What Next for the A-10?

ACE

You would think the A-10 would be poised to react. None of this has to be a surprise with Temple, Xavier, Butler and Charlotte (is that next year?) gone and hopefully SLU and SVU next. What should they do? Since it appears we may be in this league at least one more year, it is in our best interest to have the league react immediately to try to strengthen it for next year and beyond. Schools I would consider targeting: Detroit, Davidson, Belmont, Valpo, Loyola, Iona, Drexel. Any others? Do it now!

I don't think the A-10 has to react at all. Assuming X, Butler, SLU, and UD leave (long with Charlotte & Temple), they still have 10 schools (Duquesne, LaSalle, St. Joes, VCU, Richmond, GW, Fordham, UMass, St. Bona, and Rhody). That includes 2 likely NCAA teams this year (VCU and LaSalle) and still mostly bball-centric schools. I think the remaining A-10 would still have 2 or 3 NCAA teams most years. The fact that most leaving are on the periphery of the conference geographically means the remaining schools have less travel costs. If a very strong program from another conference (much like Butler & VCU this year) want to join then they would consider letting them in, but they wouldn't need to add schools.

-quite frankly I hope after Tuesday I don't have to be concerned for more than one year and hope the conf leadership is doing something to prop up the conf in case we are still there

Agreed, but even if just for one year, it would be nice for us if they could fill a few spots with some decent options to help our rpi. With Fordham, Duquesne and URI, there are some rpi killers left in this league.

If anything, I would assume they try to pluck one or two teams from the CAA. The George Mason idea is sound. I don't know if the Philly schools would like the idea of Drexel or not.

UMass is a flight risk for sure with their football in mind.

If memory serves me right, was the A10 not flirting with George Mason? I think they would be a viable option. Belmont and Detroit would also be intriguing. How about as a wild card school to consider Oral Roberts?

No.

I don't think the A-10 has to react at all. Assuming X, Butler, SLU, and UD leave (long with Charlotte & Temple), they still have 10 schools (Duquesne, LaSalle, St. Joes, VCU, Richmond, GW, Fordham, UMass, St. Bona, and Rhody). That includes 2 likely NCAA teams this year (VCU and LaSalle) and still mostly bball-centric schools. I think the remaining A-10 would still have 2 or 3 NCAA teams most years. The fact that most leaving are on the periphery of the conference geographically means the remaining schools have less travel costs. If a very strong program from another conference (much like Butler & VCU this year) want to join then they would consider letting them in, but they wouldn't need to add schools.

If you're LaSalle, you've got to be loving this.

I could see them trying to go to 12 or 14 schools. Ok, figure UMass to bolt for the MAC. So that leaves them w/ 9 schools. Forget the foray into the midwest w/ the departure of the midwest schools. Concentrate on the East. A list of possibles; G.Mason, Sienna, Boston U or N.Eastern to replace UMass, try and lure Davidson away from the Southern Conference before they make a move the CAA to replace Charlotte, Iona, Stony Brook, etc. No shortage of schools that would be upgrading their conference affiliation by joining the A-10 and they all have similar philosophies to the A-10. That would still be a strong conference, just not as strong given who may be departing.

Someone on one of the other boards is claiming that if Dayton and SLU also leave the A10 will add two to get back to 12 and stop.

Mason, Drexel, Siena, Davidson all make some sense as choices. They may throw up their hands and forget about any non-eastern schools after their Midwest contingent would have bolted.

Lot of eastern folks really down on George Mason. Says their athletic department is woefuly underfunded, and they've done nothing since their FF run.

I wouldn't say nothing. They did make the tournament in 2011 and beat Villanova to get to the round of 32. They haven't been gangbusters since the Final Four run, but they have been respectable.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BACKHANDtheRICAN" data-cid="347950" data-time="1362156663"><p>

Why don't we sack up, pay the exit fee, and join the Big East next year vs. the following year?</p></blockquote>

Because as it has been said everywhere its not our choice. The Big East only wants 9 teams they know they can't do that because of fox so they are going to do it for one year make there extra money. It's not really the exit fee keeping us out a year.

I wouldn't say nothing. They did make the tournament in 2011 and beat Villanova to get to the round of 32. They haven't been gangbusters since the Final Four run, but they have been respectable.

Took that off the VCU board. That old CAA rivalry is quite vicious.

If memory serves me right, was the A10 not flirting with George Mason? I think they would be a viable option. Belmont and Detroit would also be intriguing. How about as a wild card school to consider Oral Roberts?

ORU just moved from the Horizon to the Big South. Doubtful they would jump again so fast.

Jerry Palm in his latest bracket has us playing Big South champ Stephen F Austin in the 4/13 matchup. Belmont, Davidon, Drexel and GMU would all be solid additions to the "new A-10". Out of curiousity, wonder how the Wiz would have the c7 shake out with SLU, Creighton, Dayton, Butler and X in the conf? Also, where the Wiz would rank the 4 schools mentioned above in the current A10.

Jerry Palm in his latest bracket has us playing Big South champ Stephen F Austin in the 4/13 matchup. Belmont, Davidon, Drexel and GMU would all be solid additions to the "new A-10". Out of curiousity, wonder how the Wiz would have the c7 shake out with SLU, Creighton, Dayton, Butler and X in the conf? Also, where the Wiz would rank the 4 schools mentioned above in the current A10.

Bills by 9 over Stephen Austin (B rated)

Belmont....B+

Davidson...B

Drexel........C+

G Mason....C+

C7

GT........A+

Marq.....A

Prov......B+

Vill.........B+

St. J.......B

Se Hall...B-

DeP........C+