Recruiting 2015

Good finds, JMM. That big stiff from Oregon and that beanpole from Naperville never amounted to anything. Never gained any weight or improved at all.

BigMouth, I never said Welmer looked good in the videos because I didn't watch them. Just showing you there's more stuff out there on him besides some scrawny picture from his soph year in HS. But if we're strongly relying on him next season then we're probably going to be terrible again.

Here's another video. He's #191 in white. This is from the spring of his junior year in HS. He's by far the tallest guy on the court, and he is a beanpole. But he's already signed, so it's too late to call Crews and tell him he should have recruited Jahlil Okafor instead.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Gonzaga message board:

Matt Neufeld of Canada is apparantly being recruited pretty hard by Gonzaga right now. His AAU coach Pasha Bains shares on his play-style and his recruitment. This radio conversation occurred on Sept. 9:

Interest (No Reported Offer):

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/nwsport...h-jim-basnight

(0:53) Jim Basnight: One person that I know is on top of what's going on in the Northwest is our good friend Pasha Bains from DRIVE Basketball up in Vancouver. Is there anything new in your neck of the woods just right off the bat as far as DRIVE and some of the kids you're working with? Anything new on the recruiting front? I know that there was some discussion of Matt Neufeld and having some people come out and look at him.

(1:30) Pasha Bains: Yeah, Matt's doing well. He has some great options as a 2014, but he's got tons of options as a 2015 also. He's got his home visits. He's actually in Kansas, but he's got schools coming up here to meet with his parents and some schools are going to down Sunrise to watch him play.

(2:16) Jim: Who are some of the schools that are talking to Matt right now as far as that goes? And who's offered so far for 2015 for Matt Neufeld?

(2:29) Pasha: As far as Northwest goes, Washington obviously is very keen on him and he'd keen on them also, Washington State, Oregon State, Gonzaga (I actually don't think Gonzaga has offered yet but they're definitely recruiting him pretty hard), and UC Irvine is in there pretty good, Santa Clara, Portland is in there pretty good. So, he's got a lot of options over here in the Northwest, but he's also Minnesota has been there as a 2014 and as a 2015, UTEP, Clemson was in there as a 2014 and they're recruiting him hard as a 2015 (but the guy recruiting him was Earl Grant and he just got the job at Charleston so I haven't been in contact with him lately, but I don't know it that had changed things but as far as I know, they head coach watched him a bunch this summer and they wanted him then so I'm assuming that Clemson is still in the game there for Matt)

(33:40) Pasha: I've been involved with Washington State in terms of recruiting with Coach Bone and Curtis. I think their recruiting has shifted as far as what they're selling people and as far as their pitch goes. They really like Matt because he can run, he's got light feet, and he can step out and shoot. He can screen and he's a really good role player in terms of pick-and-rolls and doing all that other stuff, but I think the big shift that's happened at Wazzu is the excitement of running and playing fast and being very positive and encouraging the kids. It seems like they're going to open it up and let the kids get up and down more like a track meet. I think that's a key with Matt is that his feet are not like a 6'10"/6"11" guy's feet. He's really light on them and he can run. When we did suicides in practice, he was right there at the top at the front with the little 6'1"/6'2" guards.

(36:07) Pasha: I'll be honest with you. I think Washington State is in a very good position for Matt. Obviously there are other schools that are in a good position for him, but I think Washington State is right there at the top of his list.

Did I misunderstand Venice's post?

You're right, the intent wasn't clear, sorry about that.

Just showing that Neufeld had some serious looks from decent schools ... Earlier posts focused on the quality of our past recruits and which other schools offered.

The only box scores I could find show a couple games in November where he scored 9 or 10 points each game...and one in January where he only scored 2 in a game where his team scored 100.

Hard to judge because his team is loaded with D1 recruits....A true 5, hope he can be a difference maker, we need one badly....

Neufeld had a lot of good programs interested - Washington, St. Mary's, Colorado, Clemson, Washington State, and a host of smaller programs. Decision came down to SLU and St. Mary's. For a while, it was looking like UW, Montana, and Clemson were the finalists but he opened it to a wider search.

The thing I like about him is he's a true center at 6-11, 220+. Thin, yes, but with potential to add to his frame. And he plays the 5 at both ends - not a Gillmann stretch-type. He does show a mid-range jumper and a step-back shot but is way more interested in playing near the basket than AG. It's rare for freshman centers to play immediately but there's nothing but opportunity for a true big coming into this roster.

-this is from sbnation.com, interesting take on recruiting by Mike Anderson, if this is okay by the NCAA I wonder if our team will be in the first row at a CCP game before their season is over??

Malik Monk is one of the super prospects sitting near the top of the class of 2016 basketball rankings. The 6'3 guard from Arkansas is known as one of the most explosive athletes in the country. You only need to watch one mixtape to find out why.

Monk is the sort of player who attracts attention from every major program, but he's taken on added significance for his hometown Razorbacks. If Arkansas is ever going to be able to compete on a national level, it has to capitalize when a prospect like Monk pops up in its own backyard.

On Monday night, with some time off before his team travels to face South Carolina later in the week, coach Mike Anderson showed just how serious Arkansas is about landing Monk. The entire Razorbacks team showed up and sat in the first row to watch Monk's Bentonville take on Fayetteville High School:

Monk scored 26 points, but his team lost. Still, the sight of all those college basketball players in the front row must have been something to behold.

