Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy Williams was in the house to watch CCP beat SLUH. Tatum had 32.

Tatum takes an official visit to Duke on 2/28.

Tyler Cook just visited Iowa. He just watched Mizzou play alongside Kevin Puryear and Michael Porter, Jr.

Today's game on ESPNU is against Paul VI from Fairfax, VA. If people recognize the name of that school, it's probably because SLU recruited a player there last year named Quadree Smith. The event is called the Spalding Hoophall Classic, and features 5 top-25 national programs, as well as the nation's top rated senior, Ben Simmons, and loads of other big-time players.

-Quadree Smith is no longer playing for Paul VI

Here's another story about FBJT's recruiting where he mentions SLU again. This was published yesterday...

And then of course, there’s his hometown St. Louis University. Tatum has some pretty real connections to SLU, other than the fact that he lives nearby.

“(The pull is) pretty strong,” admitted Tatum of being a Billiken. “They’ve been recruiting me for awhile and obviously my mom went to law school at SLU, my dad played at SLU and I’m the hometown kid. I know how much it would mean to the city if I stayed.”

Cheeseman, I wrote a multi paragraph rebuttal to this post and then took it down because I do not think this has much to do with basketball. The point of my prior post, the one you quoted and rebutted, was the analogy or similarity between Pharma funding the development of multiple drug candidates, many of which will never become drugs, and the process of spending money recruiting high level basketball prospects, even when the staff realizes that many of these prospects may not opt to come to SLU.

NIH is plainly not in the business of developing new drugs per se. However, and just to make you happy, I will agree that NIH does provide the bulk of the funding for academic medical research centers and the work they do.

I see no reason to continue this discussion about almighty NIH funding all kinds of basic academic research and researchers, most of which produces very little that is usable in developing new drugs; or discuss any further who does the heavy work in the creation of new drugs, academics or pharma. Yes, these are fascinating topics and I am sure you have a vested interest in them, but other than making the analogy I quoted above between funding new drug research and funding basketball prospects recruitment, i think this topic has no meaning or application to basketball or the Bills. There is, therefore, no need to discuss this matter further.

I also wrote a multiparagraph response but decided that carrying on this discussion has nothing to do with basketball - wait, then why did you bring it up? If you are going to use examples to make a point, then expect someone to do a rebuttal. By the way,everybody knows that every kid you recruit and spend assets on to do so you will not get.

Anyone know much about this Mike Lewis kid?

I have been to a handful of Chaminade games this year. Mike Lewis is a nice player, but he is a scoring guard in a point guard body and he doesn't have the ball skills to play point and is not a talented enough scorer to make up for his lack of size. I would call him a low mid major level player. His performance the other day should get him some increased interest from college programs.

I have been to a handful of Chaminade games this year. Mike Lewis is a nice player, but he is a scoring guard in a point guard body and he doesn't have the ball skills to play point and is not a talented enough scorer to make up for his lack of size. I would call him a low mid major level player. His performance the other day should get him some increased interest from college programs.

What do you think about the Hellems kid?

What do you think about the Hellems kid?

I am definitely interested in watching his development. He is already 6'6 and is more of a perimeter type player with a solid skill set (similar game to Tatum, but not saying he is at that level). He does not appear to be a big time athlete at this point. I would not say he is a kid SLU needs to be pursuing at this point, but worth tracking and that won't be too difficult since we are recruiting two of his teammates.

I was talking about Lewis not Mcbroom.

Just this from the school's website:

14 Brenden Gillmann SG So. 6-3 135

He's Austin's brother. Was on the top 10 AAU under-14 team last year from Southwest Illinois.

I work with a woman who had a son on Oakville's team last year. For what it's worth, she claims Brenden will be a much better college player than Austin. Her son is playing D3 out-of-state somewhere this year.

He's Austin's brother. Was on the top 10 AAU under-14 team last year from Southwest Illinois.

I work with a woman who had a son on Oakville's team last year. For what it's worth, she claims Brenden will be a much better college player than Austin. Her son is playing D3 out-of-state somewhere this year.

Doing a quick search, Brenden Gillmann is averaging 4.4 points on 41% shooting and 1.1 rebounds as a 6'3 135 lb freshman.