No news is good news?

slu72

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some one earlier had said the Biondi would want to be there to revel in the hiring - if his brother died and he is out of town and May and Crews are in Atlanta then all this will just simply wait until all 3 return to SLU. Clearly by the signing of Reggie - see I am getting into the new Dukie mode - the deal is done and all we are waiting on is the official announcement to take place so the media and photos can be be there and be taken. While I agree none of this makes sense - how long it is taking - but with Biondi nothing makes sense at times to me.

Some one earlier had said the Biondi would want to be there to revel in the hiring - if his brother died and he is out of town and May and Crews are in Atlanta then all this will just simply wait until all 3 return to SLU. Clearly by the signing of Reggie - see I am getting into the new Dukie mode - the deal is done and all we are waiting on is the official announcement to take place so the media and photos can be be there and be taken. While I agree none of this makes sense - how long it is taking - but with Biondi nothing makes sense at times to me.

You would think the University would send out a press release, tweet or something about how JC is the new head coach and the contract is finalized, but due to Biondi's personal situation the press conference/whatever will be postponed until he returns...

Common sense though...

You would think the University would send out a press release, tweet or something about how JC is the new head coach and the contract is finalized, but due to Biondi's personal situation the press conference/whatever will be postponed until he returns...

Common sense though...

-let's not bring common sense into it!!!! :P

-who is making money on this delay? I am thinking SLU is doing this somehow to find a dime or two

But people do pack up and go home - it's called reality. Board participants either learn and more info is available or they don't and less info is available. It really is that simple.

You're right and in general I agree.

However, do we never question or disagree with someone who occasionally has inside info (though rarely sharing, but letting us know they have it) in fear they run away?

I like Billikan and probably agree with him 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time it's my opinion he gets overly sensitive about things written on the board and critiicism of his own posts.

Part of a board like this is disagreement, discussion, and even arguing. Some info will be right and some wrong, it's up to the reader to discern which is which. Some people will over react and some will take it in stride, it's the nature of having so many different personalities contributing. We quickly figure out who is generally full of crap and who isn't. We don't need Billikan as board daddy to point out who's info is right or wrong because he of course is in the know. It's just my opinion, but if the only way to keep him posting regardless of his inside info is to treat him with kid gloves so we're sure not to infend him ... I'm not sure I'm on board.

However, do we never question or disagree with someone who occasionally has inside info (though rarely sharing, but letting us know they have it) in fear they run away?

I like Billikan and probably agree with him 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time it's my opinion he gets overly sensitive about things written on the board and critiicism of his own posts.

Part of a board like this is disagreement, discussion, and even arguing. Some info will be right and some wrong, it's up to the reader to discern which is which. Some people will over react and some will take it in stride, it's the nature of having so many different personalities contributing. We quickly figure out who is generally full of crap and who isn't. We don't need Billikan as board daddy to point out who's info is right or wrong because he of course is in the know. It's just my opinion, but if the only way to keep him posting regardless of his inside info is to treat him with kid gloves so we're sure not to infend him ... I'm not sure I'm on board.

I agree that often times it's not what you say, but how you say it, even on an internet board. It's difficult to tell where the name calling started and clearly it ended up on both sides. And you are also right that it is fair to question some information, especially when it is a new poster who no one knows and who does not yet have a reliable reputation on the board. Again, it's how you question that poster that is important.

I just wish that some of the newer posters would spend more time getting to know other posters before jumping on those who are trying to provide info that is not readily available. That, essentially, has been my point all along. For the two of us, having been around for over a decade, we tend to know who to trust and who not to trust. Newer posters should take the time to do the same. It would simply make the board better for everyone. Maybe I'm just Billy Mumphrey....

I agree that often times it's not what you say, but how you say it, even on an internet board. It's difficult to tell where the name calling started and clearly it ended up on both sides. And you are also right that it is fair to question some information, especially when it is a new poster who no one knows and who does not yet have a reliable reputation on the board. Again, it's how you question that poster that is important.

