Are we looking like the village idiot of college hoops?

slu72

OK--I surrender-- I will not try to post anything at all to suggest that things are good with the program and that we should be happy that we had such a great year or that the future is bright. In fact, I think I will give up and not post at all. Then everyone can just post negative things constantly and have a lovefest with each other about how one is more insulting and negative than another. But this board should be renamed the Anti-Billiken board because if any third parties or recruits ever read it they will sure as hell never believe that anything good is happening at SLU. One more thing, I would love to see a show of hands of all of you who are constantly negative and ripping the school, etc--even in the wake of the best year in modern Billiken basketball--how many are serious contributors to the basketball program? We have a group who give at least $25,000 per year to support the team--how many of you are ready to step up and join the party. My guess is the answer is few or none and few has left the building!

i love your post. it gives me good feeling to know that someone who is sort of connected has inside info that all is to be fine. however as a Missourian as long as a St louisian i got have a little show me attitude. it's like religious faith in general. if you believe no problem but if it's so fckn slamdunkish show me a miracle, come down here and show the light thru the hands something. same with you just a morsel, i e; contract signed just waiting to get physical passed, waiting on drug test, or he's agreed to stay next year with option........something besides "chill fellow fans for i know all is well"

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This board has a history of alienating some of the most well-informed posters. The funny and ironic thing is that those who are extremely well-informed quit posting but, of course, stay extremely well-informed while those who thought it was cool, clever, or perhaps angst-relieving to ridicule and thus alienate them, are now LESS informed and thus more irritated since their main complaint is lack of being informed.

Just sayin'.

BTW - as many of us are aware, recruits and their parents DEFINITELY do read this board. If you think they do not, then you are the naive one. And, if you have the ability to accurately assess the impact this board has on them and the additional ability to gauge how it may impact their decision making then you have my undying admiration because I certainly couldn't figure that out.

Things that have happened since SLU has been out of the tournament and has yet to announce Jim Crews officially:

UCLA has fired and hired a coach.

Tubby Smith has been fired from his position and hired at another school.

100's of players have started the transfer process.

UMKC has hired a coach.

What is the hold up? I just don't understand the delay.

You can't forget USC negotiated and hired FGCU's coach.

Things that have happened since SLU has been out of the tournament and has yet to announce Jim Crews officially:

UCLA has fired and hired a coach.

Tubby Smith has been fired from his position and hired at another school.

100's of players have started the transfer process.

UMKC has hired a coach.

What is the hold up? I just don't understand the delay.

You can't forget USC negotiated and hired FGCU's coach.

This board has a history of alienating some of the most well-informed posters. The funny and ironic thing is that those who are extremely well-informed quit posting but, of course, stay extremely well-informed while those who thought it was cool, clever, or perhaps angst-relieving to ridicule and thus alienate them, are now LESS informed and thus more irritated since their main complaint is lack of being informed.

Just sayin'.

BTW - as many of us are aware, recruits and their parents DEFINITELY do read this board. If you think they do not, then you are the naive one. And, if you have the ability to accurately assess the impact this board has on them and the additional ability to gauge how it may impact their decision making then you have my undying admiration because I certainly couldn't figure that out.

Come on, no one is alienating Billikan.

Serioulsy, maybe I missed what was so bad? Most people aren't happy with the progress or word of what is happening.

Message boards are a reality of college ball for every decent team. This one is one of the kindest I've ever read

Every school has at least one board — many more than one — and probably all of them have shenanigans at least as bad as what happens here. Why do recruits sign anywhere, then? Could it be that the staff, players, and school culture have a lot more to do with a recruit's decision than what some anonymous people post on a cyber-bulletin board?

What does that really matter, though? This is a forum for SLU fans to have an open and honest dialogue about our program. This is not a recruiting site, or a site affiliated with the school, and in no way do I think we have a duty to put SLU in the best possible light. Of course, I certainly don't condone criticizing the school for the hell of it, but if there is a legitimate issue that needs to be discussed, it shouldn't simply be dismissed because some recruit might read it. I mean, other schools have forums like this, too - and if a recruit turns us down based on a few message board comments, then he probably wasn't ours to begin with.

