Bryce Drew

NH

Not at SLU. The guy made several million in the NBA. Money is not a real factor. Now if you go to the New Big East and have success with Jim Crews then maybe Bryce will talk. He really doesn't want to go anywhere. It's not about fame or fortune. It's about having a place where you can display your Christianity and win and marvel in God's given opportunities and not worry about opportunities not given.

sigh.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Waldo...a good coach can come from just about anywhere.

One guy I'd love to see us talk to is Orlando Antigua. He's one of Calipari's recruiters. I don't know how many Ben Franklins make the trip with him though. I would assume he's a good recruiter, but that school recruits itself pretty well. How would he do here? Who knows, but I'd love to see him in the discussion.

I'd rather have Crews than anybody else right now. I'd say he's definitely a leading candidate for NCOY and he's made the team his own. Getting a new coach we'd be starting all over again... He needs to stay and make it not only his team, but his program.

I thought the idea of Bryce Drew was not the worst one I had heard. I watched Valpo last night and was not very impressed. His team was playing at home against a much less experienced team and Valpo choked on a big lead before holding on to win it. They looked rattled much of the second half as they let their big lead slip away. Apparently the same thing happened last year on their home floor when they lost to Detroit. They said he has the most experienced team in America with a bunch of seniors, so this might be good time for Drew to bolt. Then again, God is telling him to stay at Valpo so he probably won't leave. AND Keith Carter went to play for Bryce Drew, so he has to stay. I think we can do better.

Not at SLU. The guy made several million in the NBA. Money is not a real factor. Now if you go to the New Big East and have success with Jim Crews then maybe Bryce will talk. He really doesn't want to go anywhere. It's not about fame or fortune. It's about having a place where you can display your Christianity and win and marvel in God's given opportunities and not worry about opportunities not given.

but if we offered him the job wouldn't it be an opportunity given?

Crews is as sexy as a kiss from your sister and if you knew my sister.......

In any case we can do better. We owe it to ourselves to try to do better. Better building, better conference, better coach, better recruits, better results..........

Obviously I'll support the team regardless but I can see myself falling into the Billiken Roy sniping at the head coach role next year. I don't want that....

bbtds, on 12 Mar 2013 - 18:45, said:snapback.png

You can marvel in God's opportunities at SLU as well. I'm pretty sure Our Lord Jeebus permits us to marvel in opportunities wherever we choose. At Valpo. At SLU. At Hooters. Just sayin'.

I didn't mean to say that Valpo was the only place that this atmosphere was possible. For Bryce, Valpo is home. He and I went to all the same schools, although most of his elementary years were spent in South Bend where Homer coached at IU-South Bend and Bethel College-NAIA. When you have the optimal atmosphere, you're at home and you don't worry about salary the only thing left is the chance to accomplish more. But the other elements have to go with. I think Bryce wants to see if the pinnacle of accomplishments can be done at Valpo. One thing that Butler proved through it's two years in the national championship game is that the pinnacle could be accomplished by a mid-major. Now Bryce wants to figure out if Valpo will make the commitment with facilities and money that is necessary to accomplish that ultimate goal.

Personally, I don't think the board at Valpo is committed enough to follow through on a "real" effort at winning a national championship. They feel that scholarship and development of the total student is more important. I don't blame them for that but somehow they feel that national athletic accomplishments don't fit into that. The Valpo board feels athletic accomplishments can be used to further their goals in the other area but that national athletic accomplishments are not necessary to help with the scholarship and student development goals.

This is where I believe Bryce might part with Valpo some day but boards and presidents change so who knows what might happen in the future.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/9049737/valparaiso-win-reach-ncaa-tourney-not-only-good-news-drew-family-college-basketball[/url]

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/lopresti/2013/03/13/valparaiso-wright-state-horizon-league-championship/1983265/[/url]

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/crusaders-take-a-day-to-relax-after-clinching-ncaa-tournament/article_88e96aee-7dbe-5711-9cc3-1a15c73f093b.html

There are so many good stories that come out of March. The job Jim Crews is doing at Saint Louis in the memory of the late Rick Majerus is at the top. But there are others -- like the Drew family getting to see Bryce coach Valpo in the NCAAs with cancer possibly behind them -- that cannot be understated.

I guess Scott took the Christian thing to mean give bags of cash to the poor. But only if the poor have sons who are 6'8" witha 38" vertical leap.

Also Valpo is on ESPN where they've blown what was a 14 point lead. We will see what Bryce can do.

Also I have a personal rule to run far away anytime someone wants to talk about what a good Christian they are.

I don't want to make judgements about Scott but from the time they were teenagers you could see a difference in the way they approached their father's way of expressing his christianity. And in case you didn't know it the Drews are not Lutheran. Scott is much closer to the family faith at Baylor than the Drews are at Valpo. Their home church is Liberty Bible Church in Chesterton, IN (just north of Valpo).

http://www.lbchurch.org/

I think you all know that faith is very personal.

From his statements and actions Bryce has showed that expressing his faith is important to him. I have found that Bryce's expressions of faith have influenced my own spiritual life.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/9049737/valparaiso-win-reach-ncaa-tourney-not-only-good-news-drew-family-college-basketball[/url]

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/lopresti/2013/03/13/valparaiso-wright-state-horizon-league-championship/1983265/[/url]

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/crusaders-take-a-day-to-relax-after-clinching-ncaa-tournament/article_88e96aee-7dbe-5711-9cc3-1a15c73f093b.html

There are so many good stories that come out of March. The job Jim Crews is doing at Saint Louis in the memory of the late Rick Majerus is at the top. But there are others -- like the Drew family getting to see Bryce coach Valpo in the NCAAs with cancer possibly behind them -- that cannot be understated.

Enough man.

Take your Valpo links to a place where people give a flying fouck.

I recommend, oh I dont know, a Valpo board?

Enough man.

Take your Valpo links to a place where people give a flying fouck.

I recommend, oh I dont know, a Valpo board?

If everyone is not happy with the info I provide then I will go away. No problem. I am currently very actve on the Valpo board.

Back to basketball I believe Tanner is the most important assistant we have left I like DB and Whiesell but believe

TB kept Crews focused most of the season. crews seemed to buy in to this team late in the season when he saw things coming together. Crews also understood the importance of playing JB, JJ, CE, GG etc when some coaches would have stuck too long with the starters. We looked like a Tony La Russa team grinding it out for the post season so everyone comes in healthy although JJ and CE seemed to be walking wounded