Are we looking like the village idiot of college hoops?

slu72

Even if some people still think we're looking at other coaches, we're still behind everyone else. Our coach should've been announced a week ago if it were Jim Crews. If we wanted to be like every other school, our coach should've been at least announced a couple days ago if it weren't Jim Crews. We're not like every other school here. We have a whole different beast in charge.

I get the feeling that some people on here are want so bad for a different coach, that they'll find anything and use it to point to a sign that Crews will longer be our coach.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That time period was damn short at UCLA, So. Alabama, TTech, and NM. Still, I am a little amazed the local media, who have supported JC being named HC since Feb, have not wrote a column on this. Both Burwell, Bernie, and the other guy whose name escapes me were all in on naming JC head coach. This would seem to be a column screaming to be written with all these other hires taking place in ridiculously short time periods. Something like, "What is the deal between JC and SLU?" Or, "Is he or isn't he?" Inquiring minds want to know.

By my count:

UCLA

Texas Tech

New Mexico

Buffalo

Siena

Old Dominion

Minnesota

USC

Northwestern

San Jose State

All of these schools have hired a head coach while SLU has been sitting on its hands. This is embarrassing, for the program and for the school.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

EDIT 2: That ESPN chart is actually pretty interesting. It looks like basically just the runts of the litter are remaining. So... why not go after Howland now? Looks like our biggest competition is Rutgers, and that could be a dicey proposition for any incoming coach. Unless, of course, we aren't willing to spend the money, or perhaps Howland just wants sit out a year and hope something better opens up next year - which, in fairness, would probably be a good call.

That time period was damn short at UCLA, So. Alabama, TTech, and NM. Still, I am a little amazed the local media, who have supported JC being named HC since Feb, have not wrote a column on this. Both Burwell, Bernie, and the other guy whose name escapes me were all in on naming JC head coach. This would seem to be a column screaming to be written with all these other hires taking place in ridiculously short time periods. Something like, "What is the deal between JC and SLU?" Or, "Is he or isn't he?" Inquiring minds want to know.

My only guess is that with the Cardinals starting this week, they're all not very concerned with what's going on right now with SLU.

I guess if there is a bright side, IF we are trying to go in a different direction and make a big splash, there will be little competition, because we by FAR the best available job on that list (pehaps with the exception of Rutgers).

EDIT 2: That ESPN chart is actually pretty interesting. It looks like basically just the runts of the litter are remaining.

Didn't we have a pretty lengthy list of prospective coaching candidates a few months ago? Seems like many of the names the posters here came up with - guys like Rick Stansbury - are available.

I guess if there is a bright side, IF we are trying to go in a different direction and make a big splash, there will be little competition, because we by FAR the best available job on that list (pehaps with the exception of Rutgers).

Rutgers is a Big Ten job, with all that entails. So it's the bigger job. Otherwise, no one else is close (assuming Richard Pitino signs on the dotted line for Minnesota momentarily).

Rutgers is a Big Ten job, with all that entails. So it's the bigger job. Otherwise, no one else is close (assuming Richard Pitino signs on the dotted line for Minnesota momentarily).

Agreed, but in the short term, that job is a mess. Two current players leaving and two more may follow, plus recruit de-commits.

Speaking of transfers, I read where 11% of D1 bball players transfer and the number is expected to be even higher. Tulane's top two scorers are leaving. All kinds of activity going on. There is a reason why most programs try to settle their coaching situation quickly.

By the way, I've stayed out of the discussion on here since our loss since we're all just going in circles and all topics are blending into one, but I will say this:

To Billikan, and whoever else is defending Biondi and May right now: how about instead of calling everyone out for being "message board morons" and not knowing anything, why don't you actually give us some insight as to what those two are doing?

Because on paper, it looks like they're not doing anything. I check that ESPN Coaching Changes list about once a day; since our season ended, the left column grew substantially and the right column has filled. And after "Saint Louis," "Jim Crews*" has been in the left column the entire time. There have been no articles to substantiate any action on the administration's or athletic department's part. There have been no quotes. There haven't even been any good rumors. Nothing.

So until you or some other big shot in the know actually provides something of substance instead of name calling, no one else has any reason to believe that Biondi or May are doing a good job with this deal.

Anyone think guys like Katz, Dickie V, CBS announcers are scratching their heads over SLU's hesitation? All these and more said JC should have been given HC during SLU's phenomenal season. C'mon, this procrastination is not good for SLU I don't care how Billikan, the great insider/donor, tries to spin it. You look at that ESPN list and most are probably saying, "what the hell are these people thinking?" If JC's hire is not announced soon, the only thing I can see appeasing the critics is that we went after Howland. And seriously, if they're waiting for the NCOY to be announced they lose both ways. 1.) Was his hire contingent on winning? 2.) If he loses, he was in the top 4 out of 360 odd D1 programs, why'd you wait so fricking long to give him the job?

Yes, as Billikan said, we have had a great two years and the needle still points up for next season. Still, it's gotdamn hard being a Bills fan when something like this happens. Correct that, doesn't happen.

Maybe they are waiting for Witchita State to finish playing to announce Greg Marshall as our new coach

Dream on. That's not meant to be a mean response, just not very realistic. However, if the case, you are owed some drinks.

Chas Wolfe ‏@highmajorscoop 1 Apr

St. Louis reportedly to take the "interim tag" of Head Coach for Jimmy Crews. SLU posted a 28-7 record under his guidance.

Well, how does this guy know what we don't? I have no idea.

First rule of thumb: never trust anyone named "Chas."

Chas Wolfe ‏@highmajorscoop 1 AprSt. Louis reportedly to take the "interim tag" of Head Coach for Jimmy Crews. SLU posted a 28-7 record under his guidance.Well, how does this guy know what we don't? I have no idea.

He didn't say when it would happen.

that cheerleader could get lubed up and skewered. if that uniform weren't from '93, we'd have some real nice jammed up cleavage on her. amber barretto. noted.

I think Anthony Anderson got to her in a very special "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" episode of HT. Season 3, I think. Check local listings. ;)

The negative fans "only" sin is not that they care about the basketball program--they have several "sins"--first and foremost is that they make up false "facts" that are negative to the school and to the program and then post them on this board if they are true. Second, they refuse to even acknowledge all of the great things that have happened with this program over the past year and focus on all of the negative speculation that is posted on this board. I am not involved in the discussions so I cannot talk about any details and those items are generally confidential in any hiring discussions. In any event, I do know that many good things are happening and this staff is busting its collective behind in recruiting. Many good players are talking to us. Its only been a little over a week since everyone returned from San Jose and took a deep breath. Why can't everyone be just a little patient?

Billike"an

This is off topic but since u are connected to the powers to be and I am a member of the unwashed, can u make a suggestion to the AD that for fans who attend tourneys that are xxxx miles from school, a spiff should be made to the attendees billiken club points?

This topic was bounced around at the pre and post game festivities in San Jose. I know we all enjoy supporting the Bills but the concensus was that the fans should receive some type of recognition other than free liquor and food.

I'd start a new topic but am computer illiterate and did not want to have my secretary to figure it out

Billike"an

This is off topic but since u are connected to the powers to be and I am a member of the unwashed, can u make a suggestion to the AD that for fans who attend tourneys that are xxxx miles from school, a spiff should be made to the attendees billiken club points?

This topic was bounced around at the pre and post game festivities in San Jose. I know we all enjoy supporting the Bills but the concensus was that the fans should receive some type of recognition other than free liquor and food.

I'd start a new topic but am computer illiterate and did not want to have my secretary to figure it out

Whats wrong with free food and liquor?