Recruiting - 2013

@kshoe ----- you realize 200 words is good for me. I'm striving to improve (getting shorter) all the time.

<tele-hug>

200 words on billiken basketball = good

200 words on Washington st. Football = not so good. :)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a little interesting and may be the reason why Ro hasn't commited:

Randy O

Who wants to help me study for the sat? 11min

He probably isn't that good academically or doesn't check out academically

One good thing verbalcommits is good for is showing deleted tweets like this one

As I said a few dozen posts back, I have heard there may be more to the situation than just recruits taking their time.

Randy O

One good thing verbalcommits is good for is showing deleted tweets like this one

Ding ding.

Randy O

If he is having trouble getting the needed number on the SAT, then Miami (Ohio) probably is not a viable option. It is an extremely tough academic school with demanding entrance requirements. Much tougher than SLU. Maybe this is why LSU is now an option for him.

If he is having trouble getting the needed number on the SAT, then Miami (Ohio) probably is not a viable option. It is an extremely tough academic school with demanding entrance requirements. Much tougher than SLU. Maybe this is why LSU is now an option for him.

This is false.

SLU: Average GPA: 3.64, Avg. SAT: 1961, Avg. ACT: 29, Acceptance rate: 61%.

Miami: Average GPA: 3.47, Avg. SAT: 1832, Avg. ACT: 27, Acceptance rate: 73%.

Also, he has until August to hit whatever SAT score he needs. It might not be an issue; he may have just wanted to wait until the summer to take it. It's not a smart move for most HS students but if he's confident he'll get the minimum required by the NCAA, any of the schools on his list will accept him. I haven't heard that he's a major academic concern. He's coming out of Inglewood HS, which isn't going to put him on a level playing field with most of his peers academically wherever he goes. But if he's a good kid who works hard there's no reason not to take him; Jett and McCall were both coming from high school situations that would make SLU tough for them, and both have gotten it done in the classroom and will graduate.

I'm guessing he's doing some cramming; the next SAT date is this Saturday, 6/1.

And they're only one spot ahead of us in the U.S. News rankings.

Which is BS. I'm guessing it has to do with how nice Miami's campus is (seems like a private East Coast school; doesn't look like a Midwestern state school at all) or the quality of babes walking around there. Miami students are pretty much suburban Cincinnati kids who were B-students in high school and whose main ambition in college is heavy participation in Greek life (no offense). Academically, it's way overrated.

SLU, Miami (Oh.), Mizzou, Semo, Duke, and almost anywhere else you look have the same academic requirements for basketball. If the NCAA clears you, generally any school will clear you.

SLU, Miami (Oh.), Mizzou, Semo, Duke, and almost anywhere else you look have the same academic requirements for basketball. If the NCAA clears you, generally any school will clear you.

It's my understanding that some schools - Stanford, Northwestern, and the like - require student athletes, even in sports like football and basketball, to gain admission in order to play. From what I can tell, concessions are often (always?) made when it comes to admitting athletes, but they must still possess more than the NCAA's minimum requirements in order to be admitted. I could be way off base here, however.

But like you said, SLU's academic requirements for basketball players are no different than those of Miami.

Let me state what should be obvious. Without actual game playing and competition, rankings are subjective exercises with, let's be kind about this, variable claims to be realistic. For example, Fox Sports has two sets of power rankings in the net, one is dated 4/10/2013, this one rates the Bills at 15 th place. The other one is dated 4/14/2013, only 4 days later, it rates the Bills at 23 rd place. Both sets of rankings say pretty much the same about the Bills. Anyone thinks these are realistic?

Exactly. Just qualify, then pursue the easiest major the school offers. Same deal pretty much everywhere.

It's my understanding that some schools - Stanford, Northwestern, and the like - require student athletes, even in sports like football and basketball, to gain admission in order to play.

I KNOW it is like this at Northwestern, not sure about Stanford. It is always the go-to excuse when talking about the fact they've never been to an NCAA Tournament.

It's my understanding that some schools - Stanford, Northwestern, and the like - require student athletes, even in sports like football and basketball, to gain admission in order to play. From what I can tell, concessions are often (always?) made when it comes to admitting athletes, but they must still possess more than the NCAA's minimum requirements in order to be admitted. I could be way off base here, however.

But like you said, SLU's academic requirements for basketball players are no different than those of Miami.

Stanford, Northwestern, Virginia, and the ivies I know have their own admission standards. There may be a few other examples.

Stanford, Northwestern, Virginia, and the ivies I know have their own admission standards. There may be a few other examples.

Yeah, their standards are somewhere between what they would be for other students and what NCAA requirements are. They don't want to take a flyer on anyone so as not to open themselves up to criticism from the alumni base. Makes sense, as long as Northwestern grads are fine with a team that looks like a competitive YMCA squad.

Does no one recall the Craig Upchurch fiasco? Qualified by the NCAA but rejected by SLU?

You are talking about a quarter century ago. Times have changed.

Our entry standards are the same as everyone else (except for the few mentioned above) for highschool players.

For SLU, it's a case-by-case basis. They have to make a judgment call based on the kid's character. GPA and test scores alone aren't going to keep a guy out if he meets NCAA standards.

You are talking about a quarter century ago. Times have changed.

Our entry standards are the same as everyone else (except for the few mentioned above) for highschool players.

Exactly, Bringing up the Upchurch situation is irrelevant when looking at the current landscape and the admission standards now used by SLU for basketball.

Charlie Coles used to teach a Basketball Theory class at Miami when he was there. It was not a difficult class and - unsurprisingly - all basketball players took it. Former SLU assistant Jason Grunkenmeyer said it was basically story time.

Charlie Coles used to teach a Basketball Theory class at Miami when he was there. It was not a difficult class and - unsurprisingly - all basketball players took it. Former SLU assistant Jason Grunkenmeyer said it was basically story time.

Jim Harrick scoffs at this notion.