You might remember Malik's older brother Marcus Monk, who was a wide receiver for the Razorbacks and a seventh-round draft pick in 2008. That would seem to give Arkansas an edge, but of course Kentucky and plenty of others are coming after Monk, too.

If nothing else, Willie Cauley-Stein and Karl Towns aren't showing up to a high school basketball game in the middle of Arkansas. A year from now, we'll see how much that actually matters.

-this is from sbnation.com, interesting take on recruiting by Mike Anderson, if this is okay by the NCAA I wonder if our team will be in the first row at a CCP game before their season is over??

Malik Monk is one of the super prospects sitting near the top of the class of 2016 basketball rankings. The 6'3 guard from Arkansas is known as one of the most explosive athletes in the country. You only need to watch one mixtape to find out why.

Monk is the sort of player who attracts attention from every major program, but he's taken on added significance for his hometown Razorbacks. If Arkansas is ever going to be able to compete on a national level, it has to capitalize when a prospect like Monk pops up in its own backyard.

On Monday night, with some time off before his team travels to face South Carolina later in the week, coach Mike Anderson showed just how serious Arkansas is about landing Monk. The entire Razorbacks team showed up and sat in the first row to watch Monk's Bentonville take on Fayetteville High School:

Monk scored 26 points, but his team lost. Still, the sight of all those college basketball players in the front row must have been something to behold.

You might remember Malik's older brother Marcus Monk, who was a wide receiver for the Razorbacks and a seventh-round draft pick in 2008. That would seem to give Arkansas an edge, but of course Kentucky and plenty of others are coming after Monk, too.

If nothing else, Willie Cauley-Stein and Karl Towns aren't showing up to a high school basketball game in the middle of Arkansas. A year from now, we'll see how much that actually matters.

It would be interesting to see which ones would show up.

Neufeld had a lot of good programs interested - Washington, St. Mary's, Colorado, Clemson, Washington State, and a host of smaller programs. Decision came down to SLU and St. Mary's. For a while, it was looking like UW, Montana, and Clemson were the finalists but he opened it to a wider search.

The thing I like about him is he's a true center at 6-11, 220+. Thin, yes, but with potential to add to his frame. And he plays the 5 at both ends - not a Gillmann stretch-type. He does show a mid-range jumper and a step-back shot but is way more interested in playing near the basket than AG. It's rare for freshman centers to play immediately but there's nothing but opportunity for a true big coming into this roster.

He turns 19 next month. Looks pretty built to me for someone of that height and age. He'll have the summer to bulk up a bit more before next season.

REGa9Xq-.jpeg

He turns 19 next month. Looks pretty built to me for someone of that height and age. He'll have the summer to bulk up a bit more before next season.

Yeah, I think we're in agreement. He's got a solid frame, lot of potential. Won't take as much work to bulk up as a guy like Gillmann.

Williams doesn't seem overly interested in SLU.

http://www.illinoishomepage.net/story/d/story/st-teresas-williams-stock-continues-to-rise/18150/kU810gXrGU-AfVX9toRzJw

DECATUR -- After sitting out the first half of the season, St. Teresa senior Christian Williams' stock continues to rise. The 6-foot-5 shooting guard has multiple Division 1 offers but is holding out for now, hoping to hear from a few more schools before committing.

"Probably going to be late spring," Williams said of his time frame. "I'm planning on playing the spring circuit with the Irish if I don't get any more offers by then. If I do get more offers, I'll probably commit and sign on April 15th on the signing day, but right now I'm just letting it play all out."

Williams currently has offers from Illinois State, Bradley, Northern Illinois, St. Louis and SIU-Edwardsville, among others. St. Teresa coach Tom Noonan praised Williams' recent play after scoring 24 points in the Bulldogs sectional final win over St. Joseph-Ogden.

"He's such a good player," Noonan said. "You don't need to cut him loose at all. He's the man for us right now and he continues to play well."

Didn't someone say a while back this kid's plan was always to hold out for the best offer?

Right now, I'm guessing that's us. But if he gets something bigger and better, he's clearly got no loyalties.

If I was in his position, I'd be doing the same thing. He's holding all the cards right now. A high major may offer after the season is over. If not, he's got decent fallback options.

My question is how long can SLU wait? I really don't think they can go into next year with pretty much the same roster. Williams may be good, but SLU can't be scrambling at the last minute to fill scholarships.

They can wait as long as they need to if they don't have another good prospect willing to commit. If they do they call Williams and tell him they would love him to come, but if he doesn't commit now they are going to give the scholarship to someone else. We can't do the old Soderberg routine if holding out hope until the end and have no back up plan

It's my understanding that the staff is all in on Williams. Obviously there are backup plans but nobody is getting the type of attention he is.

It is also my understanding that finding another 2/3 is the absolute top priority for this staff. They believe we are good enough at the point and at the 4/5. Again, just because something is your priority doesn't mean that you'll end up with it so we could still end up with a PG. But this is just what I've been told.

It's my understanding that the staff is all in on Williams. Obviously there are backup plans but nobody is getting the type of attention he is.

It is also my understanding that finding another 2/3 is the absolute top priority for this staff. They believe we are good enough at the point and at the 4/5. Again, just because something is your priority doesn't mean that you'll end up with it so we could still end up with a PG. But this is just what I've been told.

:blink: