Time to clean up the posts

Steve will do what he thinks is best and that works for me.

Guess I'm in the minority on this one, but none of the language issues bug me. I also have a daughter and I'm not bothered by the posts AF is referring to. I get a good laugh out of most of the stuff, yet I'm still able to teach/raise my daughter how I think is best.

It's a message board, not a church. I think some shouldn't be so thin-skinned. But then again, not much bothers me on this board in terms of the content of posts outside a few things (e.g. harsh personal insults about a SLU player, racist posts).

Moy - I can also raise my daughter how I think is best, however, I do get offended when I see and read some of the stuff about teenage and slightly older girls who are my daughter's age. I think some of the pictures and comments are disrespectful toward women and they are creepy when you have middle aged guys ogling 17 year old cheerleaders. We cannot control society's behavior, but the board moderators can make a decision to set some minimum levels for the board. It's up to them, although the rest of us could certainly be more conscientious of what we post as well.

You have stated the things that offend you. Others have stated some of the things that offend them. There is probably plenty of overlap. But the reality is, most of us find certain things offensive. I just wonder if it is that hard for people NOT to offend each other.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moy - I can also raise my daughter how I think is best, however, I do get offended when I see and read some of the stuff about teenage and slightly older girls who are my daughter's age. I think some of the pictures and comments are disrespectful toward women and they are creepy when you have middle aged guys ogling 17 year old cheerleaders. We cannot control society's behavior, but the board moderators can make a decision to set some minimum levels for the board. It's up to them, although the rest of us could certainly be more conscientious of what we post as well.

You have stated the things that offend you. Others have stated some of the things that offend them. There is probably plenty of overlap. But the reality is, most of us find certain things offensive. I just wonder if it is that hard for people NOT to offend each other.

Fair points, AF. I think it probably is that hard for 100s of people not to offend someone in that group somehow.

I don't think the language issue is as big as other potentially offensive things, but that is just one person's opinion. To each their own.

I would also like to add the following:

--that posters refrain from using first and last initials when referring to players. It takes us old billikenheads several hours to read through posts when we have to research who the initials are referring to.

--also, I've noticed several posts with, +1. I'm still researching this and have been for the last couple years but what I have learned is 1, sometimes referred to as unity, is the integer before two and after zero. 1 is the first non-zero number in the natural numbers, as well as the first odd number in the natural numbers. Any number multiplied by 1 is that number, as 1 is the identity for multiplication. As a result, 1 is its own factorial, its own square, its own cube, and so on. 1 is also the empty product, as any number multiplied by 1 is itself. Therefore when responding to a post with +1, one is stating that they enjoyed the poster's post and would like to let the original poster and all forum readers know that they enjoyed the post and would like to demand an encore, or additional post or posts by the original poster regarding the original post the poster was posting about. Can someone help me understand this if I am wrong? Thanks.

--basically all these abbreviations are getting in the way of my performance at the work place and I would appreciate the help from all posters to cut that poopoo out. Thanks.

I'm sure you're just joking, but "+1" just means, "I agree."

Its not an outrageous request.

I am trying to figure out what to do with the recruiting thread. I don't mind off-topic banter, but if someone actually wants to get recruiting information, they have to go through a lot of off-topic posts...

Thank you!!!

I don't take any offense to any of it and in general, i should take the most. I also have pretty thick skin though.... its everyone's right to say whatever they want. I do think the off season board is a good way to handle it.

but regardless of what types of nets the mods put up, because of context, you're still gonna know what is meant by #####... Because sometimes, you just want to yell ### and what better place than here, where for the most part, is all grown men (and myself) who can handle it? Id rather see a bunch of random characters put together on the board than most any other way to take out frustration.

I would point out that if the stuff is offensive regarding daughters it is is offensive regarding sons. This double standard is what causes kids to get in trouble and adults for that matter. For those who think it is OK for their son to do this stuff but not their daughters is missing the point - it takes somebody's daughter for somebody's son to do this stuff to. When we take a boys will be boys approach or atta boy that's my son - you end up with rapes taking place and women getting debased and you all know the whatevers. I am have both a daughter and a son and honestly, I would not want my son doing anything that I would not be willing to accept from my daughter - for me I am not a prude nor am I naive to think that girls are not as nasty as boys at times - they are but the point is we do have to make sure we are not giving a wink wink and nod to bad behavior for boys and then get all upset when they they step over the line. So for those of you saying "I have daughters and this stuff is offensive because of that" are missing the real point and I would suggest you think a bit less old fashion and more up to date regarding how things really are.

