No news is good news?

slu72

I certainly understand that there is sensitive information some people might have, and that it can't be shared in specific terms. I was an "insider" for this program for years and didn't join this board until I was a year removed from that, and still don't share everything I saw and heard. I read billikens.com every once in a while during that time and saw plenty of misinformation and plenty more misinformed opinions. But it wouldn't have done anyone any good for me to jump in, assure everyone I knew what I was talking about, and then tell them, "I can't say who I am or why this is wrong, but it is."

I appreciate Billikan's position and insight and general positivity, but it doesn't look good to come in and in the vaguest terms contradict people who are pointing to actual evidence and events and voicing very legitimate concerns, and then call them names for disagreeing or asking for more. It just isn't fair to anyone. Plus, he's not actually sharing real information. He's not breaking anything. He's using his insider position - which many of us have assumed is legitimate - to reassure us that everything is cool without ever elaborating. I'm a natural skeptic and can't help but face that with skepticism; sure, boosters are going to hear things before the rest of us but isn't it also in the best interest of the athletic department to paint the rosiest picture possible along with whatever information they get right before the rest of us? They're never going to badmouth management, despite what the rest of us are seeing take place.

Whenever I first see information on the program broken, it's not from boosters- it's either on here or on Twitter.

this post is right on the mark. if you arent willing to share the truth, then stay out of it.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that often times it's not what you say, but how you say it, even on an internet board. It's difficult to tell where the name calling started and clearly it ended up on both sides. And you are also right that it is fair to question some information, especially when it is a new poster who no one knows and who does not yet have a reliable reputation on the board. Again, it's how you question that poster that is important.

I just wish that some of the newer posters would spend more time getting to know other posters before jumping on those who are trying to provide info that is not readily available. That, essentially, has been my point all along. For the two of us, having been around for over a decade, we tend to know who to trust and who not to trust. Newer posters should take the time to do the same. It would simply make the board better for everyone. Maybe I'm just Billy Mumphrey....

To me the difficulty was that it was Billikan profusely questioning anyone commenting, rather than anyone questioning Billikan's information. In this case, what information?

I agree with you in general, but you have to realize that there are times where information is shared that cannot be relayed in detail, so the information comes out in very general terms. There have been times where I have been told not to worry about something without a lot of detail and, based on the source, I feel much better about the situation. I appreciate that. Now, if I am worried about my job and my teenage daughter says, "Don't worry Dad, everything will be fine" while I appreciate her concern, it does nothing to alleviate my worries. If someone in a position to know however, says not to worry, then I am going to feel better.

I would rather have someone like Billikan, who I know is definitely well-connected, come here and tell me not to worry than to sit here and worry. I just don't have the dying need to know all of the details. I get that for some people that's not enough, but to then attack the guy for telling us not to worry just alienates him so that those of us who appreciate his posts and insight now don't receive it even though we didn't do anything to cause him to go away. Doesn't that make sense? It's the old saying that one person can ruin it for everyone else. If a person doesn't like what Billikan has to say USE THE IGNORE FUNCTION! Don't ruin it for those who appreciate his input.

All that said, when people start name calling, it never ends well. And I have been guilty too so I am certainly not saying I haven't been at fault in the past myself.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Billikan? What makes him an insider? I'm not being snide; I really don't know. And that's one of the problems with a message board community. Secondly, I don't recall anyone attacking Billikan. He's the one who lashed out, calling people and/or referring to "message board morons."

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not but according to Timmerman on twitter Crews is scheduled to throw out the 1st pitch and the Bills will be honored as A-10 champs on Saturday at the Cardinals game.

One would have to assume that Crews will be officially announced as the head coach by then. Heck it wouldn't be a bad idea to announce it at the game as that would generate a lot of publicity.

Well this Billikan thing sure blew up...

Billikan stated that we all dont know what we are talking about, and that he knows for sure everything is going extremely smoothly

People asked him why it was taking so long for the AD to announce Crews as HC

Billikan called all those people morons. No one attacked BIllikan. They simply asked him why this announcement was taking so long if everything was going so smooth.

As I stated earlier in this thread, unless Billikan is extremely close to JC, Biondi, Dr C or CM then I highly doubt he has inside information on this situation going on right now. Of those four above, who is going to tell donors that they aren't extremely close with that 'so and so is really ###### this whole thing up'. It aint going to happen, all parties involved will keep their mouths shut until the deal goes one way or the other.

We are almost to our 3rd week since we lost to Oregon.

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not but according to Timmerman on twitter Crews is scheduled to throw out the 1st pitch and the Bills will be honored as A-10 champs on Saturday at the Cardinals game.

One would have to assume that Crews will be officially announced as the head coach by then. Heck it wouldn't be a bad idea to announce it at the game as that would generate a lot of publicity.

The interviewed Cody on the radio earlier. Apparently he is at opening day. Cody shared a lot of great stories about the impact that RM had on his life. Those who fully bought into RM and were willing to work to improve like Conklin, Cody, Kwamain, Evans and co. were much better off for it. Cody said RM made them better people, not just players.

Man walks out of his house and sees this snail lying on his porch. So, without even thinking, he picks it up and chucks it into the backyard. The snail bounces off a rock, busts its shell all to $hit, and lands in the grass. Snail lies there dying......BUT....the snail doesn't die. Soon it can crawl again. And one day the snail decides to head back to the front of the house. After about a year the little guy crawls back on the porch. Right then the man walks out of his house, and sees the snail. The man stares at the snail. The snail stares at the man. The snail finally looks up at the man and says: "The fuok's your problem!?!"