I just wish that some of the newer posters would spend more time getting to know other posters before jumping on those who are trying to provide info that is not readily available. That, essentially, has been my point all along. For the two of us, having been around for over a decade, we tend to know who to trust and who not to trust. Newer posters should take the time to do the same. It would simply make the board better for everyone. Maybe I'm just Billy Mumphrey....

My only issue is that Billikan doesn't actually provide much, if any, information. All we ever seem to get from him are posts telling us how negative and destructive we are, how we don't know the true story and how he can't stand message boards.

My only issue is that Billikan doesn't actually provide much, if any, information. All we ever seem to get from him are posts telling us how negative and destructive we are, how we don't know the true story and how he can't stand message boards.

Billkan reminds of this kid

My gripe w/ Billikan is well thought out open criticism of anything to do with the program is not to be tolerated because it's somehow reflects a negative attitude on the part of the poster. To my way of thinking tha't petty and smacks of elitism.

Just a thought here, but regardless of any other circumstances (i.e. Biondi's brother as mentioned), Crews and May could still be at the Final Four, plus today is the Cardinals' home opener. If SLU wants to have the Crews hiring make the news, today isn't the day for it.

It was said here earlier, and given the Agbeko commitment the other day, I really am thinking that this delay isn't really the big deal that we think it is. Sure it probably isn't going to make any handbooks on the correct way to handle a situation like this, but it probably isn't the catastrophe that we think it is. I noticed a number of national media people in February and early March tweeting, writing in articles, or saying on broadcasts (Vitale, Dan Dakich, etc) that SLU should remove the interim tag immediately. Every week, Vitale would tweet or say something directed at Biondi asking what were they waiting for in not removing the interim tag yet. It definitely appeared to be that members of the basketball coaching community were standing up for their guy. We don't see that now. News travels in the basketball world, and if these coaches, former coaches, media, etc thought that this delay was at all a slight to Crews, they would be all over SLU for it. We haven't seen any articles like this because they know this is settled, so it isn't a big deal to them.

Exactly two weeks ago, Crews did one of his first interviews just back from the NCAA Tournament, he said with certainty that his coaching situation would get resolved and the public would know one way or the other by the end of that week (before Easter). Nothing happened.

Then last week, your long-time play-by-play announceer, the beloved Bob Ramsey goes on the air and expresses that he doesn't understand what the delay is for and that it could possibly hurt recruiting. Isn't Bob Ramsey an insider and even he doesn't know? There seems to be a real disconnect.

These type of delays are simply not the norm in the college basketball world. You don't need a press conference to break the news that JC is returning. You can always hold one when it is convenient to talk about the terms of contract, the rest of the coaching staff, etc. But nobody has given a plausible explanation on why there is a delay. We are getting a lot of speculation on probably some unfounded theories BECAUASE SLU's communication on this has been horrible. Their poor media relations skills have created this situation. SLU could keep people like Rammer and other "insiders" in the loop to share if there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for the delay, but that has not happened.

The commitment from Agbeko is very encouraging and we could still go on and have a very solid spring recruiting period, but that doesn't justify why this was handled poorly. Do I know for certain that the delay has cost us recruits? No, but I don't have to be an insider to know that the delay is very likley being used against us. Why risk it over something so silly? I hope they address why there is a delay if/when a press conference is ever held.

Most of the posters on here know how college sports work. Primarily it's about selling talent on coming to your school. And a lot of that sales pitch is who's the HC. Now since most of us are not "in the loop" people, we got worried when it looked like our admin were in no hurry to resolve the JC situation, one way or the other, in an expeditious manner, while other schools were resolving their HC situations in a matter of days from fire to hire. This is done no to lose valuable recruiting time. Granted the signing of RE seems to indicate JC is our HC. Where's the harm in letting the fan base and the sportsworld know this to be the case?

+1

Just saying, "It will be taken care of, trust me" is not information. Anyone can get on here and say everything will be fine without giving any detail or reasoning. The rest of us have no reason to believe everything will be fine if we see no evidence to support that. So if Billikan and others like him want to give very vague general feeling statements like that, he can't also get so upset when people ask why or want detail or disagree.

