Recruiting - 2014

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen, Franchise.

I love the Welmer signing. If a kid has offers, but decides to go to prep school, like Jolly, it means he wants to play on a higher level. If a kid commits to SLU 18 months before he steps on campus, it means he really wants to come here.

What could change? A lot. Early commitments don't always work out. Maybe SLU will send signals if they don't like his improvement. Maybe a place like Indiana start recruiting him. But the fact is, as of right now, he wanted to commit to SLU rather than keep looking. It says something about the staff's ability to sell. It also means they can concentrate on other areas, or be a little more picky, knowing one player has made a verbal pledge.

A year ago, this team was trying to scramble to cobble together a class of 2013. Now, they're basically done with 2014 and going hard after 2015. That is mighty impressive.

All reports are that Brett Jolly looks DRASTICALLY improved at his prep school. I am very, very excited about the Jolly signing. Had he not signed with us early, I would expect that the BCS offers would start in full storm right about now.

Evan Daniels, the lead basketball recruiting analyst for scout.com, had this to say about Jolly after a recent performance:

"St. Louis has a physical and productive big man headed their way. Jolly, a native of Texas, aggressively carved out position on the block and was efficient when he got touches. He showed good hands, a go-to right jump hook and a desire to rebound. Jolly scored 16 points on 6-for-8 shooting and reeled in seven rebounds in Blair’s win over Tilton."

Jerry Meyer, the head analyst for 247sports basketball recruiting, added, "St. Louis recruit Brett Jolly is a rarity as a post player who really knows how to operate in the low post."

In regards to the other players in the class, Roby and Reynolds are both starting guards for programs ranked within the top 10 in the country. Marcus Bartley was a huge pick-up who I expect to come in and compete for a starting job next year.

If we've learned anything so far in this season, it is that SLU is short on big guards. I think it's safe to say that won't be a problem next year. Roby and Bartley have both been described as guards who, while listed at 6'4", can somewhat handle point guard responsibilities. Reynolds has been described as a shooter and defender, and he stands 6'2".

Lastly, there is Austin Gillmann. I am still high on this signing and definitely expect Gillmann to redshirt next year, which would balance the classes, separate him from Jolly, and allow him another year to add muscle.

Anyone who read my posts on this board know that I not only follow our recruiting closely, but I'm willing to say if I feel like we are coming up short in recruiting. I was also skeptical of Crews as a recruiter. But in his first class he added a pair of PFs with different skill sets and a wing player who can supposedly really shoot it. He followed that up with a class of big combo guards who can defend/get to the rim and two centers who can play with their back to the basket. Couldn't have asked for much more out of Crews and staff than that, in my book.

Now let's add either 1) a lights-out shooter 2) an talented and athletic wing or 3) a proven transfer to fill the final scholarship.

In regards to the other players in the class, Roby and Reynolds are both starting guards for programs ranked within the top 10 in the country. Marcus Bartley was a huge pick-up who I expect to come in and compete for a starting job next year.

If we've learned anything so far in this season, it is that SLU is short on big guards. I think it's safe to say that won't be a problem next year. Roby and Bartley have both been described as guards who, while listed at 6'4", can somewhat handle point guard responsibilities. Reynolds has been described as a shooter and defender, and he stands 6'2".

Lastly, there is Austin Gillmann. I am still high on this signing and definitely expect Gillmann to redshirt next year, which would balance the classes, separate him from Jolly, and allow him another year to add muscle.

Anyone who read my posts on this board know that I not only follow our recruiting closely, but I'm willing to say if I feel like we are coming up short in recruiting. I was also skeptical of Crews as a recruiter. But in his first class he added a pair of PFs with different skill sets and a wing player who can supposedly really shoot it. He followed that up with a class of big combo guards who can defend/get to the rim and two centers who can play with their back to the basket. Couldn't have asked for much more out of Crews and staff than that, in my book.

Now let's add either 1) a lights-out shooter 2) an talented and athletic wing or 3) a proven transfer to fill the final scholarship.

Me thinks #2 and #3 will be handled with the same player from Notre Dame. Not sure he's #1 yet but maybe that will come.

Me thinks #2 and #3 will be handled with the same player from Notre Dame. Not sure he's #1 yet but maybe that will come.

Why do you think he stayed for the time being then? It seems to me if he really wanted to transfer then last summer and before the season would have been the ideal times. Not to mention Notre Dame's top three scorers are all seniors. If Biedcheid felt his role in the offense wasn't big enough, it's sure to get much larger next year.

Just curious what makes you so confident.

EDIT: Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Biedscheid still have to sit out a year, making it two years in a row he would've had to sit out. And if i'm not mistaken (which I could be), he would also forfeit a year of eligibility.

But in his first class he added a pair of PFs with different skill sets and a wing player who can supposedly really shoot it. He followed that up with a class of big combo guards who can defend/get to the rim and two centers who can play with their back to the basket. Couldn't have asked for much more out of Crews and staff than that, in my book.

Don't forget about Ash.

Why do you think he stayed for the time being then? It seems to me if he really wanted to transfer then last summer and before the season would have been the ideal times. Not to mention Notre Dame's top three scorers are all seniors. If Biedcheid felt his role in the offense wasn't big enough, it's sure to get much larger next year.

Just curious what makes you so confident.

EDIT: Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Biedscheid still have to sit out a year, making it two years in a row he would've had to sit out. And if i'm not mistaken (which I could be), he would also forfeit a year of eligibility.