Well this Billikan thing sure blew up...

Billikan stated that we all dont know what we are talking about, and that he knows for sure everything is going extremely smoothly

People asked him why it was taking so long for the AD to announce Crews as HC

Billikan called all those people morons. No one attacked BIllikan. They simply asked him why this announcement was taking so long if everything was going so smooth.

As I stated earlier in this thread, unless Billikan is extremely close to JC, Biondi, Dr C or CM then I highly doubt he has inside information on this situation going on right now. Of those four above, who is going to tell donors that they aren't extremely close with that 'so and so is really ###### this whole thing up'. It aint going to happen, all parties involved will keep their mouths shut until the deal goes one way or the other.

We are almost to our 3rd week since we lost to Oregon.

I am quite confident he does.

The interviewed Cody on the radio earlier. Apparently he is at opening day. Cody shared a lot of great stories about the impact that RM had on his life. Those who fully bought into RM and were willing to work to improve like Conklin, Cody, Kwamain, Evans and co. were much better off for it. Cody said RM made them better people, not just players.

-what station?

-this is cool!!!

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Billikan? What makes him an insider? I'm not being snide; I really don't know. And that's one of the problems with a message board community. Secondly, I don't recall anyone attacking Billikan. He's the one who lashed out, calling people and/or referring to "message board morons."

Actually, Billikan is an insider; he just has a short fuse for negative thinkers. I read whatever he has to say and ignore his rants.

Look, here's the bottom line; 16 days and counting, yet no one knows if JC's been hired as full time coach or not. Yes, we have assurances from Mr. Insider, oops that's disrespectful, Billikan that everything's cool, alright, calm down, stay positive. Great! A full 16 days has passed since the end of our season still not a peep from anyone what JC's status is other than some twitter from some guy at CBS and the recruitment of Reggie (Duke Style). If he's the man, why not tell the fans, media, maybe even him? Is it really all about making some big splash announcement at a Cardinals game? Here's what would be a splash announcement; RM or John Wooden is coming back from the dead and will be our HC next year. JC should have been a known two days after San Jose. I don't care what Billikan or Alumni Fan thinks, this is just plain stupid to keep everyone hanging. And that's exactly why you're getting so much angst about this situation especially since Fr. B's involved. If I were a betting man, I'd say 99.9% he's the guy. What I can't figure out is why we're playing this waiting game thing by not making the announcement. It's like a kid's game of "I've got a secret", but I'm not going to tell you and then run away and hide for about 3 days. Then do it all over again. Just don't see the justification for keeping everyone in the dark.

Look, here's the bottom line; 16 days and counting, yet no one knows if JC's been hired as full time coach or not. Yes, we have assurances from Mr. Insider, oops that's disrespectful, Billikan that everything's cool, alright, calm down, stay positive. Great! A full 16 days has passed since the end of our season still not a peep from anyone what JC's status is other than some twitter from some guy at CBS and the recruitment of Reggie (Duke Style). If he's the man, why not tell the fans, media, maybe even him? Is it really all about making some big splash announcement at a Cardinals game? Here's what would be a splash announcement; RM or John Wooden is coming back from the dead and will be our HC next year. JC should have been a known two days after San Jose. I don't care what Billikan or Alumni Fan thinks, this is just plain stupid to keep everyone hanging. And that's exactly why you're getting so much angst about this situation especially since Fr. B's involved. If I were a betting man, I'd say 99.9% he's the guy. What I can't figure out is why we're playing this waiting game thing by not making the announcement. It's like a kid's game of "I've got a secret", but I'm not going to tell you and then run away and hide for about 3 days. Then do it all over again. Just don't see the justification for keeping everyone in the dark.

Suggestion: put me and Billikan on "Ignore". That will solve at least some of your angst. Pretty simple really.

Suggestion: put me and Billikan on "Ignore". That will solve at least some of your angst. Pretty simple really.

Suggestion: You and Billikan should figure out that a fan's questioning an issue is different than being negative. And that should be obvious even to the casual observer.

To be perfectly honest, I just want SLU to announce the Crews hire so I don't have to see the same handful of guys on this board continuously b!tch about the lack of an announcement. At this point, considering the fact that Crews and May travelled to Atlanta together, Agbeko verbally committed, Crews was named NABC COY, the staff is out actively recuiting, etc., I just don't think that there is a huge need for a press conference to announce Crews has had the interim tag removed from him. I think this is just a molehill that got made into a HUGE mountain by people on this board to make a point about how inefficiently the university's athletic department is run, and more and more people jumped on board thinking it was actually a big deal.

To be perfectly honest, I just want SLU to announce the Crews hire so I don't have to see the same handful of guys on this board continuously b!tch about the lack of an announcement. At this point, considering the fact that Crews and May travelled to Atlanta together, Agbeko verbally committed, Crews was named NABC COY, the staff is out actively recuiting, etc., I just don't think that there is a huge need for a press conference to announce Crews has had the interim tag removed from him. I think this is just a molehill that got made into a HUGE mountain by people on this board to make a point about how inefficiently the university's athletic department is run, and more and more people jumped on board thinking it was actually a big deal.

I couldn't agree more. Crews is clearly in control, and the program is humming along just fine. I am, however, anxiously awaiting a positive BE announcement in the coming months.

Good post, but I'm still mad at you for defending Butler. :)

I couldn't agree more. Crews is clearly in control, and the program is humming along just fine. I am, however, anxiously awaiting a positive BE announcement in the coming months.

We are already in. Biondi is just holding off on the announcement for a couple of months. Insiders know this.