Jim Whitesell

JMM28

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I do not think Ahern would be a good choice for a lot of reasons.

That aside, do not make it into 1) an "absolute" issue regarding experience or 2) a goddam racial issue.

Coaches and other veteran leaders and observers close to the game know that some young men on these teams might be natural, gifted, future coaches: knowledgeable, intelligent, hard working, good teaching skills, good leaders, poise, ethics, etc... and others do not have those abilities and probably will never be coaching material.

If you were on a college team of any consequence, even as a player, it is pretty obvious by the end of a season who among the players have any coaching potential, even without experience. But the coaches and AD pick up on it very accurately. You never know for sure, of course.

I am not turning it into racial issue. I am just pointing out that it will be turned into one.

A lot of people would love if Blake got the job. Many in this area have a huge soft spot for the scrappy white guy. I am just pointing out that hiring him would not be viewed as positively by a large segment of the local basketball community.

I could be wrong here, but I think this job will have a pretty good amount of interest from other assistants around the country. You could potentially be the top assistant coach on a tournament team who has a chance to get into the Big East soon.

I like Bronson, but my point was someone (Majerus) saw something in this kid and gave him a chance. This is just my opinion, but the same guys that say get Tatum over Ahearn are the same as the guys that say vice versa. I trust Crews will hire the best person available. You've got to think Crews already has people in mind, any good coach would. All this talk is saloon banter anyway. Nothing against our current staff but please don't act like we can compare ours to a program like Louisville's or Kansas'. Again the only guy that matters is Crews. I just said Ahearn would be interesting because of our guard play and the talent we have at that position. Nothing more, nothing less. All things being equal, what is Rich Grawer up to these days? This late in the year he would be a great fill gap option as well.

I have heard that Ahern is in fact a candidate for the job. Will probably interview

This is bizarre. I figured it was Cusumano building up a fellow DeSmet grad, putting him at SLU as he wished from the beginning. It doesn't make sense to me.

If Tatum just took over at CBC and has yet to coach why would he leave them high and dry especially if his son is there. Him coming to SLU in no way ensures that his son will come here. If he was to be hired, then it would have to be on his own merit not his son's. I still think the staff needs more diversity - this idea of hiring the best available candidate without factoring in the current staff's attributes is not good management practice. Diversity is a good thing and does not require that you hire a poor candidate.

If Tatum just took over at CBC and has yet to coach why would he leave them high and dry especially if his son is there. Him coming to SLU in no way ensures that his son will come here. If he was to be hired, then it would have to be on his own merit not his son's. I still think the staff needs more diversity - this idea of hiring the best available candidate without factoring in the current staff's attributes is not good management practice. Diversity is a good thing and does not require that you hire a poor candidate.

Tatum's son does not go to CBC but I agree I don't see him leaving there unless we blew him away with an offer.

Some of the recent posts stole my thunder on this but I can see a lot of reasons that Tatum wouldn't even want to be a SLU assistant coach. They include:

1) Money. Does anybody know for sure what a highschool coach at a private school hell bent on winning like CBC makes? How does it compare to what SLU can legitimately offer? Might not be as big a difference as some believe.

2) Goals: Does anybody even know if Justin wants to be in the college game? Maybe he's perfectly happy being the head coach of championship caliber highschool teams. Maybe he doesn't want the crap workload that assistants are subject to.

3) Pride: Justin certainly understands that if he was hired at SLU (or any other college for that matter) it would be presumed that the only reason he was hired was for Jayson and not based on his own merits. He's already dealt with that at CBC and I suspect a small part of him actually was happy when Jayson stayed at Chaminade as it "proved" that move was more merit based than casual observers speculated. Maybe Justin would prefer to make it on the college scene under his own merits, rather than being perceived as a joke assistant that is only there to bring in his son.

4) CBC: It would be pretty crappy to leave now, having never coached a game there. Not every coach has to be scum like the Alford's of the world so maybe he wouldn't even think about leaving for at least a year.

5) Jayson: Maybe he wants Jayson to make this incredibly tough college decision without the added pressure of knowing that his dad's job success depends on that decision.

Some of the recent posts stole my thunder on this but I can see a lot of reasons that Tatum wouldn't even want to be a SLU assistant coach. They include:

1) Money. Does anybody know for sure what a highschool coach at a private school hell bent on winning like CBC makes? How does it compare to what SLU can legitimately offer? Might not be as big a difference as some believe.

2) Goals: Does anybody even know if Justin wants to be in the college game? Maybe he's perfectly happy being the head coach of championship caliber highschool teams. Maybe he doesn't want the crap workload that assistants are subject to.

3) Pride: Justin certainly understands that if he was hired at SLU (or any other college for that matter) it would be presumed that the only reason he was hired was for Jayson and not based on his own merits. He's already dealt with that at CBC and I suspect a small part of him actually was happy when Jayson stayed at Chaminade as it "proved" that move was more merit based than casual observers speculated. Maybe Justin would prefer to make it on the college scene under his own merits, rather than being perceived as a joke assistant that is only there to bring in his son.

4) CBC: It would be pretty crappy to leave now, having never coached a game there. Not every coach has to be scum like the Alford's of the world so maybe he wouldn't even think about leaving for at least a year.

5) Jayson: Maybe he wants Jayson to make this incredibly tough college decision without the added pressure of knowing that his dad's job success depends on that decision.

I think he would probably make about the same being the third assistant at SLU and being the head coach at CBC. Just an educated guess, can't confirm though.

I would be shocked if he was making anywhere close to six figures at CBC. You are not living the high life coaching high school sports, even at the MCC schools.

They make a ton of money off the camps. I think it might be closer to six figures than you think, after all that.

But again I could definitely be wrong.

I can't speak for the St Louis HS community, but typically a HS coach would be in the realm of 60-80k, usually the camps funds then go to the assistants who are paid little to nothing during the season. That said, there are Texas HS football coaches making 6 figures, I just don't see that being the case here.

My guess would be he's making 75k, maybe gets another 5-10k off camps (but most anything made there goes to assistants). As a SLU assistant coach he should be in the 125k range.

Yep. They make a ton off those camps. I've heard some loose numbers, and they were big.

Heard anything on what the tight numbers look like?

This is a good question. I don't begrudge Whitesell moving on to a program that can pay him more but it sucks that it comes right after the July evaluation period as it puts us behind the 8 ball on all the kids he was the principal recruiter.

Jim Crews is experienced and has the Bob Knight pedigree. I don't think the loss of Whitesell is significant. However, they need to make the most of this opportunity in getting some fresh blood and energy on the staff.