What does that really matter, though? This is a forum for SLU fans to have an open and honest dialogue about our program. This is not a recruiting site, or a site affiliated with the school, and in no way do I think we have a duty to put SLU in the best possible light. Of course, I certainly don't condone criticizing the school for the hell of it, but if there is a legitimate issue that needs to be discussed, it shouldn't simply be dismissed because some recruit might read it. I mean, other schools have forums like this, too - and if a recruit turns us down based on a few message board comments, then he probably wasn't ours to begin with.

Every school has at least one board — many more than one — and probably all of them have shenanigans at least as bad as what happens here. Why do recruits sign anywhere, then? Could it be that the staff, players, and school culture have a lot more to do with a recruit's decision than what some anonymous people post on a cyber-bulletin board?

Me doth think they protest too much...

Ok--one last post and then I am done. No one is being petty and no one thinks that Crews is not our man. The truth is, as was stated numerous occasions over the last few months, that May and Crews did not have any discussions of negotiations regarding the head coaching position or the details of any deal until everyone got back from San Jose last week and everyone took a day off to unwind. They then had several discussions which were extremely positive and then, as any reasonable person would expect, Father Biondi was consulted when he returned from the far east. He has also been very positive and things are being finalized so that everyone is comfortable with the situation. It is not in any way unusual for this to take a week or so to get everything finalized, particularly when things are moving forward in all other areas, including recruiting, while discussions are being concluded. All of this nonsense and speculation about what is going on behind closed doors is just that--nothing is based on facts yet people continue to repost things that are complete lies as if they are gospel. I obviously do not understand message boards but it really riles me up because this board has the Billiken name on it and so anyone from the "outside" without any real understanding or knowledge about the school or the program could be completely turned off because we look like a sorry imitation of the fanatics at Kentucky--but without the money to bring in a coach like Calapari and his recruiting circus.

Billikan...love your posts and have a feeling that we are among the oldest SLU Alums and Fans, my days as a fan started in the mid 50's. Thanks for your contributions to the program. When I lived in St. Louis I had season tickets for years and I was also a Billiken Club member. I have NEVER been more proud of the performance of our program, and I am anxious to see it continues under Coach Crews and his staff.

I finished reading Coach Majerus book, and with the many references he made to Coach Crews it was no surprise at all that he asked him to join the staff in his last year as HC. Kind of wonder if Coach Majerus knew his health was failing and wanted a trusted basketball mind who shared some of his same vision. In any case it sure worked out very well for this years team, and I will be pleased when it becomes official that Coach Crews is the HC.

Fans on college websites can be a funny breed. I see you brought up KY a SEC team. I happen to spend a fair amount of time on the Vols website !00% for football as my wife is an Alum and I became a fan of that program. The negativity on this website is minor league compared to a fans website like the UT Vols especially when the football program is going south with an inept HC. Many of the things posted while that circus was going on last season were cruel and just plain dumb speculation. That happens when fans are not in the loop.

I say patience while a very good virtue is a tough one for sports fans especially ones who have zero inside information. I am always going to root hard for the Bills. They are and always have been my college basketball team. I am ready to see if the coaching staff can make next season a 3-Peat for the Big Dance.

Lexington, Kentucky is one of the wildest fan bases around. Their drive time radio show with Chris Cross (yes, reallY) was one of the most negative things I ever heard about college sports. Every fan that called in was more hateful than the last, because they were headed to the NIT.

I love the town's atmosphere on game days, but it was wild hearing all their conspiracy theories. Maybe the Bills can take over St. Louis like the Cats own Lexington.

This board isn't doing any damage to the school that the protesting students, angry faculty, and defiant Biondi haven't knocked out a long time ago.

Well, it's tough to argue with that!

Just sayin'.

Name the posters we've run off please?

P Diddy wasn't run off. No one even knows who he was. 3starecruit just stopped posting, more I believe because of the off topic content than any of the basketball talk. Both those guys left years ago? Who else who was a true program insider?

I'm not going to say i love Bilikan's posts. I find his viewpoint's fairly pompous. He's called me out on more than one occasion yet as a 15 year board veteran I think my posts are fairly even keeled. To derive levels of fandom based on financial givings is pretty asinine. Sorry not all of us are millionaires. As much as we need the big donors to run the program, the average fan is needed as well if not more. It wouldn't be much of an atmosphere at Chaifetz if they only let the people in who gave 20k that year.

