C7 News and Rumors

SLUDrew

If that's true> we have to pretty much get into the NCAAs as an independent. That would be a trick. Also su^^^ since we have a nice core of seniors coming back.

WOW, and I thought Bernadette was the nice motherly type.

I could care less. Personally, I'd rather ALL teams end the stupid conference tournaments. What's the purpose? To get an undeserving team into the Tourney? The better teams have nothing to gain but everything to lose. This year, as the better team, we had to beat Butler at third time and VCU a second time. What's the point? VCU ended up a 5 seed anyway. Had we lost to VCU, I had the feeling we'd drop to a 6 seed and VCU get either a 4 or 5 seed.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe the A-10 would do that. If the deal is $1million exit fee if less them a years notice and we give them years notice and they do that, we've got a way out of the exit fee.

Yes. IMO, these exit fees don't seem to be a clear-cut and simple as they seem. Leaving conferences is now becoming more and more common, and informal, non-judicial precedence is being set, but I've got to believe the enforceability of many of the terms, especially from state to state, in the contracts between the schools and their leagues is still uncertain. Same with the NCAA credits. Still, a contract is a contract and if certain benefits (Conf Tournament) are normally afforded it's full members, then the denial of these benefits to a full member could sure seem to be a prior breach by the A10 which could offset the responsibility of SLU and UD to pay the exit fees.

And again, if the C7 still has 3 football schools holding over for next year, and if X, CU and BU are asked to join next year, then that's 13 teams. SLU and UD would be teams 14 and 15 and could be "too many" for next year. Again, it seems like the B5 (Basketball 5 of X, BU, CU, SLU and UD) cannot join the C7 until the remaining F3 (3 Football schools of the Big East) get out like ND did.

Yes. IMO, these exit fees don't seem to be a clear-cut and simple as they seem. Leaving conferences is now becoming more and more common, and informal, non-judicial precedence is being set, but I've got to believe the enforceability of many of the terms, especially from state to state, in the contracts between the schools and their leagues is still uncertain. Same with the NCAA credits. Still, a contract is a contract and if certain benefits (Conf Tournament) are normally afforded it's full members, then the denial of these benefits to a full member could sure seem to be a prior breach by the A10 which could offset the responsibility of SLU and UD to pay the exit fees.

And again, if the C7 still has 3 football schools holding over for next year, and if X, CU and BU are asked to join next year, then that's 13 teams. SLU and UD would be teams 14 and 15 and could be "too many" for next year. Again, it seems like the B5 (Basketball 5 of X, BU, CU, SLU and UD) cannot join the C7 until the remaining F3 (3 Football schools of the Big East) get out like ND did.

The C7 will have no ties to any football schools next year. It's just the C7 schools and any new additions - X, BU, CU and hopefully SLU with Dayton/Richmond.

Yeah, the rest of the billikens.com world found that link at noon yesterday.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24015

I am confused, how does the A10 win with this approach. Are they saying that while we can play A10 teams they are willing to give up the money if we make the NCAA next year? This makes no sense - how do you attract new members if the word out there is that you pull this kind of stunt. I thought the the Horizon league was bush when they did that to Butler and I gave good marks to the A10 for picking up the slack for Butler this year. I do think that it does make Butler look bad for leaving after one year but the problem is when opportunity knocks what choice do you have. In our case as well as Dayton and X we have been good members for a number of years so if we leave it is not like we are running out without paying our dues. Funny, when we first got into the A10 the league treated us like a second class citizen, made no attempts to help us with scheduling to cut down on unnecessary travel nor to schedule our double games with closer teams. The TV package ended up being worse for us but better for the bottom feeders and they didn't really care that much. Oh well, I guess this is all for the best - kind of like a relationship that is souring so the best is to simply call it over quickly and move on. I could see how this new development would force the new league to go to 12 teams next year to protect everyone.

Didn't know where else to put it, but assuming crews doesn't want/get the job and we get in the new big east, could we get Tad Boyle? He's done a pretty nice job at CU and I don't see him being a lifer there.

Not going to happen - I have a friend who coached with Boyle at the high school level in CO and still stays in touch with him off and on. He has told me that the CO job is Boyle's dream job. Boyle is from CO and maybe he played there - not sure about that.

