Crawford does it again

Devils15

Mike is a finalist for Mr. Basketball. Here is an article and a few 4th quarter highlights.

http://www.indystar.com/interactive/article/20130312/SPORTS02/303120073/Who-should-win-IndyStar-Mr-Basketball-

My vote was for Clay Yeo, but he is a Valpo recruit. I truly think Zak Irvin will win because Indy has the biggest influence in that media market. Hamilton S.E. is just northeast of Indy along I-69.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesnt look like he is going to get high enough to stuff it in the 2nd picture. If that is the case we may be looking at the second coming of Bobby Hoyle.

BILLY Hoyle, you silly fuok. I thought the same thing, though.

Haha.... good stuff!

Seriously, though... Mike is a great kid. He is, in fact, white--- but he's no Billy Hoyle. He jumps well.

It is also true that his rankings have been hurt by the fact that he is pretty much a full-time golfer in the spring when AAU season is in full tilt. I believe that he played in a tournament here or there, but didn't concentrate full time on basketball during that time.

In my honest opinion, Mike is a big steal for St. Louis. I believe Mike wanted to commit before his senior season started and most of the bigger, power schools were coming in too late.

As far as Mr. Basketball goes, Mike is a candidate. However, as someone mentioned Zak Irvin (Michigan-bound) is located in the Indy-Metro region and Demetrius Jackson (Notre Dame-bound) is a McDonald's All-American. That doesn't mean they are better, it just means that those two facts are tough to beat. Of course, though, Mike's team is still alive and Irvin's team was eliminated in the first round and Jackson's team went 11-10 and were defeated in round 2.

Haha.... good stuff!

Seriously, though... Mike is a great kid. He is, in fact, white--- but he's no Billy Hoyle. He jumps well.

It is also true that his rankings have been hurt by the fact that he is pretty much a full-time golfer in the spring when AAU season is in full tilt. I believe that he played in a tournament here or there, but didn't concentrate full time on basketball during that time.

In my honest opinion, Mike is a big steal for St. Louis. I believe Mike wanted to commit before his senior season started and most of the bigger, power schools were coming in too late.

As far as Mr. Basketball goes, Mike is a candidate. However, as someone mentioned Zak Irvin (Michigan-bound) is located in the Indy-Metro region and Demetrius Jackson (Notre Dame-bound) is a McDonald's All-American. That doesn't mean they are better, it just means that those two facts are tough to beat. Of course, though, Mike's team is still alive and Irvin's team was eliminated in the first round and Jackson's team went 11-10 and were defeated in round 2.

Welcome! This board's sense of humor might take a little while to get used to. Appreciate the info.

Haha.... good stuff!

I know Crawford's preseason rankings in the state were not very high (One preseason listing had him ranked in the 20's among HS seniors), but is it fair to say he is now regarded as one of the top five players in the state? If so, his stock has gone WAY up based on his senior season performance. IF he was unsigned right now, is he the caliber of player who would be attracting interest from Big 12 or Big 10 caliber programs?

I don't know what black people racing have to do with this thread except to insinuate that they are faster than white people which is racist.

white people don't have the third muscle in their leg. it's simple geology.

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/boys%20sports/boys%20basketball/2012-13/2012132ARegionalBrackets.pdf

Tipton (25-2) plays Bowman Academy (16-9) this Saturday at 1:00 at Huntington North in the semifinals.

The winner plays the winner of Speedway (21-4) and Linton-Stockton (23-3) at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indy on Saturday, March 23.

I finally got around to watching the video mccarthyirish posted on the previous page. I like the way Crawford plays, from what I see there. He doesn't try to force anything but lets the offense come to him. Takes the first good look he gets. That's not something most high school players do.

At 6-5, he's got good size for a guy who shoots from anywhere. I could see him as an Ellis replacement.

But...but... Crews HATES recruiting!

I know you are on the west coast but Bernie M had a guest from the Sporting News on yesterday so I am sure you did not hear him. The guest wrote an article recently about Crews since he got their COY. This guy lives in StL oddly enough and he was talking about how he had been at several games this year because his 12 year old son and friends have now become Billiken fans because of their big run this year. When Bernie asked what his opinion was about Crews getting the job given that the Sporting News just named Crews COY, he said that the question while some might think is a no brainer he believes it is really complicated. He talked about how Crews' past record was "decent" but not great by any imagination during Crew's time at Evansville and Army. He also said that when Crews was at IN that he never really made much of a name for himself in the recruiting area because was really just an IN guy. He said that if you look at this team now the players are from all over and that was RM's trade mark - to reach far a field when necessary. He also said that he thought the team would ultimately benefit from having some local players on it but he knows that you can not do that at the expense of not taking very good players from elsewhere. He said that he just is not sure if Crews' track record in the area of recruiting would make him a good fit at SLU. He was not saying not to hire Crews but that Chris May has to really make sure that he picks the right coach for the job and not just take the easy way out. He also said that there may very well be a younger coach out there who would be a better fit. He thought Crews age was not a huge problem but that he was not sure if at this juncture in Crews life that he would have the time to build a national recruiting reputation and that since he had not done so to date maybe it was too much to ask now. This is the same thing that some of us on the board have been saying all long. The problem with the Crews issue is that many people have taken the position that if you are not carrying a sign with his name on it that you do not like the guy - that is absolutely wrong - he has done a great job given the situation he was put into and I for one are very appreciative of him but I am not going to let this cloud my objective evaluation of how he fits into our long term future. Sorry if I upset you but the program is at a crossroads and they can not gamble this opportunity away by simply doing the easy thing.