If the transferred before 2nd semester this year then he would have to sit out spring 2014 and fall 2014. He would be eligible to play spring 2015 as a red-shirt sophomore and would run out of eligibility spring 2017.

He is definitely still a possibility but of course its partly wishful thinking on my part. Once he went back to school in the fall, the most logical thing to do would be to get through the entire fall semester if he wants to transfer. No need to leave the team, academic resources, etc. by announcing you want to transfer mid-semester.

He could be eligible to play starting in mid-December of 2014 as a sophomore. He'd miss about 10-11 games depending on when our semester ends.

If he can hit the OPEN jumper like he did in high school, then he will be a lights out shooter. He was one of the most accurate shooters I have ever seen and I have watched high school ball in St. Louis since 1964. Like Beal accurate. I know it was high school but an open shot is an open shot. (Unfortunately it seems many players seem to lose their shooting accuracy when they come to SLU).

+1 to everything you wrote

Nice to see Scout raise Brett Jolly to a 3 star. Yes, I know these ratings don't always mean much, but it shows that Jolly is catching the attention of some folks even after signing with SLU. Normally if a kid signs with SLU his ratings don't rise.

Nice to see Scout raise Brett Jolly to a 3 star. Yes, I know these ratings don't always mean much, but it shows that Jolly is catching the attention of some folks even after signing with SLU. Normally if a kid signs with SLU his ratings don't rise.

That and that he's improving, which is even better

Maybe Crews wants Welmer to go to prep school to work on his game, but also to save a scholarship for Biedscheid? Of course that is wishful thinking on my part as well

Yes. Wishful thinking. SLU is not that great of a program that we could tell a good player to prep school b/c we don't have any more scholarships left for this year (especially when we still do!!). Upon further thought, even the elite schools (pick your choice of KU, Duke, KY, etc. ) couldn't tell a kid to go to prep school to wait for a scholarship next year. No doubt a kid might prefer a certain school, just for example assume his preference is Duke, but if no availability left at Duke, then he will simply go to UNC, KU, Kentucky -- and not prep school.

Kids go to prep school b/c they want to improve themselves: to add extra year of maturity, development, growth, strength, to improve a weakness in their game, to improve their grades which otherwise would not be qualifying, etc. Welmer most likely is choosing for one of these reasons.

Yes. Wishful thinking. SLU is not that great of a program that we could tell a good player to prep school b/c we don't have any more scholarships left for this year (especially when we still do!!). Upon further thought, even the elite schools (pick your choice of KU, Duke, KY, etc. ) couldn't tell a kid to go to prep school to wait for a scholarship next year. No doubt a kid might prefer a certain school, just for example assume his preference is Duke, but if no availability left at Duke, then he will simply go to UNC, KU, Kentucky -- and not prep school.

Kids go to prep school b/c they want to improve themselves: to add extra year of maturity, development, growth, strength, to improve a weakness in their game, to improve their grades which otherwise would not be qualifying, etc. Welmer most likely is choosing for one of these reasons.

All makes sense

I don't think that is right. I think you can tell a fringe player (for whatever level you are at) to go to a prep school because there isn't any availability right now. Doesn't mean the kid will do it but you can ask him too. That is almost certainly what is happening to Ronnie Suggs with Mizzou and most likely is what is happening with Welmer. The reasons the kid will agree are indeed because they want to add maturity, development, etc. but it almost certainly is at the request of the team. I do agree that if Suggs or Welmer had offers from comparable programs to start in 2014 they likely wouldn't be going the prep school route. But they didn't.

The big danger with this route is that you find a hidden gem, try to stash him in a prep school and he has an incredible senior year of highschool before he signs his LOI. At that point, comparable schools will start recruiting him and tell him to skip the prep school route and come to their school right away.

That and that he's improving, which is even better

I know that Jolly's prep school won their game at a big showcase over Tilton (NH) which has had a lot of top 10 recruits the last few years (Nerlens Noel, Wayne Selden, etc) although may not be all that this year. It is not too likely but I could goseeJollyplay next weekend.

I don't think that is right. I think you can tell a fringe player (for whatever level you are at) to go to a prep school because there isn't any availability right now. Doesn't mean the kid will do it but you can ask him too. That is almost certainly what is happening to Ronnie Suggs with Mizzou and most likely is what is happening with Welmer. The reasons the kid will agree are indeed because they want to add maturity, development, etc. but it almost certainly is at the request of the team. I do agree that if Suggs or Welmer had offers from comparable programs to start in 2014 they likely wouldn't be going the prep school route. But they didn't.

The big danger with this route is that you find a hidden gem, try to stash him in a prep school and he has an incredible senior year of highschool before he signs his LOI. At that point, comparable schools will start recruiting him and tell him to skip the prep school route and come to their school right away.

But there is availability right now. And that's where it becomes a bit slippery. You aren't asking a kid to go because you have no room, you're asking him to go because you don't believe he's good enough yet for the scholarship you have

I think it's a probably a combination of both. The kid wasn't getting the level of offers he wanted. He liked SLU and SLU had shown interest. They discussed it and SLU decided they would offer if he went, which worked out well for the player also. He goes to the school he wanted and SLU gets tghe extra year of development. He probably has a list of the things SLU believes he needs to work on.

Yes you can tell a kid to do that - schools do it all the time for football - the problem is once the kid gets to the JUCO and the time comes for him to sign - even if you helped place him - he has no expectation on his part to sign with you. So, it is a bit of a crap shoot for the school and I guess for the kid also.