Not going to happen - I have a friend who coached with Boyle at the high school level in CO and still stays in touch with him off and on. He has told me that the CO job is Boyle's dream job. Boyle is from CO and maybe he played there - not sure about that.

Really? Wow, that's surprising. Not saying we could get him but I'd be surprised if he wouldn't move on to a bigger job some day.

I am confused, how does the A10 win with this approach. Are they saying that while we can play A10 teams they are willing to give up the money if we make the NCAA next year? This makes no sense - how do you attract new members if the word out there is that you pull this kind of stunt. I thought the the Horizon league was bush when they did that to Butler and I gave good marks to the A10 for picking up the slack for Butler this year. I do think that it does make Butler look bad for leaving after one year but the problem is when opportunity knocks what choice do you have. In our case as well as Dayton and X we have been good members for a number of years so if we leave it is not like we are running out without paying our dues. Funny, when we first got into the A10 the league treated us like a second class citizen, made no attempts to help us with scheduling to cut down on unnecessary travel nor to schedule our double games with closer teams. The TV package ended up being worse for us but better for the bottom feeders and they didn't really care that much. Oh well, I guess this is all for the best - kind of like a relationship that is souring so the best is to simply call it over quickly and move on. I could see how this new development would force the new league to go to 12 teams next year to protect everyone.

If you look at the A10 history, they took Dayton and SLU at kind of low points. Dayton was terrible in the GMW and CUSA did not want them. SLU was stuck in mediocrity with a expensive arena to build and was desperately needing a viable conference since the Big East said no. X was different. X owned the MCC when they left. So maybe thought they did us & UD a favor.

Some things did get better as time went along. Especially after we got Majerus and Bernadette became commissioner. Our pod was X, UD and Duq, can't get any closer. Wasn't that the result of Majerus bellyaching and a way to kind of shut him up. TV did improve with the new CBS contract and the 9 or 10 games we had on FOX MW.

I guess, judging what CAA did with VCU & Horizon did with Butler, do what is necessary for a mid-major conference to survive.

ohmegerd, not getting into this conference will kill the program I've been following since February! JK, abas. The old BE is most likely taking the name American 12.

Yeah, no. I've been going to games since I was 8. My grandpa has had season tickets since the 80s. I went to Colombus last year. Nice try, I am the farthest thing from a bandwagon.

Generally agree with you. At the same time, we went 10-6 in conference play in our first year of the A10 and finished tied for 3rd -- that year alone should have give us more respect than we received. The next year, our last with Soderberg, we won 20 games (but only 8-8 in conference) but dropped to 7th (actually tied for 7th) before starting the RM years when we finished 9th and tied for 9th his first 2 years - but still went 7-9 and 8-8 in conference play. We were terrible only one (1) year -- finished 10th during the painful The Situation year - we went 6-10 in conference - our worst year in the A10.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

March 19, 2013

To: Xavier Athletics Ticket Holders

A very special announcement will take place on Wednesday, March 20 at 10:45 a.m. in the Duff Family Banquet Room in Cintas Center regarding the future of Xavier University.

We would be honored if you would join the Xavier community for this historic announcement.

Again, the announcement is happening Wednesday, March 20 at 10:45 a.m. in Cintas Center.

If you cannot attend, please watch the announcement live at www.xavier.edu/letsgox.

I don't know why I got this as I've never been to an X game, but it looks like a big announcement

This just went out to Xavier season ticket holders:

transparent.gifheader.jpg

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

March 19, 2013

A very special announcement will take place on Wednesday, March 20 at 10:45 a.m. in the Duff Family Banquet Room in Cintas Center regarding the future of Xavier University.

We would be honored if you would join the Xavier community for this historic announcement.

Again, the announcement is happening Wednesday, March 20 at 10:45 a.m. in Cintas Center.

If you cannot attend, please watch the announcement live at www.xavier.edu/letsgox.

x_alone.jpg

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

March 19, 2013

I don't know why I got this as I've never been to an X game, but it looks like a big announcement

Rumor is they are dropping down to Div II to focus more on academics....

This just went out to Xavier season ticket holders:

transparent.gifheader.jpg

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

March 19, 2013

x_alone.jpg

They've accepted a bid to the Women's NIT?