I would point out that if the stuff is offensive regarding daughters it is is offensive regarding sons. This double standard is what causes kids to get in trouble and adults for that matter. For those who think it is OK for their son to do this stuff but not their daughters is missing the point - it takes somebody's daughter for somebody's son to do this stuff to. When we take a boys will be boys approach or atta boy that's my son - you end up with rapes taking place and women getting debased and you all know the whatevers. I am have both a daughter and a son and honestly, I would not want my son doing anything that I would not be willing to accept from my daughter - for me I am not a prude nor am I naive to think that girls are not as nasty as boys at times - they are but the point is we do have to make sure we are not giving a wink wink and nod to bad behavior for boys and then get all upset when they they step over the line. So for those of you saying "I have daughters and this stuff is offensive because of that" are missing the real point and I would suggest you think a bit less old fashion and more up to date regarding how things really are.

That's your opinion. I have a daughter and two sons. I don't see nearly as much (if any) sexually offensive stuff towards boys as I do girls in some posts here. I certainly would not tolerate behavior from my sons that is offensive just as I would not want my daughter being subjected to such behavior, and vice versa. This has NOTHING to do with being "old fashion"; it's just basic respect. Some people have different standards than others. Maybe it will be decided that the standard for this board is lower than some would like. If so, so be it - it's not my board. I would just like to see people participate with some regard toward the feelings and sensitivities of others, regardless of gender.

Off topic separate board is the best idea. I think politics shouldn't be banned from that. In general this board is full of people interested in the st louis and Missouri region. More specifically midtown. If there's a relevant political discussion to be had an off topic board wouldn't be a terrible place to discuss. Obviously up to Steve about how difficult that would be to moderate so I'd defer to him.but that's my 2 cents

Off topic separate board is the best idea. I think politics shouldn't be banned from that. In general this board is full of people interested in the st louis and Missouri region. More specifically midtown. If there's a relevant political discussion to be had an off topic board wouldn't be a terrible place to discuss. Obviously up to Steve about how difficult that would be to moderate so I'd defer to him.but that's my 2 cents

Not sure if you were around for the "political" discussion in 2000, but it almost destroyed the board and there are several who clearly have not forgotten and still harbor bad feelings. I like the idea of a separate board, but believe that if politics are allowed, it will create very unfortunate divisions that will, and have, flowed thru to the true Billiken basketball discussion. Those who have been on the board since that time know what I am talking about.

I don't mind the language or references but if guys like Willie, AlumniFan and others who hare valued posters here object then I see no problem making a stricter filter or enforcing more appropriate posts.

Joined in 2008.So yeah I missed it, obviously id defer to you guys. National politics really wouldn't have a place here. And unfortunately I think moderation would be incredibly difficult

No, I think Steve thought it was a lot of fun to moderate, right Steve? ?

That's your opinion. I have a daughter and two sons. I don't see nearly as much (if any) sexually offensive stuff towards boys as I do girls in some posts here. I certainly would not tolerate behavior from my sons that is offensive just as I would not want my daughter being subjected to such behavior, and vice versa. This has NOTHING to do with being "old fashion"; it's just basic respect. Some people have different standards than others. Maybe it will be decided that the standard for this board is lower than some would like. If so, so be it - it's not my board. I would just like to see people participate with some regard toward the feelings and sensitivities of others, regardless of gender.

That was my the point of my post.

No, I think Steve thought it was a lot of fun to moderate, right Steve?

We are not making an off-topic board again. I have debated allowing an off-topic "thread" that would receive light moderation.

(I nor other moderators are going to moderate an off topic board....that was a disaster)

We are not making an off-topic board again. I have debated allowing an off-topic "thread" that would receive light moderation.

(I nor other moderators are going to moderate an off topic board....that was a disaster)

The off-topic board was awesome! How long ago was that Board?

I totally understand not bringing it back though.

Can the purpose of this board be fulfilled without the unwanted (acknowledged only by a certain percentage) language? The answer is simple. For those who can't control their language start another board.

What is one expressing about one's self when they can't exist without foul language?

Can the purpose of this board be fulfilled without the unwanted (acknowledged only by a certain percentage) language? The answer is simple. For those who can't control their language start another board.

for those who can't control their inability to stop sucking off valpo like a deer-eyed trailer tramp, start another board.

or those that object could go elsewhere. there is a lot worse on the internet than billikens.com.

for those pining for an off topic board, i was right in the middle fighting the good fight for the conservative cause, and i can assure you it was a disaster. i am convinced a lot of the slaps i take yet today, are because of lingering feelings about my political beliefs as much as whatever subject i am posting about. no we do not need an off topic board. ever again.

for those that want to go off topic and discuss everything and anything, i suggest http://tippingpitchers.com/ the lounge.

or those that object could go elsewhere. there is a lot worse on the internet than billikens.com.

for those pining for an off topic board, i was right in the middle fighting the good fight for the conservative cause, and i can assure you it was a disaster. i am convinced a lot of the slaps i take yet today, are because of lingering feelings about my political beliefs as much as whatever subject i am posting about. no we do not need an off topic board. ever again.

for those that want to go off topic and discuss everything and anything, i suggest http://tippingpitchers.com/ the lounge.

roy, there are plenty of conservatives on this board who think some of your basketball posts are WAY off, especially when it comes to your thoughts about the RM era, so don't act like you're some kind of victim of political persecution.