If you guys want, I can start telling you that everything will be ok and then call you morons when you ask why. I can also take a dump in a box and mark it insider information. I've got the extra time.

It's probably best for Billikan not to post at all if the exchanges are just going to be:

Board: WTF is taking so long in getting our coach locked up?

Billikan: Everything is under control.

Board: How so?

Billikan: I can't say but everything is fine.

Board: Everything seems to indicate that this is dragging on for no good reason. We have a national COY candidate (now winner) on our hands, and if he's not the guy, every other candidate is getting snapped up. We don't have any indication this is going well. We have a megalomaniac president who doesn't play well with others, has been a difficult boss to say the least, and has not historically demonstrated that the athletic department is a priority. Please elaborate on why everything is under control.

Billikan: Morons.

How is that productive? If you have inside information that you aren't allowed to share, don't say anything at all.

It's probably best for Billikan not to post at all if the exchanges are just going to be:

Board: WTF is taking so long in getting our coach locked up?

Billikan: Everything is under control.

Board: How so?

Billikan: I can't say but everything is fine.

Board: Everything seems to indicate that this is dragging on for no good reason. We have a national COY candidate (now winner) on our hands, and if he's not the guy, every other candidate is getting snapped up. We don't have any indication this is going well. We have a megalomaniac president who doesn't play well with others, has been a difficult boss to say the least, and has not historically demonstrated that the athletic department is a priority. Please elaborate on why everything is under control.

Billikan: Morons.

How is that productive? If you have inside information that you aren't allowed to share, don't say anything at all.

I agree with you in general, but you have to realize that there are times where information is shared that cannot be relayed in detail, so the information comes out in very general terms. There have been times where I have been told not to worry about something without a lot of detail and, based on the source, I feel much better about the situation. I appreciate that. Now, if I am worried about my job and my teenage daughter says, "Don't worry Dad, everything will be fine" while I appreciate her concern, it does nothing to alleviate my worries. If someone in a position to know however, says not to worry, then I am going to feel better.

I would rather have someone like Billikan, who I know is definitely well-connected, come here and tell me not to worry than to sit here and worry. I just don't have the dying need to know all of the details. I get that for some people that's not enough, but to then attack the guy for telling us not to worry just alienates him so that those of us who appreciate his posts and insight now don't receive it even though we didn't do anything to cause him to go away. Doesn't that make sense? It's the old saying that one person can ruin it for everyone else. If a person doesn't like what Billikan has to say USE THE IGNORE FUNCTION! Don't ruin it for those who appreciate his input.

All that said, when people start name calling, it never ends well. And I have been guilty too so I am certainly not saying I haven't been at fault in the past myself.

I agree with you in general, but you have to realize that there are times where information is shared that cannot be relayed in detail, so the information comes out in very general terms. There have been times where I have been told not to worry about something without a lot of detail and, based on the source, I feel much better about the situation. I appreciate that. Now, if I am worried about my job and my teenage daughter says, "Don't worry Dad, everything will be fine" while I appreciate her concern, it does nothing to alleviate my worries. If someone in a position to know however, says not to worry, then I am going to feel better.

I would rather have someone like Billikan, who I know is definitely well-connected, come here and tell me not to worry than to sit here and worry. I just don't have the dying need to know all of the details. I get that for some people that's not enough, but to then attack the guy for telling us not to worry just alienates him so that those of us who appreciate his posts and insight now don't receive it even though we didn't do anything to cause him to go away. Doesn't that make sense? It's the old saying that one person can ruin it for everyone else. If a person doesn't like what Billikan has to say USE THE IGNORE FUNCTION! Don't ruin it for those who appreciate his input.

All that said, when people start name calling, it never ends well. And I have been guilty too so I am certainly not saying I haven't been at fault in the past myself.

Fair points. Maybe i missed it, but who's attacking Billikan?

Fair points. Maybe i missed it, but who's attacking Billikan?

We don't name names here...

Seriously, I don't remember how it all went down, but several posters jumped on Billikan and Billikan responded in kind and it deteriorated from there. Billikan also made comments about people posting false info and used the term morons. That clearly didn't help things.