I know you are on the west coast but Bernie M had a guest from the Sporting News on yesterday so I am sure you did not hear him. The guest wrote an article recently about Crews since he got their COY. This guy lives in StL oddly enough and he was talking about how he had been at several games this year because his 12 year old son and friends have now become Billiken fans because of their big run this year. When Bernie asked what his opinion was about Crews getting the job given that the Sporting News just named Crews COY, he said that the question while some might think is a no brainer he believes it is really complicated. He talked about how Crews' past record was "decent" but not great by any imagination during Crew's time at Evansville and Army. He also said that when Crews was at IN that he never really made much of a name for himself in the recruiting area because was really just an IN guy. He said that if you look at this team now the players are from all over and that was RM's trade mark - to reach far a field when necessary. He also said that he thought the team would ultimately benefit from having some local players on it but he knows that you can not do that at the expense of not taking very good players from elsewhere. He said that he just is not sure if Crews' track record in the area of recruiting would make him a good fit at SLU. He was not saying not to hire Crews but that Chris May has to really make sure that he picks the right coach for the job and not just take the easy way out. He also said that there may very well be a younger coach out there who would be a better fit. He thought Crews age was not a huge problem but that he was not sure if at this juncture in Crews life that he would have the time to build a national recruiting reputation and that since he had not done so to date maybe it was too much to ask now. This is the same thing that some of us on the board have been saying all long. The problem with the Crews issue is that many people have taken the position that if you are not carrying a sign with his name on it that you do not like the guy - that is absolutely wrong - he has done a great job given the situation he was put into and I for one are very appreciative of him but I am not going to let this cloud my objective evaluation of how he fits into our long term future. Sorry if I upset you but the program is at a crossroads and they can not gamble this opportunity away by simply doing the easy thing.

+1 Very well said.

And to add.

1.Jim Crews appears to be a great person (I'm not seeing the hostile, demeaning, yelling, abusive, old-school coach from his appearance on the sidelines (nor did I see it with RM)-- maybe it's still there which is why I am/was so concerned about KC leaving -- who may be a "head case" and a "modern" prima donna typical of newer breed of AAU ball -- but who also may have left b/c of the tough coaching environment of Crews who does not have the resume/status that RM had. Crews cannot point to Andre Miller, Keith Van Horne... KC may have left b/c of such a coach. Maybe national Coach of the Year and this year's track record gives Crews the clout he did not have with KC a few months prior. And yes, RM was probably more abusive and even more "old school" but some guys can pull it off and others can't). And yes, I thought RM would have had more guys quit on him than he did. Further, Crews appears to be a pretty darn good "game-day" coach with the x's and o's and appears to be much closer to RM (and I agree with the prior poster who said he thinks this year's team is playing better under Crews than last year's team did under RM) than Porter Moser (sorry NH) who has proven to struggle miserably at such aspect of coaching - never one a game here at SLU and consistently underperformed at Illinois State with all the talent he assembled there. Keeping the program in the right direction next year and game day coaching is not my conern with Crews. Player development and continued recruiting -- especially when facing better teams in the new Big East -- really concerns me with Crews. Finally, Crews has certainly done better than I expected he/this team would do after watching the Santa Clara game, the other "shaky" wins we had before conference and then after our 0-2 start in conference play losing to Rhode Island!! Therefore, I am not yet sold on Jim Crews.

Now, if Crews turns out to the best we can get. Then, we should hire him. And, I'm not worried that Crews will leave and go elsewhere if we wait an little time longer. If hired, I will not second guess, whine and complain about Crews in every post I write. Instead, I am a Billikens fan and will fall in line and support the head coach we do hire. If we hire Crews and fails miserably, then I won't promise not to then say "I told you so" but ... Instead, if Fr. Biondi and Dr. C are again ready to make/keep SLU in the Top 25, then unlike many, I don't feel I am delusional to make a big splash with our next hire with a guy who has prior head coaching experience, who has been a head coach more than 1 or 2 seasons and who has prior success. If this is not a reality, then we should question how committed to Billiken basektball Fr. Biondi and Dr. C really are. I'm from Missouri - show me!!

I know Crawford's preseason rankings in the state were not very high (One preseason listing had him ranked in the 20's among HS seniors), but is it fair to say he is now regarded as one of the top five players in the state? If so, his stock has gone WAY up based on his senior season performance. IF he was unsigned right now, is he the caliber of player who would be attracting interest from Big 12 or Big 10 caliber programs?

Great question because, if unanswered, I can already sense another dumb post (not by ACE) suggesting we redshirt Mike Crawford!!

Very well said. However, I think it would be a good thing to hire Crews provided he interviews and demonstrates the commitment to sustaining a successful program. That includes wise recruiting. More likely than not, that's also going to include a coaching staff different from the current one. Crews can handle the strategy, but I think there must be some "hipper" guys to get a jump on recruiting.