our fans have not been what I would call "basketball junkies" so they do not have a strong knowledge of the game or its historical figures, players or strategy. That comes through in a lot of the comments on this board.

I am amazed and shocked as well. However, for those of us who lived for, played and watched basketball from an early age and coached thereafter in various ways, it tells us a bit about our fan base in terms of what I would call diehard basketball fans. A lot of our fans have not been what I would call "basketball junkies" so they do not have a strong knowledge of the game or its historical figures, players or strategy. That comes through in a lot of the comments on this board.

Pretty striking generalization. Perhaps our fan base is also just younger than you realize.

I cannot figure out how to read that board efficiently. Do you have to click on every single response, wait for it to load, just to find some two word comment from one of those dipshits?

Yep. That's why I hate that that's the preferred place to talk Mizzou hoops.

I'm in my 40s and had no idea who Calbert Cheaney was until we hired him.

I'm shocked. I remember legendary battles between Cheaney's Indiana squad and Ohio State with Jim Jackson. And it was Cheaney's squad that kept Shaquille O'Neal from reaching a Final Four.

The poster HissingPrigs has said some solid things in that thread, most importantly that SLU is very much still involved with CB.

The poster MUTGR used to post on here all the time but stopped about 5 years ago. He's got a law degree from SLU so he's a relatively intelligent person but his hard-on hate of SLU is something else.

HissingPrigs seems to think we are going to land McCaw.

Amusing stuff about Calbert; and a bit sad too. I watched him play live dozens of times, plus met him a lot and played pick up ball with him many times down in the old Hyper building in Bloomington. A true legend and a helluva good guy. hard to stomach but it was over 20 years ago . . .

Then again, just to put this into perspective: it is age-driven. Because believe it or not, guys like Gary Bradds, Art Heyman, Chet Forte, and Tom Gola, among others, all won player of the year awards, back when I was a kid or before I was born. Does everyone remember Bradds, Heyman, etc.?? Be honest ....

And around the same time Calbert won it, before or after, the likes of Danny Ferry, Hersey Hawkins, and Jim Jackson also won it. Does everyone remember them??

Plus I seem to recall Cazzie Russell, who I also think was all time scoring leader at Michigan and maybe in Big Ten for a while, won it -- and yet how many remember Cazzie?

ps: I teach a lot of history and students often have difficulty naming our main enemies in WW II; or they are stymied by questions about who fought in the Civil War, etc., so historical failures no longer surprise me very much.

It helps explain why so many fans today actually argue about which one of the following: Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, or Kevin Durant; is the all time greatest player....

I lived in Ohio at the time and saw him play OSU a few times, plus on TV. He wasn't a flashy player and lost sight of him after he finished at IU, ie he wasn't an MJ and if he was he wouldn't be in coaching. I would suspect the parents of Indy recruits would be very honored to have him over for a dinner. Played for Knight, Big10 player of the year, etc. Those kind of players aren't forgotten in their home states, especially in hoops crazy Hoosierland. How that works for landing CB, probably not so much. Might not hurt to have the Legend whisper in the kid's ear. And while he's at it, whisper in Justin's kid's ear as well.

It helps explain why so many fans today actually argue about which one of the following: Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, or Kevin Durant; is the all time greatest player....

Does anyone actually argue this?

I've seen recent comparisons between Lebron and Jordan, but that's about it.

I have never once heard anyone argue that Durant is the best all-time player.

Doc B, did you mean the infamous Art Heyman? Second best sports quote I ever heard: Heyman's a Knick and they're having a card game on the plane ride home. Holtzman, coach of the Knicks, asks if he can play. Heyman says, "This is my game. You don't let me play in yours. you ain't playing in mine." Classic.

And as for history, I still can't figure out why we went to war with Japan, when it was those dirty rotten Nazis that attacked Pearl Harbor.

MJ's one for the ages. Plus the kids are still buying Air Jordans. He's Babe Ruth big. Jim Brown big. Be interesting question just for the heck of it, Doc, ask your class who was Babe Ruth? If they don't know, or say something stupid like "An old time movie star.", or "a candy bar", flunk 'em.

NH - The average age on Billikens.com may be younger than he thinks, however, the average age at Chaifetz has got to be around 87.

Is this a serious post? How does not knowing who Calbert Cheaney is equate to inferior "knowledge of the game"?

NH - The average age on Billikens.com may be younger than he thinks, however, the average age at Chaifetz has got to be around 87.

My best friend always says that Chaifetz is filled with more old men wearing hats than any other place in the world.

Seriously look around next time and the amount of older gentlemen wearing baseball caps is astonishing.

Amusing stuff about Calbert; and a bit sad too. I watched him play live dozens of times, plus met him a lot and played pick up ball with him many times down in the old Hyper building in Bloomington. A true legend and a helluva good guy. hard to stomach but it was over 20 years ago . . .

Then again, just to put this into perspective: it is age-driven. Because believe it or not, guys like Gary Bradds, Art Heyman, Chet Forte, and Tom Gola, among others, all won player of the year awards, back when I was a kid or before I was born. Does everyone remember Bradds, Heyman, etc.?? Be honest ....

And around the same time Calbert won it, before or after, the likes of Danny Ferry, Hersey Hawkins, and Jim Jackson also won it. Does everyone remember them??

Plus I seem to recall Cazzie Russell, who I also think was all time scoring leader at Michigan and maybe in Big Ten for a while, won it -- and yet how many remember Cazzie?

ps: I teach a lot of history and students often have difficulty naming our main enemies in WW II; or they are stymied by questions about who fought in the Civil War, etc., so historical failures no longer surprise me very much.

Joe Berry Carroll and Sleepy Floyd, too. Those guys were right there in the late 70s.

That's why I like to go there. Only place where I can look around and feel young. And I don't wear a cap......during the anthem.

Ditto. Only place with an older clientele is Miss Sheri's Cafeteria.

That's a great suggestion for the next "annual" Billikens,com message board gathering!

On the past couple of pages we have spent more time on wearing caps then the thread topic, but what's new?

Next comes the always clever 50/50 post.