We don't name names here...

Seriously, I don't remember how it all went down, but several posters jumped on Billikan and Billikan responded in kind and it deteriorated from there. Billikan also made comments about people posting false info and used the term morons. That clearly didn't help things.

No worries. I've beat this dead horse long enough.

Alumni. Appreciate your posts and totally agree. Why should those with inside info keep posting if they get ripped to shreds. I get it and agree with you. Instead of debating whether or not certain posts were overly critical with respect to those with inside info and whether or not those with inside information should have thicker skin... doesn't matter. If the guy with the inside information feels offended (right or wrong), he will simply stop posting. End of story. Personally, I hope Billikan does not take that approach.

IMO, though, the frustration level is so great that even the innocent messangers are affected. IMO, we have a real problem here. Every institution, school, basketball program will always have "insiders" and friends with inside information. Here at SLU, though, we have Fr. Biondi micro-managing a large entity -- for no good reason other than he can - and, if I can add, doing a rather poor job at it too. Where is the institutional framework. Why does not Fr. Biondi just tell Chris May: here is your budget now go get your man. Has Fr. Biondi just usurped the powers of Chris May like he did to Cheryl Levick and the female Law School Dean? Where is SLU's PR department reassuring us things are moving along? Sorry, but until Fr. Biondi is gone, until our Athletic Director has the power to hire and fire, until a Public Relations department is established to treat us fans with respect, I will follow the teams and go to the games but I will not donate and I will not pretend to go under SLU's tent.

I certainly understand that there is sensitive information some people might have, and that it can't be shared in specific terms. I was an "insider" for this program for years and didn't join this board until I was a year removed from that, and still don't share everything I saw and heard. I read billikens.com every once in a while during that time and saw plenty of misinformation and plenty more misinformed opinions. But it wouldn't have done anyone any good for me to jump in, assure everyone I knew what I was talking about, and then tell them, "I can't say who I am or why this is wrong, but it is."

I appreciate Billikan's position and insight and general positivity, but it doesn't look good to come in and in the vaguest terms contradict people who are pointing to actual evidence and events and voicing very legitimate concerns, and then call them names for disagreeing or asking for more. It just isn't fair to anyone. Plus, he's not actually sharing real information. He's not breaking anything. He's using his insider position - which many of us have assumed is legitimate - to reassure us that everything is cool without ever elaborating. I'm a natural skeptic and can't help but face that with skepticism; sure, boosters are going to hear things before the rest of us but isn't it also in the best interest of the athletic department to paint the rosiest picture possible along with whatever information they get right before the rest of us? They're never going to badmouth management, despite what the rest of us are seeing take place.

Whenever I first see information on the program broken, it's not from boosters- it's either on here or on Twitter.

I really question how much some "insiders" really know. I know a guy who really fancies himself as an insider and sometimes he has given me the scoop on some things, but other times he has proven to be way off. The other reason, I am skeptical of SLU insiders is that with this program, it seems to be a very, very small group who really know what in the hell is going on with important decisions. Think back to the last coaching search. The guy I talked about who was a self-proclaimed "insider" had no inkling that Sodie was going to get canned. The "insiders" on this board also seemed to be taken completely by surprised at the time. Hell, the Athletic Director even seemed to be blindsided.

As for this coaching decision, I haven't seen "insiders" providing any worthwhile information explaining why there is a delay. I suspect there are very few people who really know. Whether you consider yourself an "insider" or not, nobody can rightfully claim that this has not been handled poorly.

Part of a board like this is disagreement, discussion, and even arguing. Some info will be right and some wrong, it's up to the reader to discern which is which. Some people will over react and some will take it in stride, it's the nature of having so many different personalities contributing. We quickly figure out who is generally full of crap and who isn't. We don't need Billikan as board daddy to point out who's info is right or wrong because he of course is in the know. It's just my opinion, but if the only way to keep him posting regardless of his inside info is to treat him with kid gloves so we're sure not to offend him ... I'm not sure I'm on board.

Well stated.