i forget...why are we playing this game?

Billiken1

The game preview article from the Belleville News-Democrat does a pretty good job of going into why SLU is playing at SIUE:

Billikens, Cougars ready to rumble at sold-out Vadalabene Center

I think they may be mistaken out the game being "sold out" though.

Thanks for that link. I didn't know about the relationship between the two coaches.

And I have read that the game is at least close to being sold out. It wouldn't surprise me if it is as the arena is only about 4000. I expect a lot of SLU fans there.

Also, I do believe they will then play 2 at our place in the next 2 seasons. And I know, the RPI will take a big hit.

The game preview article from the Belleville News-Democrat does a pretty good job of going into why SLU is playing at SIUE:

Billikens, Cougars ready to rumble at sold-out Vadalabene Center

I think they may be mistaken out the game being "sold out" though.

Thanks for the link. That was a fun read.

Thanks for that link. I didn't know about the relationship between the two coaches.

And I have read that the game is at least close to being sold out. It wouldn't surprise me if it is as the arena is only about 4000. I expect a lot of SLU fans there.

Also, I do believe they will then play 2 at our place in the next 2 seasons. And I know, the RPI will take a big hit.

The article said that we are done with the contract after this game. You may want to reread it.

We are playing this game to bring our brand to a whole new audience. SIUE may be good oneday, but not today. The loyal cougar faithful will have a second team to root for until that time comes. After they experience the excitement and class we show on the court we will have won over 3,500 new fans.

I think we should play this game every year. They are the only other D1 team in this market. Good or bad, we should always play them.

I would have no problem with doing a 2 for 1 with SIUE for the foreseeable future or bringing them in for a buy-game every year. The problem with just doing a home and home is that SIUE an awful team. SLU plays a limited number of road games as part of home and home in order to get good/decent teams on the home schedule every year. If you waste one of those with SIUE the schedule strength suffers greatly. Not only that, but SLU won't see a bump in attendance for a game against SIUE like they would for a game against a bigger name. Therefore, they are sacrificing revenue by playing a home and home with SIUE as well.

I think we should play this game every year. They are the only other D1 team in this market. Good or bad, we should always play them.

Until they get on their feet in D1 it should be a 2 for 1, though. They need us more than we need them. Look at Wisconsin's in-state lineup. They play the D1 schools (Marquette, UW-Milwaukee, UW-Green Bay) each year but only Marquette is a home and home series. UWM and Green Bay are 2 for 1s

I hate the "they need us more than we need them argument"...mainly because it's the attitude that keeps us from playing regional BCS teams such as mi$$ouri. We have nothing to lose playing SIUE. We aren't going to lose, and even if we did, we probably wouldn't be in a position to act all high and mighty. I agree with others - I'd much rather play this game than against some lowly no name school

I hate the "they need us more than we need them argument"...mainly because it's the attitude that keeps us from playing regional BCS teams such as mi$$ouri. We have nothing to lose playing SIUE. We aren't going to lose, and even if we did, we probably wouldn't be in a position to act all high and mighty. I agree with others - I'd much rather play this game than against some lowly no name school

I agree and we thought Mizzou should play us even when we weren't on the same level. We are going to play some crappy teams why not have them be local teams. I don't even mind playing it on the road. The coach is a good friend of JC's why not play it. There's no harm and if we lose we don't deserve to be talking NCAA tourney anyway

And I get that our program is on the same level as the BCSer's on our regional, while SIUE is not on par with us. But there's no need to have an elitist attitude about it. Let's play them. And beat them.

Exactly. I don't care the terms. We should play them once per season somewhere in the region. It makes sense to build a relationship with a local program rather than bring in an extra no-name cupcake. It can only help SIU-E improve their program, and if they do it is good for both of us.