Billikan typically posts in topics that have been going on for quite some time, telling us how we need to be more positive and then shares a little inside info to show us all that everything is rosy on Compton.

He's started 5 threads in a year. A lot of the board rancor towards Biondi and the athletic dept would go away if we had more info. Why doesn't Billikan just start a thread a few days ago saying Biondi was back in town and they were making headway on the contract. Nope he can't do that. He'd rather lecture us after debating this topic for days. If Bilikan doesn't like seeing posts like we've had recently all he has to do is type what he knows. Even then it is just platitudes. Oh Biondi is back in town and we are looking at several recruits. Well hell, I knew that and I only gave 4 grand last year. Thanks for the inside info.

Because ve live in Sanct Louis. Ve do not qvestion die vaterland. Ve do not rocken das boot. Ve are good little vons who just do as ve are toldt.

Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit

Fur das deutsches Vaterland

Danach lasst uns alle streben

Bruderlich mit Herz und Hand

Die dritte Strophe ist die einzige, die bei öffentlichen Anlässen gesungen wird, weil die anderen Verse politisch zu sensibel sind.

Name the posters we've run off please?P Diddy wasn't run off. No one even knows who he was. 3starecruit just stopped posting, more I believe because of the off topic content than any of the basketball talk. Both those guys left years ago? Who else who was a true program insider?I'm not going to say i love Bilikan's posts. I find his viewpoint's fairly pompous. He's called me out on more than one occasion yet as a 15 year board veteran I think my posts are fairly even keeled. To derive levels of fandom based on financial givings is pretty asinine. Sorry not all of us are millionaires. As much as we need the big donors to run the program, the average fan is needed as well if not more. It wouldn't be much of an atmosphere at Chaifetz if they only let the people in who gave 20k that year.Billikan typically posts in topics that have been going on for quite some time, telling us how we need to be more positive and then shares a little inside info to show us all that everything is rosy on Compton.He's started 5 threads in a year. A lot of the board rancor towards Biondi and the athletic dept would go away if we had more info. Why doesn't Billikan just start a thread a few days ago saying Biondi was back in town and they were making headway on the contract. Nope he can't do that. He'd rather lecture us after debating this topic for days. If Bilikan doesn't like seeing posts like we've had recently all he has to do is type what he knows. Even then it is just platitudes. Oh Biondi is back in town and we are looking at several recruits. Well hell, I knew that and I only gave 4 grand last year. Thanks for the inside info.

You are certainly welcome to that opinion.

These recruits we were "in on" are coming off the board at a rapid rate while someone down at SLU is sitting on their hands. This is becoming absurd

exactly. fuok that motherfuoker. gotdamn dark ager needs to be put out to pasture.

I do know that Nate Latsch was runoff from this board. In fact, he made it pretty well known that it was the level of discourse here that sent him packing. He even had Steve deactivate his account.

steve should have deactivated his account when it became apparent he was only using billikens.com to farm for his paying members and yet never contributing a dime to billikens.com himself to maintaining our home. any tip worth reading from nate was kept from the billikens.com posters in general unless they would pay for his pay site. no loss.

Back to the main topic, I am not an insider, so the only fact I know, and probably the only one that matters, is that SLU does not officially have a permanent head coach yet. Hard to recruit without one.

When judging our Administration, I have to compare them to their peers, and I cannot help but notice that USC, UCLA, and TT have all fired and hired coaches since the season ended while all SLU had to do was make the interim coach a permanent one. And those schools have bigger athletic departments, including BCS football and everything that goes with it.

The longer this goes on, the more doubt will creep in about whether Crews will actually be the guy. The ONLY legit reason for why there is a delay is that they are looking into other candidates. Biondi's freakin' travel schedule is NOT a good reason to delay announcing Crews as head coach.

The longer this goes on, the more doubt will creep in about whether Crews will actually be the guy. The ONLY legit reason for why there is a delay is that they are looking into other candidates. Biondi's freakin' travel schedule is NOT a good reason to delay announcing Crews as head coach.

I certainly hope you're wrong that they're looking into a different option. Last time we fired and hired it took place in May. Great hire, but it put RM at a huge disadvantage in recruiting. But if it is JC, don't worry since a lot of folks on here don't think it matters when it comes to recruiting whether he's the official HC or still wears the interim label.