Recruiting - 2014

What ACE said.

Taj, if you've been reading the thread, you will have noticed that many, many times I have remarked that this list is not a 100% accurate representation of the players we are recruiting currently. This list is a compilation of the players we have shown interest in at one time or another or offered at any time during the recruiting process. So many of the offers are "stale" - no longer valid - and we've moved on from many of the guys who we were tracking or interested in at some point.

Actually, this brings up an idea. I might go through for each player and add a note in italics about the current status for each, or my best approximation of it. Because your point is valid - there are a lot of names on this list and only 1 spot to give. Give me a little time to work on that format and I'll try to have something later today.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pistol's work is awesome. The flaw mentioned above by Taj is a general flaw in knowledge about "offers" that derives from places like Verbal Commits.

It's just not in the school's or player's interest to update an offer withdrawn. At best there's a whisper campaign that the team has "cooled off."

I'm sure that Quadree Smith no longer has an offer he can cash in, like a chip in Vegas discovered in an old pair of jeans. Likewise, they're not taking another smallish guard. They'll either take a 2/3 or a 3/4, unless somebody like Welsh has a Billiken appear in his dream and wants to come.

But this is all just reasonable thinking from a fan, and is a different form of information that the "updates" Pistol provides so reliably.

I updated the list with my own impression - which may or may not be correct - of where each guy stands with SLU and in general. Let me know if you guys think that format makes sense or if you'd like to see that presented another way.

I updated the list with my own impression - which may or may not be correct - of where each guy stands with SLU and in general. Let me know if you guys think that format makes sense or if you'd like to see that presented another way.

-thanks Pistol, fantastic work on this, kudos

Good work and the comments do help. You could basically erase most of the names on that list at this point and focus primarily on McCaw. Some new names will also likely emerge soon and I would expect most of them to be small forwards.

Pat McCaw likely is waiting until the Spring. Hopefully that gives Reynolds enough time to work on him.

While that might be helpful, I think us having a great year is more important. Kids want to go to a winner and be a part of winning, generally. If we can show we are a big time program it will help recruiting, especially STL kids who over the past 10 years or so have shunned SLU for bigger, out of town schools. Another really good year and we will become the cool place to go for locals, not the 2nd or 3rd choice.

Also, Pistol I agree that it is time to just delete some of the names; eg Patterson and Welsh, to clean up the list. No reason to have many of the names on your list.

Also, one suggestion. I would like to be able to see the write-ups you had when our verbals announced including any new info/links. This would be of more interest to me than a bunch of guys we no longer are recruiting.

Agasin thanks for all your hard work on this project.

Also, Pistol I agree that it is time to just delete some of the names; eg Patterson and Welsh, to clean up the list. No reason to have many of the names on your list.

Also, one suggestion. I would like to be able to see the write-ups you had when our verbals announced including any new info/links. This would be of more interest to me than a bunch of guys we no longer are recruiting.

My system so far has been to not delete any names until we're officially out of the running- e.g. he commits somewhere else, creates a top five we're not in, etc. If I were to delete the name and we somehow get back in the running, I'd have to go back and find it and these take a little time to put together. The other reason I leave them in is that it gives me (and whoever else is interested) the ability to see what guys we have recruited end up doing- whether they wind up not being high-level recruits, whether they chase bigger-name BCS programs, whatever. So I don't agree that there's "no reason," even if we're 99.9% sure the kid isn't going with us.

Also, I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean on the second point- does that mean you'd like to see the guys who have committed to us included in the list?

I think Pistol's work and system are great. I was not knocking that aspect of this post/thread. I was just pointing out we have an overabundance of guards on the list. I like ACE's comment of new names appearing soon on the list as well. I like comparing things from this to Verbal Commits and vice a versa. Just dying for some info as we move into the preseason.

My desires have not changed. I still like to get a 3/4 player in the fold as well this signing period. I'm in no position to bad mouth McCaw and am not doing so. Just stating a desire on my part. I really wanted Mayimba or Martin but so it goes. We were close.

I think Pistol's system works just fine, as long as we understand that some of the information is dated. I agree with not taking a kid off the list who has an offer or interest, just because we assume they are off the radar. If we start doing that, we interject opinion into what is just supposed to be information. I would rather have the entire list, even with old information, than start debating about who shouldn't be on there.

Great work, Pistol. Please keep it up.

I think Pistol's work and system are great. I was not knocking that aspect of this post/thread. I was just pointing out we have an overabundance of guards on the list. I like ACE's comment of new names appearing soon on the list as well. I like comparing things from this to Verbal Commits and vice a versa. Just dying for some info as we move into the preseason.

My desires have not changed. I still like to get a 3/4 player in the fold as well this signing period. I'm in no position to bad mouth McCaw and am not doing so. Just stating a desire on my part. I really wanted Mayimba or Martin but so it goes. We were close.

Unless we can get McCaw or some other top 150 SF, I have no desire to fill the 6th scholarship this fall. I think there is too much value in having one scholarship available for the spring. It could be used for a high caliber transfer or to best fill a need in the spring. We proved last year we could fill 3 schollys in the spring with high caliber players, I'm not sure why having one would be a bad thing at all.

Unless we can get McCaw or some other top 150 SF, I have no desire to fill the 6th scholarship this fall. I think there is too much value in having one scholarship available for the spring. It could be used for a high caliber transfer or to best fill a need in the spring. We proved last year we could fill 3 schollys in the spring with high caliber players, I'm not sure why having one would be a bad thing at all.

Agreed. McCaw or BCS transfer.

