Recruiting - 2016

He can only go to one school, however. So if we're 2-5, what difference does that make? There are no moral victories on the recruiting trail.

SLU should offer Tyler Cook and have a package deal. They win the NCAA, Tatum goes pro & Cook can be a hometown hero for the next 3 years. Sounds good.

Also: I'm still fully prepared to buy For Da-Love or anyone else who thinks Tatum will end up at SLU a round (or eight) at Urban Chestnut if Tatum commits to SLU.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SLU should offer Tyler Cook and have a package deal. They win the NCAA, Tatum goes pro & Cook can be a hometown hero for the next 3 years. Sounds good.

Also: I'm still fully prepared to buy For Da-Love or anyone else who thinks Tatum will end up at SLU a round (or eight) at Urban Chestnut if Tatum commits to SLU.

Well, once Izzo and Matta entered stage right, it's been historically accurate that we exit stage left.

rush_exit_stage_left_35187-3.jpg

Well, once Izzo and Matta entered stage right, it's been historically accurate that we exit stage left.

rush_exit_stage_left_35187-3.jpg

I mean he had already been offered by Bill Self and John Calipari so I don't really think Mich State and OSU change much.

We should indeed offer Cook, Tatum and Will Gladson in my opinion.

I also think we should hire his dad as an assistant.

I can only assume you are joking.

At the end of the day, tatum can go to any school he wants. What gives us a chance is we are the local school and his dad and godfather played there. And he can make the nba as easily from slu as he could any other school. Our chances won't be affected by the other top 10 offers he accumulates...

I get your point, but our chances absolutely will be affected by the other top 10 offers he accumulates

BrianSTL what will we do with this kid's mom if he decides to go elsewhere?

Her position will unfortunately be eliminated in a department restructuring.

More or less what I would have said.

So who's the financier of the SLU Boosters who will be delivering a suitcase of unmarked bills? :)

I get your point, but our chances absolutely will be affected by the other top 10 offers he accumulates

Really? He currently has offers from UK, KU, OSU Florida and Michigan St. Will it really hurt SLU's chances of he also gets offers from Louisville, Duke and North Carolina?

Those schools are all fighting over the 80% of the probability that says he wants to go to a big time school. The other 20% of the potential outcomes is that he wants to stay local and we are battling Mizzou and Illinois to some extent for that portion. I don't believe the 80% number changes just because he gets offers from Louisville, Duke or Carolina.

We should indeed offer Cook, Tatum and Will Gladson in my opinion.

I also think we should hire his dad as an assistant.

I've heard some people say that we already have offered Tatum and Gladson and have floated the idea of adding Cook as a 3-man package deal. Can't confirm, but this has definitely been rumored for months.

Really? He currently has offers from UK, KU, OSU Florida and Michigan St. Will it really hurt SLU's chances of he also gets offers from Louisville, Duke and North Carolina?

Those schools are all fighting over the 80% of the probability that says he wants to go to a big time school. The other 20% of the potential outcomes is that he wants to stay local and we are battling Mizzou and Illinois to some extent for that portion. I don't believe the 80% number changes just because he gets offers from Louisville, Duke or Carolina.

It seems to me that the more options he has it lessens our chances. Much of recruiting is about relationships, the more players involved, the greater the chance that someone just makes him feel like theirs is the place he belongs. JMO

The problem w "package" deals is you end up w the parts you might not have offered if not for the package and not the crown jewel of the deal.

The problem w "package" deals is you end up w the parts you might not have offered if not for the package and not the crown jewel of the deal.

I'd gladly take Gladson and Cook, with or without Tatum. The whole package would make for an incredible class, but if Tatum is going to do his own thing there's still no reason why the other two aren't deserving. Gladson already has a KU offer. Cook should be a solid big.

I would be more worried about hiring someone's dad or AAU coach as an assistant if the kid winds up staying only one year. Then you're stuck with a guy whose primary qualification is no longer relevant.

Agree with pistol, no one should be hired for the purpose of recruiting a kid. If the person to be hired serves a necessary function and is well qualified and expected to do his / her job well, then it is OK to hire them, not just because they happened to have sired a particular athletic prospect.

Agree with pistol, no one should be hired for the purpose of recruiting a kid. If the person to be hired serves a necessary function and is well qualified and expected to do his / her job well, then it is OK to hire them, not just because they happened to have sired a particular athletic prospect.

Generally I agree with this, but I think Justin Tatum could be a successful college assistant. He's young, energetic, and knows the game. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone hire him in the next few years.

Disclaimer: I would want Tatum (or Corey Frazier) as an assistant regardless of who their son is.

Generally I agree with this, but I think Justin Tatum could be a successful college assistant. He's young, energetic, and knows the game. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone hire him in the next few years.

I'll just have to disagree on this one for now.

Another reason to bring Justin Tatum on board is that he would...ahem...diversify the coaching staff.

I'll just have to disagree on this one for now.

Reasons? I know that he was somewhat of a trouble maker in college, but he has matured a lot. And he's been a hell of a high school basketball coach. His players at Soldan played as hard as any high school team you'll see.

Oh, for goodness' sake let's leave this race and color issue out of here. All that really matters is how good they are and how well they do their jobs.

I agree that "how good they are and how well they do their jobs" is all that should matter. The reality is in basketball you are recruiting and then teaching a large number of players from a certain demographic and it would probably help to have at least one guy from that demographic on staff. People relate better to those who are similar (or are perceived to be similar) to them.