2013-2014 Schedule

Pistol

-I was hoping the Vandy game time would have been TV-dictated, because the odds of a later ESPN/ESPN2 game would have been better. I could get an idea of how early I could leave work and drive down there.

-Yeah, only one Saturday night home conference game is possible (GW, 2/22), but a time is TBA so even that is not certain.

-I was hoping Duquesne would be a weekend road game because that's an easy trip for me and we have friends there. I'll try to make Wednesday work, though. Tickets will be easy.

-Also would have liked SIUE to be on a weekend. I would have come in for that. The Dayton road game at 11 am (Eastern) is a no-brainer for me. Valpo is likely.

-They picked the right Wednesday (2/12 to be off). Wife's birthday. Whew. Taunting me with a home game on 1/4 when I'll already be in STL - for a wedding. Not going to make that game.

-What are your votes for hardest game on the schedule? Wichita State at home? Wisconsin in Cancun? VCU on the road?

VCU on the road is the hardest by a long shot. That play is crazy.

Some of the weird timing of games, including the lack of Saturday night games is a direct result of being a desired tv product and being stuck in whatever time slot NBCSports, CBSsports or ESPN wants us.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Timmerman has some schedule-related gems today:

-5th time we've played NC A&T. They were on the schedule the first year of the Majerus era.

-We have lost the last 4 road games at Rhode Island [shudder]. Last win: 2006.

-Current longevity champ on the SLU schedule is Dayton. We've played every season since 1999-2000. I was a high school junior then. Wow.

-Charlotte is not on the schedule for the first time since 1994-1995.

-3rd regular season game in the past 5 years with Rockhurst. Ugh.

-11 of 16 A10 games will be on national TV. Looks like the schedule with the most national exposure ever.

-SLU will play at Wichita State and Indiana State next year. Vandy will come to STL. I actually like the Terre Haute road trip; basically the midpoint between Cincy and STL. Too bad the town is crow-infested and smells like waste.

-What are your votes for hardest game on the schedule? Wichita State at home? Wisconsin in Cancun? VCU on the road?

Gotta be VCU on the road. Wichita St will be tough, but I think they are a little overrated b/c of the final 4 run. Wisconsin will also be tough and likely very low scoring. I'd imagine Havoc at VCU will be a lot tougher than home or even in Brooklyn and without Kwamain our guard play will not be as strong.

Thoughts:

-We should have 1+ exhibitions announced soon. The Rockhurst game WILL NOT COUNT on the RPI. Hope that settles that for the year.

-Lots of early-afternoon times, and even a morning time (10 am, Saturday, 1/11 at Dayton). Good for our older fan base.

-I love the noon start for the Wichita State game. I'll hit that before heading back to Cincy at the end of Thanksgiving weekend.

Would they be looking to fill in the non tv games w/ FoxSports MW, sure hope so.

-Only two back-to-back road game stretches this season: Rhode Island (1/7) and Dayton (1/11) and then St. Joe's (2/5) and LaSalle (2/8). Easy travel.

-There's no embarrassing stretch like the entire month of December last year, which was just home buy games. We're tested throughout. Every buy game is before or after a potentially challenging game.

-4 games on ESPN/ESPN2 and a bunch more on the others. Not too shabby.

Thoughts:

-We should have 1+ exhibitions announced soon. The Rockhurst game WILL NOT COUNT on the RPI. Hope that settles that for the year.

-Lots of early-afternoon times, and even a morning time (10 am, Saturday, 1/11 at Dayton). Good for our older fan base.

-I love the noon start for the Wichita State game. I'll hit that before heading back to Cincy at the end of Thanksgiving weekend.

Would they be looking to fill in the non tv games w/ FoxSports MW, sure hope so.

-Only two back-to-back road game stretches this season: Rhode Island (1/7) and Dayton (1/11) and then St. Joe's (2/5) and LaSalle (2/8). Easy travel.

-There's no embarrassing stretch like the entire month of December last year, which was just home buy games. We're tested throughout. Every buy game is before or after a potentially challenging game.

-4 games on ESPN/ESPN2 and a bunch more on the others. Not too shabby.

Would they be looking to fill in the non tv games w/ FSMW or a local network channel?

Would they be looking to fill in the non tv games w/ FSMW or a local network channel?

I'm sure they'll be looking to, but will they be able to do so is a different story. The NHL being on strike undoubtedly contributed to last year's FSM pickup of games.

"Doable on an overnight"?! According to Google Maps, Baltimore to Richmond is 2.5 hours. Come on, Taj.

Plus, Pittsburgh is under 4 hours (although it's a weeknight game), Kingston is under 6 hours (weeknight game), and Springfield is just over 5 hours.

Should we have more than 1 loss heading into conference play?

A couple of things-first I'm glad we play Rockhurst - all the Jebbie colleges need to work together to help each other out. Kinda like Marquette and Georgetown did a few months ago.

Regarding the number of pre-season losses, I see at least 2 and maybe three out the following games: WIS; WSU; Ind. St and Vandy. I think Vandy is a sure loss-playing on their "benches at the wrong place and elevated court" have gotten many teams better than us discombobulated (sp?).

Philly road trip and Mason road trip. VCU is doable on an overnight. None of the others work in terms of game nights. Then off to Brooklyn. Maybe Dayton on a Saturday.

See you in Philly and Brooklyn...maybe VCU

WITCHita State?! Fire yourself.

Also, I'd go with something other than Southeast MO-State. SEMO, SE Missouri State, something like that. Just one man's opinion.

Also, pretty sure it is ValpAraiso not ValpOraiso. I'm willing to let this one slide though because they call themselvse ValpO and the typo probably pisses bbtds off.

Also, pretty sure it is ValpAraiso not ValpOraiso. I'm willing to let this one slide though because they call themselvse ValpO and the typo probably pisses bbtds off.

This is true. I missed it. Good eye.

Also some road games have a space between the @ and school, while others don't. I'm not saying one or the other is correct, Steve, I'm just asking for some consistency. This is billikens.com, not some dog and pony show like ESPN.com.

Same with "St." and "State" - though I'm pretty sure he has the technical spelling of "La Salle" correct with the space, even though most outlets don't use the space.

SLU and Missouri State are working to restart their series.

Should we petition against this? Didnt RM vow to never play them again? What are we without principles?

I would make a joke like "when asked if SLU would ever play MO State again, Rick said 'over my dead body,'" but that would be in poor taste.

SLU and Missouri State are working to restart their series.

Should we petition against this? Didnt RM vow to never play them again? What are we without principles?

-I also noticed that line. Do we tell them to pound sand in the spirit of Rick? Although I think they would put more butts in the seats (student and others) than the normal buy game and chance a road game gets on tv. If it were me scheduling they would be a last resort.

I really do not want to play SWMO and especially not over Christmas Break. I would tell them to go jump in the lake if they wanted that schedule. Play them during the week while school is in session. This is overall not a bad schedule - aces and spaces though. I just hope we are ready to play this year and make hay because I am still concerned about the following year.

I really do not want to play SWMO and especially not over Christmas Break. I would tell them to go jump in the lake if they wanted that schedule. Play them during the week while school is in session. This is overall not a bad schedule - aces and spaces though. I just hope we are ready to play this year and make hay because I am still concerned about the following year.

I think we will all be concerned about following year if we don't do at least as good as last year this year. I think the schedule is great. it seems like a bit tougher on paper than last season's overall RPIwise, but more doable in reality. still the way we looked last game, we were off they were on etc but still., the graduation of QM and the fact that we are now overdogs all the time makes it challenging.

So I'm not quite as ready as a lot of us to declare running table;1 pre conference loss; etc as much a no brainer as prevailing wisdom of posts post '12,'13 seems to favor. However all the pieces are all on table so if it all plays out the way we hope it will seem so obvious. But alas 1/2 century of mostly lackluster results wears one down. If we do better than last year I predict our incoming recruiting class will be mentioned when discussing top recruiting classes next off season.

glad schedule is finally out!