We are in a good spot and agree that we can be very selective with the last scholarship. Right now I would target McCaw and a few other quality 3 type players of similar ability. If nothing materializes this fall, don't force it. Plenty of time to work on getting somebody good in the spring. We are also in a great spot to really start to put a lot of our recruiting efforts into the class of 2015.

I probably don't have time to set this up now. But if Pistol would like, I could set up a Wiki for 2015 recruits, and a lot of information can be stored there. And then threads like this could have links to the Wiki.

I found this list on Rivals that had a few names not included on the list in here. I haven't been on here in months, so I'm not sure if some of these guys have been eliminated from SLU's interest list, but I figured I'd post it just in case...

Position Name Location Ht Wt 40 Stars Rivals Rating Rank School

G C.J. Davis Queens, New YorkArchbishop Molloy 6'0" N/A N/A N/A N/A

F Quadree Smith Fairfax, VirginiaPaul VI 6'7" N/A N/A N/A N/A
G Miles Reynolds Chicago, IllinoisWhitney Young 6'2" 165 N/A 3 stars N/A N/AG Shavar Newkirk Bronx, New YorkCardinal Hayes 5'11" 175 N/A 3 stars N/A N/AC Thomas Welsh Los Angeles, CaliforniaLoyola 7'0" 240 N/A 4 stars N/A N/AC Brett Jolly Blairstown, New JerseyBlair Academy 6'10" 220 N/A N/A N/AG Corey Henderson Dallas, TexasEpiscopal School Of Dallas 6'3" N/A N/A 3 stars N/A N/AC David Wacker Universal City, TexasJudson 6'9" 230 N/A 3 stars N/A N/AC Ben Lammers San Antonio, TexasAlamo Heights 6'10" 220 N/A 3 stars N/A N/AF Tory Miller New Hampton, New HampshireNew Hampton Prep 6'8" 247 N/A 3 stars N/A N/AC Bryce Cashman Weston, MissouriWest Platte 6'10" 225 N/A N/A N/AF Kelan Martin Louisville, KentuckyBallard 6'5" 185 N/A 3 stars N/A N/AC Jacob Hammond Oklahoma City, OklahomaComanche 6'10" 230 N/A 3 stars N/A N/AF Kevin Thomas Midland, TexasMidland College 6'9" 240 N/A N/A N/AC Sean O'Mara Lisle, IllinoisBenet Academy 6'9" 220 N/A 3 stars N/A N/AF Markell Lodge Creedmoor, North CarolinaChristian Faith Center Academy 6'6" 205 N/A 3 stars N/A N/AF Michael Finke Champaign, IllinoisCentennial 6'9" 200 N/A 3 stars N/A N/AF Tevin Glass Niceville, FloridaNorthwest Florida State College 6'8" 220 N/A N/A N/AG Joe Thomasson Sedalia, MissouriState Fair C.C. 6'4" 165 N/A N/A N/AG Marcus Bartley Decatur, IllinoisMacarthur 6'3" 175 N/A 3 stars N/A N/AG J.P. Macura Lakeville, MinnesotaLakeville North 6'4" N/A N/A 4 stars N/A N/AF Jordan Barnett St. Louis, MissouriChristian Brothers College High 6'7" 180 N/A 4 stars N/A N/AF Andre Walker Clarksburg, MarylandBullis School 6'10" 210 N/A 3 stars N/A N/AG C.J. Rivers Cahokia, IllinoisCahokia 6'2" N/A N/A N/A N/AF Darius Austin Cahokia, IllinoisCahokia 6'6" N/A N/A N/A N/AF Mack Mercer Plymouth, IndianaPlymouth 6'9" 220 N/A 3 stars N/A N/AG Deshon Portley Cheyenne, WyomingLaramie County C.C. 6'1" 180 N/A N/A N/AG Davell Roby Memphis, TennesseeWhite Station 6'3" 180 N/A 3 stars N/A N/AC Austin Gillmann Oakville, MissouriOakville 6'10" 195 N/A 2 stars N/A N/AG Tyrone Taylor Grandview, MissouriGrandview 6'3" 170 N/A 3 stars N/A N/AG Darreon Reddick Belleville, IllinoisBelleville East 6'3" N/A N/A N/A N/AG Jordan Furlow Elkhart, IndianaSpeedway 5'11" 170 N/A N/A N/AG Patrick McCaw St. Louis, MissouriChristian Brothers College High 6'5" 180 N/A 3 stars N/A N/A
G Anthony Pate New Hampton, New HampshireNew Hampton Prep 6'3" 190 N/A N/A N/A

@BWeixScout: Hearing that 2014 Pat McCaw and Ray Doby are heading to the East Coast. Transferring to Montrose Christian (MD).

-----

Probably not good news but who knows.

I thought McCaw just transferred to play for his dad?!

Montrose is where Mayimba played before transferring to Saint James School this past summer. Very high-level program, even after the coaching change.

Writing on the wall: neither McCaw nor Doby were going to get a hardship waiver and therefore would both be ineligible this season.

If McCaw doesn't want to sign in November, this is bad news for us. A whole new set of programs is going to see him at a high-profile HS program, and he should be one of the better spring recruits available. Keeping in mind he was a top 100 player at one time, he'll be in the top 100 available in the spring for sure.

I probably don't have time to set this up now. But if Pistol would like, I could set up a Wiki for 2015 recruits, and a lot of information can be stored there. And then threads like this could have links to the Wiki.

yeah-i-m-listening-o.gif

I'm listening.

I'm interested to see an example of what you have in mind and how it'd all tie together. Sounds like a good idea to me.